Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Your 2014 Game of The Year?

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Walking Dead Season Two by Telltale was pretty good this year too, but not as good as the first season imo.
    Not even close to as good as season 1. Episodes 4 and 5 were great, but the first three episodes were kind of shitty imo. At least it ended on a strong note.

Home of the 16

Teltale games TWD or GoT.

Watch Dogs just didn't deliver.

NBA lottery pick

Divinity: Original Sin and Transistor are both on sale right now on steam, and both have been showing up in game of the year lists. I haven't played either one yet so I'm gonna use this opportunity to check them both out.

This is the worst year I can remember. Shadow of Mordor is going to walk away with GOTY from a lot of reputable publications, and it's essentially a mediocre Beat 'em up.

Guess I'm going with Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    This is the worst year I can remember. Shadow of Mordor is going to walk away with GOTY from a lot of reputable publications, and it's essentially a mediocre Beat 'em up.
    Mordor was far more than that. The nemesis system is pretty innovative and unique, and the gameplay in general is just sublime.

But I agree that 2014 was kind of a weak year.

My two favorite games this year are both from Japan and both 3DS, Youkai Watch 2 (a pokemon type of game with more personality) and Monster Hunter 4G (which is all kinds of awesome). I thought for the big consoles this was one of the weaker years I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Mordor was far more than that. The nemesis system is pretty innovative and unique, and the gameplay in general is just sublime.

But I agree that 2014 was kind of a weak year.
    Come on. The combat system was a good copy of Batman Arkham Asylum (a 5 year old game that had much more going for it), the nemesis system was good and it looked good. And everything else about it was bad.

It was a really good B-title and a surprise, but Game of the Year material? Very weak.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Games that I enjoyed:

Transistor
    Wasteland 2
    Dragon Age Inquisition (so far)
    The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (my most played game)
    South Park The Stick of Truth
    Walking Dead Season 2

All great, maybe 8 or 9/10. No true masterpieces this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Games that I enjoyed:

Transistor
    Wasteland 2
    Dragon Age Inquisition (so far)
    The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (my most played game)
    South Park The Stick of Truth
    Walking Dead Season 2

All great, maybe 8 or 9/10. No true masterpieces this year though.
    Have you played Sunset Overdrive? I think it was the most unique and fun game this year. A mix btw. GTA, Tony Hawk and Sonic

NBA lottery pick

Forgot about Velocity 2X, been playing a lot of that on my Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Forgot about Velocity 2X, been playing a lot of that on my Vita.
    Is it fun? Specifically the top down part? That kind of scared me off. How much is it?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Is it fun? Specifically the top down part? That kind of scared me off. How much is it?
    I get what you're saying, I'm not usually a fan of shooters either. It's not really like your typical shooter though. The game is more about speed and getting through levels as fast as possible. As you play through the game you get a really good handle on the mechanics and it becomes very satisfying to get those perfect runs on levels.

As far as price I paid $20 for it, I don't know if it's different in the States or not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Have you played Sunset Overdrive? I think it was the most unique and fun game this year. A mix btw. GTA, Tony Hawk and Sonic
    sunset overdrive was high on my list. I thought I'd hate the jokes based on the previews and ads but I actually thought they were surprisingly well written. I just played wolfenstein this week (got it for christmas) that was pretty good but I'd still rate dragon age, alien and sunset overdrive over it. This year wasn't great but there were still some fun titles. Tomodachi life was fun if your into that sort of game too, bravely default came out in the U.S too this year (last year for us here) and if i were doing a GOTY for american releases that would win it hands down for me.

I just started telltale's walking dead, so far I'm stumped as to how it got scored so high and I was a fan of old point and click games (monkey island is still one of my favourites of all time and I spent a lot of time on kings quest, police quest and leisure suit larry in particular). It's buggy already and seems to lack the actual puzzles old adventure games had. Feels more like a slow paced graphic novel, I've read that choices you make don't actually change the story either just the conversation options. I've already hit some poorly designed game logic as well where I've had conversations about things that haven't actually been revealed yet in the story because I entered a room without fully talking to everyone in the previous room. Seems amateur. The audio on the xbox one version isn't mixed right either, some lines are delivered loud and bassy to the point that they break up a little, hasn't been normalised. I'll keep going with it because I've read it gets better towards the end but so far it feels decent but mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Come on. The combat system was a good copy of Batman Arkham Asylum (a 5 year old game that had much more going for it), the nemesis system was good and it looked good. And everything else about it was bad.

It was a really good B-title and a surprise, but Game of the Year material? Very weak.
    I played it using the ps gold headphones and Mordor was an amazing game, and this coming from someone that shit all over arkham.

National High School Star

Super Smash Bros Wii U
    Monster Hunter Ultimate 3

Saying this about Mordor? The combat was way more fluid and more satisfying than Batman, Something about battling Uruks and decapitating them compared to just knocking out thugs i guess.