Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default how similar are chris paul and jason kidd?

in terms of game...

paul is a better scorer with the ball. better shooter til late in kidd's career.
    kidd plays more in the flow of the game, gets the ball in the right place without dominating the offense
    kidd has the edge in fast break play since he liked to push so much
    both incredible passers out of all kinds of sets

kidd went to two finals in a weak east. paul went to the conference semis in a loaded west.

who would you take for a single game in place of kyrie irving on the cavs? in place of russell westbrook on the thunder? in place of steph curry on the warriors? john wall, kyle lowry, damien lillard, etc etc

maybe what i'm most interested in is in terms of legacy? kidd isn't designated a loser because of 2011 i guess, or in some minds because of those nets teams. paul is constantly called everything under the sun.

what about in terms of personality? paul is certainly more vocal. kidd is a coach now and proving himself in that role. bottom line is both guys came into the league a little wiry, became a little pudgy, left for different pastures midway through, developed reputations as incredibly competitive, etc etc you get the point

Default Re: how similar are chris paul and jason kidd?

No excuses for cp3. Even Melo made the damn conf. finals in the WEST!

Jason Kidd has 107 Triple Doubles, Lebron has 36. Now let that sink in.

Banned

One is 6'4 and the other is 6'0.

rank sentamentalist

you think their legacies will be much different? these guys will be on the exact same tier at the end of their careers, unless the clippers find a way in the next few seasons... which i'm not convinced they won't with the current nucleus.

size is definitely important but kidd was never the back to the basket player people claim. he could do it no question but he was uncomfortable down there and preferred to use it as a passing weapon than a scoring weapon.

paul has the better handle for sure but i think a key difference like i said is how many chances/risks kidd took compared to paul who is safe with the ball to a fault imo... though he still has plenty of flashy how did he do that passes

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    Jason Kidd has 107 Triple Doubles, Lebron has 36. Now let that sink in.
    paul is just small. he's as feisty as they come. i'm not particularly impressed by point guard triple doubles, especially the ones that come at a quick pace when the offense isn't crashing the glass. when a point guard like kidd or westbrook is accustomed to pushing the ball at every opportunity, his teammates will just let him get the ball off the glass so they can hurry on ahead. this leads to inflated numbers.

when a big man puts up 10+ assists, especially from the high post, that is far more impressive than a guard getting a bunch of rebounds. i still respect a small man who busts his ass to get rebounds but i give more credit to the big for finding his teammates.

lebron is a bum though for sure

They dont play alike. Kidd made his teammates better and he didnt ballhog at all.

Kidd's Nets teams never had to face the competition that Nash or Paul's teams constantly faced.

He fared no better when he was out west. He either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st or 2nd round in his first 7 seasons in the west.

The very next season he gets traded to the east and suddenly becomes a "winner" just because he got to face all sub 50 win teams instead of the Lakers and Kings.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Kidd's Nets teams never had to face the competition that Nash or Paul's teams constantly faced.

He fared no better when he was out west. He either missed the playoffs or lost in the 1st or 2nd round in his first 7 seasons in the west.

The very next season he gets traded to the east and suddenly becomes a "winner" just because he got to face all sub 50 win teams instead of the Lakers and Kings.

people really don't think chris paul could have lead those byron scott teams past paul pierce and antoine walker and baron davis? LOL

Paul is clearly the better choker

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    They dont play alike. Kidd made his teammates better and he didnt ballhog at all.

yea I see what you saying

Banned

I hope people don't really think Chris Paul is a better player than Jason Kidd, or even more accomplished.

Please Lord, tell me ISH isn't that stupid.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    paul is just small. he's as feisty as they come. i'm not particularly impressed by point guard triple doubles, especially the ones that come at a quick pace when the offense isn't crashing the glass. when a point guard like kidd or westbrook is accustomed to pushing the ball at every opportunity, his teammates will just let him get the ball off the glass so they can hurry on ahead. this leads to inflated numbers.

when a big man puts up 10+ assists, especially from the high post, that is far more impressive than a guard getting a bunch of rebounds. i still respect a small man who busts his ass to get rebounds but i give more credit to the big for finding his teammates.

lebron is a bum though for sure
    The size thing isn't just about posting up.. it also gives kidd more defensive versatility, explains why he was such a dominant rebounder, and just in general made him more of a wrecking ball on the court.As far as what they bring they're nothing alike.. rondo was like kidd but less vision and a little smaller.

On the cavs I'd still take kidd.. he does a lot more with the ball not in his hands than Paul does.

rank sentamentalist

paul would be directing lebron and love and jr smith with his eyes. he would completely remove their need to think where to go, because he would find them in their spots in the half court. so many weapons, paul himself least of all. his pick and roll with mozgov would be sick.

and of course at any point lebron can wander over and take the ball over.

kidd wants to run and that ain't the best idea for everyone. he struggled when teams ground the nets to a halt and forced them to execute their sets. he still balled but his bad shooting early in his career made it difficult. as did a deficiency of talent on his team i'd say. todd macculloch can only take you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    No excuses for cp3. Even Melo made the damn conf. finals in the WEST!
    Very surprising, huh?