Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: Overrated All-Time Great Players

another guy i think that is kinda overrated is kobe bryant. and its mainly from reading all the posts about pippen. their careers are so similar. i honestly think that the year he won the mvp it was based on one game. was blessed with having a beast at center competing dominating other garbage centers. and cant win unless he has a stacked team.

basically if you give scottie pippen a stacked teram and 6 prime years, he accomplishes more than what kobe has. except for the 81 and 62 point games.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado
    Michael Jordan- over-hyped by the media
    Michael Jordan is one of the greatest athletes of all time....a 6 time champion, 6 time finals Mvp, 5 time league Mvp, 10 time scoring champion is not overrated......sorry.......Erase the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    another guy i think that is kinda overrated is kobe bryant. and its mainly from reading all the posts about pippen. their careers are so similar. i honestly think that the year he won the mvp it was based on one game. was blessed with having a beast at center competing dominating other garbage centers. and cant win unless he has a stacked team.

basically if you give scottie pippen a stacked teram and 6 prime years, he accomplishes more than what kobe has. except for the 81 and 62 point games.
    What kind of dumb argument is that? "Cant win unless he has a stacked team"?

Who besides Hakeem Olajuwon and Rick Barry have won a championship without a stacked team?...

Honestly there will never be a verdict on whether a player like Kobe Bryant is overrated or underrated.....There are so many people that hate him, that they underrate and underappreciate what he has done in his career and how talented this guy is....And then he has some homers, such as the creep Elie Sechbach who overrate him and prop him up to unmeasurable heights.

I honestly think Kobe is more underrapreciated than overrated. For every moronic Kobe homer who props him up, there are about 20 idiots who pretend as if Kobe is not one of the most talented players to ever play.

Be aware that I am not referring to you, I just disagreed with the first part of your comment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan&Magic
    Michael Jordan is one of the greatest athletes of all time....a 6 time champion, 6 time finals Mvp, 5 time league Mvp, 10 time scoring champion is not overrated......sorry.......Erase the hate.

6 time champion? far from the record......5 league MVPs? also not the record

10 scoring titles? Jordan was a ball hog he led the league in FGA's a record nine times!

Jordan was overrated by the media to make money for corporate America!

Local High School Star Alhazred's Avatar

6 time champion? far from the record......5 league MVPs? also not the record

10 scoring titles? Jordan was a ball hog he led the league in FGA's a record nine times!

Jordan was overrated by the media to make money for corporate America!
    at this post. Make another comparison to Michael and Dominique, while you're at it. He was just another "bald-headed Dominique", right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred
    at this post. Make another comparison to Michael and Dominique, while you're at it. He was just another "bald-headed Dominique", right?

Dominique was a great player. What's wrong with that comparison?

They were both very similar players.

Only thing is Dominique never had another HOF player to play with in his prime.

MJ never made it past the first round with another HOF player!

Compare MJ and Dominique in their prime!....Before Pippen.

They were both highlight reels, except Wilkins actually lead his team to a winning record!..and a playoff series win!.....Despite playing with NO Hofamers..and a guy named Jon Koncak!

85' D.Wilkins 27.4pts 3assist 7reb 2stl 1blk team record 34 - 48....missed playoffs

85' MJ ...........28 pts 6assist 7reb 2stl 1blk team record 38-44 lost to Milwakee 3 - 1

86 D.Wilkins 30pts 3assist 8reb 2stl 1blk team record 50 - 32!
    Winning season and made it to the second round of the playoffs.

86 MJ............22pts 3assist 4reb 2stl 1blk team record 30 - 52!
    got swept by Boston..MJ scores 63pts IN A LOSS!!!!..ESPN pours it down are throat!

87' D.Wilkins 30pts 3assist 6reb 2stl 1blk team record 57 - 25!
    make it to the second round and lose to the Piston's!....Still no HOFamer!

87' MJ ... ...37pts 4assist 5reb 1stl 1blk team record 40-42..3rd consecutive LOSING season! swept again by Boston!

Even in thier 40's.........

D.Wilkins 18ppg 2assist 5 reb 1stl 1blk
    MJ.............20ppg 3assist 6reb 1stl 0.5blk

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan&Magic
    What kind of dumb argument is that? "Cant win unless he has a stacked team"?

Who besides Hakeem Olajuwon and Rick Barry have won a championship without a stacked team?...

Honestly there will never be a verdict on whether a player like Kobe Bryant is overrated or underrated.....There are so many people that hate him, that they underrate and underappreciate what he has done in his career and how talented this guy is....And then he has some homers, such as the creep Elie Sechbach who overrate him and prop him up to unmeasurable heights.

I honestly think Kobe is more underrapreciated than overrated. For every moronic Kobe homer who props him up, there are about 20 idiots who pretend as if Kobe is not one of the most talented players to ever play.

