Banned

Default Will the eighth generation consoles be defined by the RPG genre?

The seventh generation consoles were defined by the adventure genre with games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto V and the Batman: Arkham series being some of the best of that gen.

With the onslaught of new RPG action games such as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, do you think this gen will be defined by these type of games?

Default Re: Will the eighth generation consoles be defined by the RPG genre?

Call of Duty defined the previous generation of consoles, not adventure games.

Uncharted, the Last of Us, Batman, Red Dead. Non of these games even crack the top 10 of best selling last gen games.

Besides, action RPGs like the Mass Effect, Fable, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, very popular in the last generation also.

Default Re: Will the eighth generation consoles be defined by the RPG genre?

I certainly hope so. Last gen every game was a shooter... For a person that isn't a big shooter guy, it was a little rough. I like a little COD multi here and there, and Destiny has my attention at the moment, but give me an rpg, or racing game every day of the week.

That said, I don't want every game to he shoehorned into a genre, just because that's the it genre of the moment. Checking off boxes is not the way games should be made. Not every game needs to have guns, or a multiplayer mode, just like every game doesn't need to be a huge open world.

I know I said my favourite genre us rpg and racing, and I don't like shooters, but I'd trade every game for a COD zombies map pack. Something about zombies speaks to my soul like no other game can. Being an elite player certainly likely helps with that too. I'm good at most games, far better than average, but I'd never say I'm elite in any of them, except zombies.