Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Troll who tries to provoke you

Default Clyde Drexler: Is he deliberately "underrated" & "underappreciated" all-time great ?

Fact # 1: Clyde is voted Top 50 GOATs in 1997. Over Dominique (an all-time great). Critics have questioned Pippen being in Top 50 list over 'Nique but never Clyde. A legit solid Top 50 Picks over Pippen & 'Nique.

Fact # 2: Clyde a taller, stronger, bigger 6'7" version of michael Jordan. His stamina, strength was superior to Kobe & Wade. He always attacked the rim like Wade but never ended up on the ground in awkward position like Wade does frequently on the floor. Always landed on his feet in physical Defensive era of '80s & '90s. You'll see Kobe fatigued, Wade gassed out but Clyde was like a machine incredible endurance. I've never seen him gassed

Fact # 3: Clyde's prime peak is similar to Wade stat wise. But Clyde rarely missed seasons or tons of reg sea games due to injury or fitness issues like Wade frequently did in his peak prime years. 6 seasons of 80+ games. almost every year going deep into playoffs in his peak.

Fact # 4: Clyde was a lone warrior is still is the face of the Portland franchise. A successful perimeter player who made it to NBA finals 2x without any legit HOF'er or even a consistant all-star starter in Blazer line up.

Fact # 5: A true gentleman of the game, Clyde never asked for another all-star starter or HOF'er in his line up. Case can be made for clyde to be replaced with Kobe because of 5 rings & FMVPs in Top 50 list. But Wade? Is wade really even as great as Clyde was.

Why is Wade considered better than Clyde?

Just cuz of 1 FMVP & 1 ring in pi$$ poor era.

Can Wade ever take MIA to NBA Finals without first ballot HOF'er or even a legit all-star first teamer like Clyde did it twice?

Wade would've never been considered 2nd best SG in Jordan era if he played then just because of missed injury seasons & tons of games!

Clyde was considered the 2nd best SG next to MJ in Jordan Era

Hell, He was considered as good as MJ in 1992 coming up as runner-up MVP!

When was wade a real solid runner-up MVP?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Clyde Drexler: Is he deliberately "underrated" & "underappreciated" all-time great ?

Underrated and amazing yes. Probably most underrated superstar in NBA history and all because of the Michael Jordan hype. People don't understand how close the two players were talent wise at different points.

Banned

Default Re: Clyde Drexler: Is he deliberately "underrated" & "underappreciated" all-time great ?

Kobe and Wade shit on his Drex. Next.

NBA rookie of the year

I don't think he's underrated at all. He's often mentioned along with the other greats. Is he top tier? No, but he is recognized

Quote Originally Posted by DTreats
    Kobe is modern day Clyde on NBA's winningest franchise.

Clyde was great at penetrating & driving to basket. No post up game.

Kobe has decent post up game but cannot drive & penetrate to the basket.

Kobe = clyde of the '00 era.

Clyde >> Wade easily. Its not even an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    I don't think he's underrated at all. He's often mentioned along with the other greats. Is he top tier? No, but he is recognized
    To me.

Clyde is in the tier of Ewing.

Both faces of the franchise without winning the ring.

Both made to NBA Finals twice without real great of HOF'er in their line up.

Imagine both had Kobe like help with tons of all-stars & a first ballot HOF'er team mate

how many rings they could've won!

Quote Originally Posted by DTreats
    Quality of posts...

Drexler is amazing. Highly underrated. I rank Wade above (or side-by-side. I never really go in-depth with the rankings anyway) just because of what I see. Wade's peak was just ridiculous, backed up by his incredible finals performance. One of the best we've ever seen.

Individually, Wade brings more to the table. Better in almost every category. He does almost everything better except rebounding and longetivity really. I'd reach for on-ball defense aswell, Drexler could handle his own on occasion, definitely more consistent than Wade. No injuries to Wade and we wouldn't have this discussion really.

