Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups Go4thaGold's Avatar

Default ESPN (Hollinger) :Pau Gasol To Raptors/Spurs?

[QUOTE]Spanish-language Blog de Basket has quite the compelling story running today, particularly for Los Angeles Lakers and Toronto Raptors fans; the problem is that BallinEurope.com cannot seem to confirm the story

Default Re: ESPN (Hollinger) :Pau Gasol To Raptors/Spurs?

I think both trades would be rejected and are just some jack off speculating.

Banned

:Facepalm

Seriously? Calderon + Bargs for Pau wouldn't even work..

Biased Troll

The Spurs one is very interesting. I could definitely see them wanting Gasol.

LA was willing to trade Odom and Pau for Chris Paul. Doesn't seem like a huge stretch that they would do Gasol for Tony Parker.

However it doesn't seem like a great fit. Parker is a ball handler, and we all know who handles the balls in LA. Neither guy is a good spot up shooter from outside. M.W. Peace can't shoot from outside either and they're stuck with him for a while. I know Steve Blake is no prized-peach, but he's still a better option to stand at the perimeter and shoot open shots once in a while than Parker.

I'm actually incredibly surprised to look at the stats and see Parker is shooting 40% this year (with no made 3 pointers). I've watched the Spurs a couple times this year and both games he was on fire. He's dishing 7 assists in only 29.6 minutes though with low turnovers and a low foul rate. If I was the Spurs I would still move him for Gasol. Gasol, Blair, and Splitter along with whatever is left of Duncan definitely gives them a good frontcourt to go into the playoffs with, then with Manu coming back and their rookie Leonard improving by then, could be a noisy team.

Derek Fisher is unlikely to be traded, I think. It's not like Toronto would need him back.

Could it work? Gasol is playing below his par and playing very well. But he's not all the way there and Bynum is starting to beast. Having Bargnani as the 4 (which is what he's doing this year, which is why he's not so ass) next to Bynum...he's essentially a 7ft stretch 4. He brings 3 point shooting, his rebounding will be a little better, his defense will be a bit better (it actually already has been so far this season), and he clears the lane for Andrew Bynum.

I think that Gasol and Bynum have sometimes clogged the lane up too much. Especially when Odom came in at the 3. This would be a drastic change, but I believe it could work. The money would be good for the Lakers and Bargnani is younger and an ideal 3rd option for a team that has Kobe as the first. Plus, Calderon is so much better than people realize and he NEVER turns the ball over. He won't be overly ball-dominant, but he will be the right kind of playmaking PG to play alongside Kobe. As it is, with no triangle or better PG, Kobe is both playing well and being obnoxious to play alongside.

I don't know how Pau would feel about it, but it would certainly work for the Lakers. 3 team trade makes a little more sense tho, I think.

Biased Troll

If I was Pau I'd push for the trade to the Spurs.

LA could get ugly as Kobe vs Bynum could become the new version of Kobe vs Shaq (without the titles). Between the two of them hogging the ball purposely just to spite the other, Pau could find himself suddenly absent the team-oriented approach he finds himself most comfortable in.

If he goes to Toronto, it's still a losing situation. If he goes to the Spurs he can play for Pop, thrive in their fundamentals-oriented approach, and talk Spanish with Manu, and possibly Splitter (I know he's Brazilian but likely speaks some Spanish). I think it could reinvigorate him the way the initial trade to LA did.

I actually hope this happens. Would love to see it .

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    The Spurs one is very interesting. I could definitely see them wanting Gasol.

LA was willing to trade Odom and Pau for Chris Paul. Doesn't seem like a huge stretch that they would do Gasol for Tony Parker.

However it doesn't seem like a great fit. Parker is a ball handler, and we all know who handles the balls in LA. Neither guy is a good spot up shooter from outside. M.W. Peace can't shoot from outside either and they're stuck with him for a while. I know Steve Blake is no prized-peach, but he's still a better option to stand at the perimeter and shoot open shots once in a while than Parker.

