Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lopez vs. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
    Lopez with 3 rebounds in 40 minutes against the Heat without Kris Humphries playing (so no excuses that Humprhries takes away rebounds from him). And again, shot a poor percentage, because he settled for jumpshots.

Not to mention, his double teams are as weak as can be, he doesn't even pressure the guy with the ball, he just stands there with his hand raised like an idiot.

He made Zydrunas Illgauskas and Erick Dampier look like freaking Duncan and Robinson.

I'm obviously not blaming the loss only on him, but Lopez is a proven loser. You will not win a championship with him as your #2 or even #3 best player on your team. The fact that he is called a "cornerstone" is laughable.

We are not set at the center position, and he is becoming more and more expendable in my eyes.

Please let us be able to trade him for Dwight Howard. That way, we can actually have a center with a pair of balls, and Lopez can go to Disney World anytime he wants to.

Lopez is a bum, a class A bum. A clutz, a loser, a wuss, a wimp, a mental midget.

If I were 7 feet tall, I swear I would own EVERY rebound that came into my vicinity. I wouldn't let some punks get the best of me.
    How many better centers can the nets realistically trade for. Think about that. The Nets just can't magically trade for a center that is better than Lopez. What assets do we have besides Lopez and Williams? NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    How many better centers can the nets realistically trade for. Think about that. The Nets just can't magically trade for a center that is better than Lopez. What assets do we have besides Lopez and Williams? NOTHING.
    Depending upon what we can get back for Lopez, we may need to fill other needs than the center position. If we're good at every other position both on offense and defense, I would trade Lopez and settle for an average center.

The only thing Lopez does consistently is score the ball, and that's usually without putting pressure on the defense (drawing fouls), because he takes mostly jumpshots. EVERYTHING else he does is a liability. He HURTS the team.

Scoring 22 points a night isn't so sexy when you give up 26 to your man and also let the other team's guards waltz in and score easy layups. Think of why even with such a prolific scorer like him, we still lose most of our games even against bad teams. It's because he has no defensive presence. He scores on one end, and gives layups/open shots on the other.

My point is he is not untouchable anymore, it's not even close. If teams are calling, Billy King better be weighing in the options. And we should always be pursuing Dwight Howard, no matter how slim the chances are.

Look at the bigger picture. Deron Williams is someone who wants to play for a contender. At least we need are players who are winners, guys who will do whatever it takes to win. Brook Lopez has consistently shown us that he is not that guy. And as a #1/#2 option, the Nets will never win, just look at the past 3 seasons with Brook.

And plus, miracle trades can be made, just look at the one we just did.
    Last edited by RecSpecs110; 04-05-2011 at 12:25 AM.

   

recspecs- no offense, but has anyone ever told you that you can be a bit of a killjoy?

i -do- realise that you're just calling the shots as you see them, and i appreciate the honesty in that very much. more than i can explain. OTOH, sometimes (IMO) you can bury your teeth into an issue so firmly that it seems almost impossible for you to let go.

i mean, i KNOW you want the best for the nets... i always feel that very strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    recspecs- no offense, but has anyone ever told you that you can be a bit of a killjoy?

i -do- realise that you're just calling the shots as you see them, and i appreciate the honesty in that very much. more than i can explain. OTOH, sometimes (IMO) you can bury your teeth into an issue so firmly that it seems almost impossible for you to let go.

i mean, i KNOW you want the best for the nets... i always feel that very strongly.
    People have said I'm weird for how hard/passionate I am about the Nets. And honestly, I completely understand. In any other circumstance, I'm normal/cool/indifferent. But again when it comes to the Nets, I can get wrapped up.

I post over at Netsdaily as well, and those guys are just as diehard as I am. They say the same things I do about Brook and the rest of the team. Think of like 100 me's, I know crazy right? As heated as I can get, the Nets are very frustrating to watch, and I think this forum is more chill/accepts mediocrity than I get upset.

Bottom line is that I expect the Nets to play with heart and with a purpose, so that they deserve the few true fans that they have. And if they don't, I'm gonna ***** about it, I'm sorry but that's the way I am.

   

well, i've been posting at netsdaily longer than you have, and i've seen the reaction on lopez cut both ways ever since he's been drafted.

well, i've been posting at netsdaily longer than you have, and i've seen the reaction on lopez cut both ways ever since he's been drafted.
    I, as well as others, had nothing but praise for Lopez his first two years (even with his consistent flaws), but this year (especially this last stretch of games with DWill) was the breaking point.

And "cut both ways" is a euphemism in that most of the board is highly critical of Lopez this season with some members defending him with "he's still young" and "he had mono" excuses.

And what screen do you use? I had a feeling you did post there but wasn't sure.
    Last edited by RecSpecs110; 04-06-2011 at 12:47 AM.

