Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default How would the '96 Bulls be in today's game with the growth of the 3 point shot?

For those who don't know, that particular Bulls team won its 72 games when the league as a whole didn't value the 3 pointer as much and not only that, but during the 1995-96 season the NBA had a shortened 3 point line, Jordan and Pippen took advantage of that and had career years from 3 point land. The league would put the 3 point line back to its original spot during the 1997-98 season.

How could Chicago adjust to today's game considering they didn't have many knock down shooters?

Ron Harper - Career: 29 3pt%
    Michael Jordan - Career: 33 3pt%
    Scottie Pippen - Career: 32 3pt%
    Toni Kukoc - Career: 33 3pt%
    Steve Kerr - Career: 45 3pt%

As you can see, Kerr who came off the bench was the only legit 3 point shooter on the team. Today the average 3 pt% is 35%, everybody on the Bulls excluding Kerr shot below that. I'm guessing that Chicago team would be a below average 3 point shooting team in today's NBA. How would that effect them? Considering that in today's NBA it seems like championship contending teams have good 3 point shooting or at least above average.
    Last edited by 1987_Lakers; 11-28-2015 at 01:35 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: How would the '96 Bulls be in today's game with the growth of the 3 point shot?

Cavs almost beat the Warriors without their second and third best players, and Dellavadova as pg. I think the Bulls would do fine.

Talking Re: How would the '96 Bulls be in today's game with the growth of the 3 point shot?

Toronto Raptors

Default Re: How would the '96 Bulls be in today's game with the growth of the 3 point shot?

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    Toronto Raptors
    MJ was shook by trash talking in that game so it shouldn't count

What's their 3% FG that season? Not career 3% because it includes their past prime/old years.

Quote Originally Posted by deja vu
    What's their 3% FG that season? Not career 3% because it includes their past prime/old years.
    Pippen and Jordan's were actually pretty good, but like I said in the OP the NBA during that time had a shortened 3 point line. With the regular 3 point line none of Chicago's players besides Kerr were ever known as prolific 3 point shooters.

Tolerant Liberals

what was the 3pt average for the league in the mid 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    what was the 3pt average for the league in the mid 90s?
    33% in 1994 with the original 3 point line
    37% in 1996 with the short 3 point line

They would adapt. I figure that they would get in the gym over the summer and make 700-1,000 3 pointers a day or every other day. The Bulls would be fine.

I would assume their 3 point percentage would improve over their career percentage, due to the extra space to operate, and less hands on them. Didn't the NBA set a four point record during the playoffs a couple of years ago? Why, because new rules in the way the game was being called were introduce. Cause and effect an insane amount of 4 point plays. Why wasn't that record match the next year? Because now the defender had to back off even more.
    Last edited by jstern; 11-28-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Basketball Genius

people don't understand that shooting 3's back then and jacking it up just wasn't considered good basketball. it is now because of the rule changes that allow more spacing.

so since they'd have the green light, they'd shoot more and score more, and no one is stopping jordan anyways.

They'd need more than a training camp to adjust to the new rules. Without any adjustment period, theyre still a great team tho.

Ordan would be a poor man's derozan in today's game. The nba has evolved beyond his small dick skillset

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    Ordan would be a poor man's derozan in today's game. The nba has evolved beyond his small dick skillset
    I say this and no one believes me. Derozan would average 35+ in the weak 90s

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
    I say this and no one believes me. Derozan would average 35+ in the weak 90s
    How would you even know? Aren't you about 18, honey? The only thing you and the rest of the teenagers here know from the 90s is the baby food.