I'm actually incredibly surprised to look at the stats and see Parker is shooting 40% this year (with no made 3 pointers). I've watched the Spurs a couple times this year and both games he was on fire. He's dishing 7 assists in only 29.6 minutes though with low turnovers and a low foul rate. If I was the Spurs I would still move him for Gasol. Gasol, Blair, and Splitter along with whatever is left of Duncan definitely gives them a good frontcourt to go into the playoffs with, then with Manu coming back and their rookie Leonard improving by then, could be a noisy team.
    The Lakers are not trading Gasol for Tony Parker. Did you actually just use Paul in reference to a Tony Parker trade? ARe you joking?

There is no ****ing way the Lakers send Gasol to a conference rival for Tony Parker. That's ridiculous. You say it so casually like it makes total sense.

Crack is wack. Leave it alone.

Local High School Star

Hellll no, **** both of those trades.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    The Lakers are not trading Gasol for Tony Parker. Did you actually just use Paul in reference to a Tony Parker trade? ARe you joking?

There is no ****ing way the Lakers send Gasol to a conference rival for Tony Parker. That's ridiculous. You say it so casually like it makes total sense.

Crack is wack. Leave it alone.

It appears they WANT to trade him. When you WANT to trade someone, it means you may have to settle for less than market value. Considering they were willing two give up TWO/thirds of their previous frontcourt (Gasol + Odom) for Paul, if they are still LOOKING to trade Gasol, they may be willing to exchange him for Tony Parker.

Gasol has been lethargic with the Lakers, Derek Fisher is by far the worst starting guard in the league, and Tony Parker is playing really well. It's hardly a ginormous stretch that it could happen. Especially considering the Lakers are still trying to save money to avoid the crushing luxury tax line in effect next season.

And you're pretty harsh on crack for someone whose mother clearly smoked it during pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    It appears they WANT to trade him. When you WANT to trade someone, it means you may have to settle for less than market value. Considering they were willing two give up TWO/thirds of their previous frontcourt (Gasol + Odom), if they are still LOOKING to trade Gasol, they may be willing to exchange him for Tony Parker.

Gasol has been lethargic with the Lakers, Derek Fisher is by far the worst starting guard in the league, and Tony Parker is playing really well. It's hardly a ginormous stretch that it could happen. Especially considering the Lakers are still trying to save money to avoid the crushing luxury tax line in effect next season.

And your pretty harsh on crack for someone whose mother clearly smoked it during pregnancy.
    They wanted to trade him for Chris Paul. You hate the Lakers so you want them to trade him for crap. The Lakers don't hate their own team so they will not do so.

There is absolutely no chance of this occuring. NONE AT ALL. Feel free to keep sitting there harping on it because you think the Lakers would **** their team up to do this (at the same time helping SA).

you're thoughts on the NBA and players, etc. are so ridiculous it's amazing. Do you really follow basketball?

tp for gasol has been mulled over and over by spurfan in a pipe dream sense, but tony hasn't been himself this year. he's dishing well this season and not turning it over too much, but his scoring has been way off. i think he might be a little sluggish from summer euroleague play.

not sure how the dollars work out, but i'd think the lakers might want an additional piece or two with tony since he's not his usual 18/6 50% shooting self. like blair, neal, splitter, rj?? one of our younger pieces that can play.

i'm also not sure the spurs would be ready to let tj ford take over the starting pg duties even though he's been pretty solid this year for the most part, although having duncan and gasol down low would mean our PG position becomes much less important as those guys can pass and hold it down themselves without much help.

i'd think duncan would look 5 years younger next to gasol too on both ends.

all that said, i seriously doubt the spurs and lakers deal with each other though

Banned

no way the Raptors trade Andrea when he is playing like Dirk.

I say no to this trade.

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    :Facepalm

Seriously? Calderon + Bargs for Pau wouldn't even work..
    Do you mean financially, if so yes it does.

Made a trade idea w/ Pau for Bargs| Calderon on another board using Espn Trade Machine (when it was up and running) and the salaries fit.

Not sure if adding Fisher would though.

I think LA would be sweet after such a trade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WillyJakk
    Do you mean financially, if so yes it does.

Made a trade idea w/ Pau for Bargs| Calderon on another board using Espn Trade Machine (when it was up and running) and the salaries fit.

Not sure if adding Fisher would though.

I think LA would be sweet after such a trade.
    Did not mean financially.

As a Raptors and a Lakers fan...