   

same ID last time i checked.
    *yep- same ID* although i see that i registered two months after they opened the boards to the public, so it's possible you did beat me to that.

and - surprise surprise - i disagree with your evaluation that most of the board is highly critical of lopez. you've got confirmation bias IMO.

anyway, i hesitated to say this before, but i think you're in for a long, painful offseason if you're aching for them to trade lopez. it's just not going to happen for any number of reasons, only some of those related to how good or bad the NBA perceives him to be.

you know who i miss at the center spot?
    todd mccullough.

but now he's a pinball collector with a huge paunch.

same ID last time i checked.
    *yep- same ID* although i see that i registered two months after they opened the boards to the public, so it's possible you did beat me to that.

and - surprise surprise - i disagree with your evaluation that most of the board is highly critical of lopez. you've got confirmation bias IMO.

anyway, i hesitated to say this before, but i think you're in for a long, painful offseason if you're aching for them to trade lopez. it's just not going to happen for any number of reasons, only some of those related to how good or bad the NBA perceives him to be.

you know who i miss at the center spot?
    todd mccullough.

but now he's a pinball collector with a huge paunch.
    I've seen most of the comments after each game and before each game for the better part of this whole season. It's not bias. Did you see the comments after the Knicks game? Literally everybody was writing in caps going after his head. I almost felt bad for the guy.

The fact that a few of the posters defending Lopez have to say "Why all the Lopez hate?" or "Why is everyone hating on Lopez?" and show statistics to try to defend their point is pretty indicative that a decent portion of the board is critical of him. Whether or not it's justified.

I'm not aching for the Nets to trade Lopez, I'm just removing the "untouchable" status that he has carried around yet not backed up. If we get an opportunity to get Howard, then I would look for a trade. Or if we can get quality NBA starters at the PF, SF, and SG positions, I would maybe consider a trade depending upon the actual players we get back.

Todd Macculloch? Alright, I honestly think we should just agree to disagree, because it's clear that you accept mediocrity. I also remember you supporting Jason Collins, too. Do you have some sort of favoritism towards soft slow big men?
    Last edited by RecSpecs110; 04-06-2011 at 11:39 PM.

   

ooooookkkaaay....
    pardon me while i go sharpen a pencil and stick it in my eye.

Now what would compel you to do that? Are you related to any of those players?

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

If you're post is intended to only say Lopez is no longer "untouchable" then I agree RecSpecs110. Will he be traded? I think the Nets may try to trade him,eventually because they want Dwight Howard, but putting Lopez out in the trade market is a very risky buisness because at nearly 23 years old, offers will come flying in left and right, and the Nets would never want to give Lopez up for nothing less then a cornerstone peice. Several Nets reporters have already said the Nets are interested in Dwight Howard, Williams is interested in Dwight, and gaining a center like Howard means losing Lopez, and if that's what needs to happen, King will make it happen. But my opinion is the Nets are very happy with Lopez currently, and one or two years ago they claimed he was untouchable, and would remain untouchable for the years to come, but as good and young Lopez is, I'm sure the Nets would pull the trigger for a great deal involving Lopez.

*And to comment on his talent and what he brings to the table every night, I am very satisfied. He may not be the #1 option, but his stats prove he can play, and putting up these numbers at a young age can only mean good news. I realize his rebounding numbers are pathetic, and his defense needs improvement, but atleast we're not saying he has the skillset Petro has, and just by us mentioning a trade for Lopez for Howard must clearly mean that Lopez is not a bum and that he is very good. I'm not saying it would be a straight-up deal Lopez for Howard, but if the Magic got Lopez he would obviously be the Magic's biggest peice, so at nearly 23 years old I am not rady to put Lopez down for his struggle.
    Last edited by It's A VC3!!!; 04-07-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Personally, I'm happy with Brooks production. I also would much rather keep him over Dwight (one dimensional) Howard.

I would rather see the team peruse Danny Granger and build around Lopez and Deron Williams. Just my .02 cents.

Lopez was never untouchable in my opinion. I still love his offensive game. His rebounding is somethIng that fans should be afraid of though. I dont see him improving very much. Idk why his numbers have been so low this season. Last time the nets switched coaches (frank to kiki) his rebounding wasnt affected. Is the coach the problem? Back on topic though, he was always tradeable for a player like howard.
    Last edited by Nets fan 93; 04-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.

my "lopez is a bum" comment was directed towards his lack of mental toughness. i know skills. ive seen him beast. he has all the physical qualities to beast on both ends, but his head is not in the game. when the pressure is on, he continues to fold. and you cannot win playoff games, let alone championships, with your best player folding in pressure situations. that was my point.

lopez is a good player, but he is not a great player. he does not have the attributes to lead a team. so unless we get some quality nba talent around him, he is expendable imo. for example, if we had the 2002-2003 roster with lopez, that would be awesome. thats a contender.

but lopez is our only effective option that won't cut it.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
    Now what would compel you to do that? Are you related to any of those players?
    1- think of it as an alternative to banging my head against a brick wall.
    2- yes- i'm related to all other human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    ...Idk why his numbers have been so low this season. Last time the nets switched coaches (frank to kiki) his rebounding wasnt affected. Is the coach the problem?...
    take your pick of any of these:

- lingering case of mono.
    - playing under a sanity-challenged coach.
    - right arm filling up with calcium, making it painful to use in a basketball game.

or let me put it another way- do any of those things sound like reasons why lopez should be playing better this season?