Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Expecting another big move for career purposes (NY or IN)

I haven't posted much recently due to being so busy with work and applications for jobs, but I'm excited to be in the job hunt. As many of you know, I went from Oregon, to SoCal, to northern Arizona so far as I prepare to have a consistent psychologist position. I have 2 current interviews lined up that would take me to parts of the country that I have not even visited previously: Indianapolis, IN, or Ithaca, NY. I'm curious if anybody here has much experience with those places and what their thoughts are.

Neither are guaranteed and I may ultimately land a different position, but this is an exciting time for me.

Default Re: Expecting another big move for career purposes (NY or IN)

I live in Indianapolis and imo this city is underrated. It's a great city if you love sports, drinking and nightlife, good food, walking/biking, etc etc. People here are generally friendly, probably more than New York. That being said, it's not New York.

Ithaca would be more like the liberal parts of Oregon

Also the finger lakes region on Ny is gorgeous in the summer and fall

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I haven't posted much recently due to being so busy with work and applications for jobs, but I'm excited to be in the job hunt. As many of you know, I went from Oregon, to SoCal, to northern Arizona so far as I prepare to have a consistent psychologist position. I have 2 current interviews lined up that would take me to parts of the country that I have not even visited previously: Indianapolis, IN, or Ithaca, NY. I'm curious if anybody here has much experience with those places and what their thoughts are.

Neither are guaranteed and I may ultimately land a different position, but this is an exciting time for me.

What is the circumstance for which you will be hired as a psychologist? Usually when I think of that career I think of someone with an independent practice making money doing hourly therapy sessions. But I guess maybe theyre sometimes hired by prisons, schools, etc?

For what circumstance will you potentially be hired to practice psychology?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    What is the circumstance for which you will be hired as a psychologist? Usually when I think of that career I think of someone with an independent practice making money doing hourly therapy sessions. But I guess maybe theyre sometimes hired by prisons, schools, etc?

Psychology and psychiatry are two different things.

Anyway, all the big Midwest cities are nice, but I'm least familiar with Indianapolis.

I work for colleges and do therapy with the students.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

Yes. One can write prescriptions, the other cannot.

That has nothing to do with my question..........

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

Anyway, all the big Midwest cities are nice, but I'm least familiar with Indianapolis.
    They are different, but both are frequently used in all sorts of environments.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Ithaca would be more like the liberal parts of Oregon
    Do you mean Eugene? Because there aren't many liberal parts in Oregon. It is mostly just the Portland metro area and Eugene, but my understanding is Ithaca would not be like Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    I live in Indianapolis and imo this city is underrated. It's a great city if you love sports, drinking and nightlife, good food, walking/biking, etc etc. People here are generally friendly, probably more than New York. That being said, it's not New York.
    My guess is I would prefer Indianapolis. Better weather and actually living in the city, versus living in essentially a large college town in NY with big cities being a decent drive. How are they with interracial couples?

NBA Legend

I work for colleges and do therapy with the students.

Ah.

And I take it therapy is "free" for students? As in, built into the cost of tuition paid by all students, and available without charge to the ones who need someone listen to them have a good cry?

No offense.

Do you mean Eugene? Because there aren't many liberal parts in Oregon. It is mostly just the Portland metro area and Eugene, but my understanding is Ithaca would not be like Portland.
    That was why I kinda specified which parts. Unfortunately, Indianapolis is not like Portland either.

Eugene sounds like a nice parallel to Ithaca. I once vacationed up near there. Like a Lake or two over. One of those places where there's a bunch of cabins on the Lake and at night you have nothing to do but sit around the campfire and meet the folks in the other cabins. One family was from Rochester and were kind of Fox News Types. Another couple was from Ithaca. The lady from Rochester screeched she wouldn't wouldn't be caught dead in Ithaca.....she said it like someone who have described Gomorrah a couple thousand years ago. Apparently her local news described it as infested with cults. She was shocked I didn't know this. I was like I live in NYC we have actual things happening and real news going on. They were also super, super impressed that I saw Al Roker on the street about every other week. They were also completely sure that Hillary Clinton was going to beat Rudy Giuliani for Senate which surprised me.

Better weather
    I just looked and they actually have pretty much the same climate almost.

Like I said it's really pretty around that part of NY State 3 seasons out of the year. If I knew it was going to be a short stay, I could probably live in Ithaca.

Ah.

And I take it therapy is "free" for students? As in, built into the cost of tuition paid by all students, and available without charge to the ones who need someone listen to them have a good cry?

No offense.
    Depends on the college. I have worked at some where it is free, and some where it is just cheap.