Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lilmagicjohnson
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default How do you get better handles?

My jumper is wet to the college three, but I realize my handles suck.

Mostly because my jumper is good, I work the triple threat alot, and then also in the post I have an up and under, spin move, and good hook shot.

So I get by with my game, however I'm only 6'1 so I should have a better handle than I do

I've started to realize I dribble almost entirely right handed and nearly always go right every time. This makes my triple threat not as effective if I have such bad handles.

I think this is because in middle school when I really started playing basketball seriously, and was balling 3 hours a day, I broke my left hand playing football and had a cast on it for 6 weeks, but kept playing ball anyways, shooting one handed, and dribbling only with my right

So anyways are there any exercises to help me get way better handle, should I just run around the court a billion times dribbling with my left hand? How long should it take to get good handles if I practice alot, like a year?

Default Re: How do you get better handles?

6'1 no handles? For the love of Allah.

1. Get an appropriate weight to work of your agility.
    2. Dribble alot and have the ball more
    3. Drills

Learning to shoot layups

Learn some tricks with the ball. Yeah I mean, learn some freestyle basketball.

Those tricks are not always useful in a real game and trying them in real games might be counter-productive, so you don't see a lot of pros doing that... However, if you ask Dwyane Wade to do some tricks for dribbling, he will know A LOT of tricks.

Learning these will make you "know" the ball, you know what I mean? You get familiarized with the ball, with it's reactions, you know how to have control of it and move with it... Not just shoot it.

Your ballhandling improves a lot thanks to difficult fancy tricks you can learn.

^ false. You never start from hard-tricks, and dribble-under-the-leg fiasco, etc. Start slow, I started by simple dribbling and stuck to fundamental dribbling. I worked my way by turning my wrist, step-backs, etc. Starting from hardcore fundamental tricks is not a good idea

lilmagicjohnson

Quote Originally Posted by J000
    6'1 no handles? For the love of Allah.

1. Get an appropriate weight to work of your agility.
    2. Dribble alot and have the ball more
    3. Drills
    well i got handles but only decent right handed handles, and I cant like dribble through my legs without looking like people with good handles can, yep I can't even do that so that's to show you the level of my handles, however if not in traffic and simply running I can go top speed with right hand and won't lose the ball or anything, but I need way better handles man, if I get handles to match my jumper my triple threat will be unstoppable against the guys i play against

and yeh I never play point in my life at all maybe thats why my handles suck?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmagicjohnson
    and I cant like dribble through my legs without looking like people with good handles can
    Well if you can't do that stick with fundamentals I'm 100% sure it will come. Dribble at a comfortable speed to a point where you can move through traffic. Fundamentals first then tricks last. Luckily for me, I can do both and started from fundamentals. Im not extreme N1 playa, I'm a ****[COLOR="Black"]in[/COLOR]g afghan, the basic dribble behind the back, under-your-leg, etc.

lilmagicjohnson

^ false. You never start from hard-tricks, and dribble-under-the-leg fiasco, etc. Start slow, I started by simple dribbling and stuck to fundamental dribbling. I worked my way by turning my wrist, step-backs, etc. Starting from hardcore fundamental tricks is not a good idea
    ok so what are fundamentals drills I should work on, having fundamental handles would match the rest of my game actually, because I play mostly with fundamentals, not flashy, just simple and solid.

Yeh my only dribbling move is behind my back, it works but then isnt as effective cuz i go from right to left, and because my left hand sucks i have to switch it first to my right after I beat my man, and then the man can just catch up easy

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Dribble up and down the court with balls, one for each hand, start running fast as you get better. This should help your off hand.

Learning to shoot layups

LOL...

I didn't get it. You're implying that I said the guy needs to try the hard-tricks without practicing them first?

I didn't knew the guy needed to be told to start slowly and them try the difficult ones... That's obvious.
    Last edited by sobeking; 06-23-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmagicjohnson
    ok so what are fundamentals drills I should work on, having fundamental handles would match the rest of my game actually, because I play mostly with fundamentals, not flashy, just simple and solid.
    For starters your strong at your right hand. On skirmish games with other people, experiment with your left hand and build your way up. Try experimenting PG spot to attain the ball most of the time. This doesn't mean construct hard core passes after all its skirmish, but instead get a feel for left hand and driving on an open lane. Get the feel for moving through traffic. To sum it up, place skirmish games with other people, drills? well go to the gym and just breeze full court zig-zag, straight dribbling for right hand and alternate to left. You can put obstacles to get around them without loosing your dribble. If you really want to work on handles approach youtube they got some pretty good tutorials.

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

do some freakin drills at the top of the key.

do the "figure-8" between both legs....

do the in & outs....both with right hand and left....

do strong crossovers...with only one dribble into a lay-up....
    (you should be able to go between the legs too, either way)

stand on the spot....dribbling ball behind the back...back and forth from right-left. (this is crucial when squaring up/slowing the play down on a fast break...
    and it can be used as a crossover too in the paint, for a quick pull-up)

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Aside from the usual drills, play lots of 1-on-1. It helps sharpen your handles in a more competitive environment.

try to jerk off with left hand.

dribbling more is the best way to improve..

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nbastatus
    try to jerk off with left hand.

That won't help. Just ask... damn. This joke would've been much easier to execute if I had friends I can also diss here.