I see why the argument though. Drexler is often overlooked. Hell, I've seen rankings where people don't even mention him. I remeber once seeing a ranking where a guy took off Drexler entirely purely because of the reason that, and I paraphrase when I type "He just didn't suck MJs dick well enough."

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    Fact # 5: A true gentleman of the game, Clyde never asked for another all-star starter or HOF'er in his line up. Case can be made for clyde to be replaced with Kobe because of 5 rings & FMVPs in Top 50 list. But Wade? Is wade really even as great as Clyde was.
    ?[/SIZE]
    You still find a way to slip in Kobe...

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    Quality of posts...

Drexler is amazing. Highly underrated. I rank Wade above (or side-by-side. I never really go in-depth with the rankings anyway) just because of what I see. Wade's peak was just ridiculous, backed up by his incredible finals performance. One of the best we've ever seen.

Individually, Wade brings more to the table. Better in almost every category. He does almost everything better except rebounding and longetivity really. I'd reach for on-ball defense aswell, Drexler could handle his own on occasion, definitely more consistent than Wade. No injuries to Wade and we wouldn't have this discussion really.

I see why the argument though. Drexler is often overlooked. Hell, I've seen rankings where people don't even mention him. I remeber once seeing a ranking where a guy took off Drexler entirely purely because of the reason that, and I paraphrase when I type "He just didn't suck MJs dick well enough."

You still find a way to slip in Kobe...

Don't you see? This entire thread is just another in his long line of anti kobe threads. This one being a little more subtle than others..

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Don't you see? This entire thread is just another in his long line of anti kobe threads. This one being a little more subtle than others..
    Yeah I report him everytime. Each and every post I'm more convinced this guy is a mod trolling us. You can't allow such a terrible poster like this to go on for so long.

I would have loved to see the numbers Drexler would be putting up today.

Drexler vs Kobe vs Wade vs Iverson vs Gervin

I always feel as players... seeing them in the perimeter friendly era today, they would all be killing it in their primes.

As careers, Drexler does fall short in the achievements department and his numbers were down since his 1992 season... which is why I can see the case for the other 4 player I mentioned over them in that aspect, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Underrated and amazing yes. Probably most underrated superstar in NBA history and all because of the Michael Jordan hype. People don't understand how close the two players were talent wise at different points.
    They weren't that close. Jordan was significantly better defensively and scoring wise. Jordan was a far greater closer, Drexler many times deferring to the likes of Terry Porter at the end of games. They're comparable passers, both exceptional at their position, but Jordan proved more as a passer when he moved to the point guard position and dominated, turning the Bulls' season around in 1989, also putting on a passing clinic in the 1991 NBA finals. Drexler also relied far too much on jump shooting at times and would take many questionable shots, Jordan's decision making was far better. To the obvious, Jordan had far greater longevity, Drexler was never the same dominant player after 1992, one of his finest years and the season in which he turned 30. He also took longer to develop into a dominant player. Drexler, while obviously great and perhaps underrated was never very close to Michael Jordan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I would have loved to see the numbers Drexler would be putting up today.

Drexler vs Kobe vs Wade vs Iverson vs Gervin

I always feel as players... seeing them in the perimeter friendly era today, they would all be killing it in their primes.

As careers, Drexler does fall short in the achievements department and his numbers were down since his 1992 season... which is why I can see the case for the other 4 player I mentioned over them in that aspect, obviously.
    Can't see AI even being in a conversation with those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    He gets a sympathy vote for whatever reason.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Kobe is better player than Clyde......Wade, who is one of my favorite players, may have a slight edge....just hard to compare, due to the era and type of rules they play in/under...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Career and player wise ? We have to disagree.

Plus, I mentioned what each player would do in their primes during this era.

Iverson at age 30 was putting up his career high in ppg and overall statline of:

33/7/3/2 on 45/32/81

I can definitely see him in the conversation.. his numbers would be vastly different during this era. I can see him dropping 35+ a game on respective efficiency also.