Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How good was Steve Smith?

I'm giving some love to NBA TV analyst Steve Smith. I like his stories on the Open Court series on that station.

How good was he in his prime seasons with the Atlanta Hawks and even with the Miami Heat and Portland Trailblazers. Where does he rank with the swings of that era (the 90s'?)

He seemed like he was good for 18/4/4 in those seasons.

College superstar

Default Re: How good was Steve Smith?

Although their games were not particularly the same, I always viewed him as basically a Joe Johnson caliber player.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Although their games were not particularly the same, I always viewed him as basically a Joe Johnson caliber player.
    Where would he rank with the Dan Majerle's, Sean Elliot's, John Starks' of the world as I believe that was his tier and not MJ, Drexler, Richmond, Penny, ect?

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Where would he rank with the Dan Majerle's, Sean Elliot's, John Starks' of the world as I believe that was his tier and not MJ, Drexler, Richmond, Penny, ect?
    Steve smith is way better than these guys.

College superstar

He obviously was nowhere near the MJ, Drexler tier as he was never in the MVP discussion, but I would consider him to be better than the Starks/ Majerle group. He was probably near the bottom of the Sprewell/ Alan Houston. But then again, on any given night that group could overlap.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Agree. Same type of deal. Good 2nd option type.. or 1st option on bad team. Good all around game/stats but not a particularly high impact player and not capable of carrying a team. I liked watching him quite a bit on the Blazers.

He obviously was nowhere near the MJ, Drexler tier as he was never in the MVP discussion, but I would consider him to be better than the Starks/ Majerle group. He was probably near the bottom of the Sprewell/ Alan Houston. But then again, on any given night that group could overlap.
    Who was in the Sprewell/Allan Houston tier? I'm guessing Eddie Jones, Petro??

Jordan/Drexler/Miller/Richmond/Penny/Pippen/Hill

Sprewell/Houston/

Majerle/Elliot/Starks

The injury bug hit Smitty early in his career with those knees. He still rebounded to become an All Star guard. However he was way more athletic before the injuries. At 6'8 and 215, he was very skillfull. Excellent shooter from anywhere, crafty slasher with very good to great handles (has that Steve Smith hesitation dribble that was awesome and well respected), and he was a very good passer.

To me, I actually think Smitty could have been a notch below Penny if it wasn't for the bad knees. They were very similar in terms of IQ, scoring skillset, ability to play PG, SG, and SF. Penny was just more dynamic and athletic. Both suffered injuries that affected their games. Smitty rebounded better from his injuries better than Penny, even though he caught the bug earlier in his career than Penny did. I really dug that Pippen-Smith backcourt in Portland. It was one of the biggest backcourts in league history. And of course both guys were very skilled. In terms of size and skill as a package, there aren't many backcourts if any I can recall with two 6'7-6'8 guards with that level of skill.

I'm giving some love to NBA TV analyst Steve Smith. I like his stories on the Open Court series on that station.

How good was he in his prime seasons with the Atlanta Hawks and even with the Miami Heat and Portland Trailblazers. Where does he rank with the swings of that era (the 90s'?)

He seemed like he was good for 18/4/4 in those seasons.
    Yeah he was a serviceable SG, nobody really feared him but he had his moments.

I agree. He was on another level than Starks and Majerle. Smitty had a size and skill combo that was awesome. And he was one of the best shooter in the L on top of it. However, Sprewell and Houston I would have took over Smitty in that time period. But once again, Smitty suffered those injuries that took away from his game. If Smitty never suffered those injuries, he was on track to be at least as good as Houston and Sprewell. I feel even better cause of the attributes he brought to the table. Smitty also could post up any guard in the L. Many seasons, Smitty was one of the the biggest SG's in the L at 6'8 and 215 pounds. He had a tremendous post game. I would go so far to say in terms of scoring arsenal, MJ, Mitch, and Steve had the most complete scoring skillsets in that era for SG's. Smitty also won a gold medal in the Olympics in 2000.
    Last edited by bizil; 12-05-2011 at 02:27 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Good enough that the Blazers trade Jim Jackson and Isaiah Rider for him.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Im not sure people are generally aware of it but the Heat tried to make him a point guard for a while. He was kinda the first next Magic....briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Im not sure people are generally aware of it but the Heat tried to make him a point guard for a while. He was kinda the first next Magic....briefly.
    Rice was playing SG , or Minor if Rice was at the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Yeah,on Open Court he said Mugsy Bouges made him change his position.

Also, I think I would have taken a prime Smitty over prime Houston. Houston might score a little better but Smith is gonna do everything else a little better for me.

Yeah,on Open Court he said Mugsy Bouges made him change his position.

Also, I think I would have taken a prime Smitty over prime Houston. Houston might score a little better but Smith is gonna do everything else a little better for me.
    this