Be aware that I am not referring to you, I just disagreed with the first part of your comment.
    i dont think the first 3peat bulls were stacked with talent. nor were some of tim duncans spurs. the mvp kobe has was more or less based on that game against the hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    i dont think the first 3peat bulls were stacked with talent. nor were some of tim duncans spurs. the mvp kobe has was more or less based on that game against the hornets.
    Probably because the MVP race was so close, that "one game" was the tiebreaker.

Spare me the bullsh*t "lifetime achievement award" excuse:

28.3ppg 46%fg 36%3pt 84%ft 6.3ast 5.4reb 2stls. He was the MVP and in that game he showed up Paul.

Dominique was a great player. What's wrong with that comparison?

They were both very similar players.
    "Similar"? Both were great dunkers and could score, but Wilkins was not in Michael's class as a playmaker, outside shooter or defender. That's like comparing Larry Bird to Mark Aguirre.

Only thing is Dominique never had another HOF player to play with in his prime.

MJ never made it past the first round with another HOF player!

Compare MJ and Dominique in their prime!....Before Pippen.
    Michael was voted 6th in MVP voting in 1985 and Dominique was voted 17th. That was Michael's first year. Dominique was awesome, no doubt, but Michael was on another level as a player. If the Bulls had offered to trade Michael to Atlanta for Dominique straight up, would they have turned it down? Hell no!

They were both highlight reels, except Wilkins actually lead his team to a winning record!..and a playoff series win!.....Despite playing with NO Hofamers..and a guy named Jon Koncak!
    Dominique had a better team and coach. What did Michael have to work with? Some one-dimensional cokeheads and some mediocre coaches. There was Oakley too, but other than that the team stunk. Switch Michael and Dominique on those teams and you think Atlanta wouldn't have stayed at their level, if not improve further?

85' D.Wilkins 27.4pts 3assist 7reb 2stl 1blk team record 34 - 48....missed playoffs

85' MJ ...........28 pts 6assist 7reb 2stl 1blk team record 38-44 lost to Milwakee 3 - 1

86 D.Wilkins 30pts 3assist 8reb 2stl 1blk team record 50 - 32!
    Winning season and made it to the second round of the playoffs.

86 MJ............22pts 3assist 4reb 2stl 1blk team record 30 - 52!
    got swept by Boston..MJ scores 63pts IN A LOSS!!!!..ESPN pours it down are throat!

87' D.Wilkins 30pts 3assist 6reb 2stl 1blk team record 57 - 25!
    make it to the second round and lose to the Piston's!....Still no HOFamer!

87' MJ ... ...37pts 4assist 5reb 1stl 1blk team record 40-42..3rd consecutive LOSING season! swept again by Boston!
    Atlanta was a solid team in the 80s, nothing like the coke addicted bums Michael was dealing with in Chicago pre-1988. Also, Michael missed most of the 86 season, why would you even mention that?

Even in thier 40's.........

D.Wilkins 18ppg 2assist 5 reb 1stl 1blk
    MJ.............20ppg 3assist 6reb 1stl 0.5blk
    Wilkins at 39 was averaging 5 points a game, what are you talking about?
    Last edited by Alhazred; 02-20-2010 at 10:03 PM.

As far as Kobe being "overrated", I find that amusing. Arguably the most skilled guard/player ever that's mastered the fundamentals of the game being called "overrated" is a joke. Dwyane Wade after his amazing 2009 season still conceded KB as the #1 player in the League, wonder why he wasn't talking about his FG%? So he misses 2-3 more attempts than a Lebron or Wade (he also takes more shots), big deal? Stat junkies love adjusting and cramming stats, here's one: His effective field goal % is amongst the best at his position and perimeter play -- pretty much a lock to score when he's at the FT line (something Wade/Lebron are NOT).

Da Mavs

I would put Pippen no higher than 35. Incredible player, defensive great, etc but these sort of lists are based a lot on what have you done as the leader and it's pretty easy to name 30 players that are not only BETTER but have accomplished more (Put each of those other 30 next to MJ and same results)

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    I would put Pippen no higher than 35. Incredible player, defensive great, etc but these sort of lists are based a lot on what have you done as the leader and it's pretty easy to name 30 players that are not only BETTER but have accomplished more (Put each of those other 30 next to MJ and same results)
    Not trying to be argumentative, but which 30 would that be?

Michael Jordan is pretty overrated in a sense that people overrate the Bulls team accomplishment. They had a great team that would win titles with any superstar. Plus most people doesn't know that MJ had a douchebag personality. He'd be a cancer if he wasn't a great player and have Phil & Pippen in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhazred
    Not trying to be argumentative, but which 30 would that be?
    I'd take Bernard King, Dantley, Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkins and Isiah Thomas over Pippen (yes there are a few players that aren't on the all 50 team).

Quote Originally Posted by insidious301
    I'd take Bernard King, Dantley, Reggie Miller, Dominique Wilkins and Isiah Thomas over Pippen (yes there are a few players that aren't on the all 50 team).
    Zeke and Wilkins are cool and I can understand King, but Dantley and Miller really never seemed better than Scottie overall, imo.