Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: 2014 MLS Thread

Default Re: 2014 MLS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer
    It's official: Jermain Defoe is going back to EPL, joining Sunderland. TFC will get Jozy Altidore as a part of the deal.

Great deal for both teams. They both get proven strikers that fit for their own leagues.

A little disappointing that the "Bloody Big Deal" campaign ends this quickly. Defoe did play very well when healthy also.
    Okay, it is not it yet. There is another big obstacle against TFC, the MLS itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TSN
    Although the swap has been completed, Altidore is not yet a Toronto FC player. Altidore played for the New York Red Bulls from 2006-08, meaning he would have to go through Major League Soccer's allocation process for re-entry into the league. Toronto FC sits sixth in the allocation rankings and the club doesn't believe any of the teams ahead of them have interest in the player (Montreal, San Jose, Colorado, Chicago, Houston). However, there is sentiment among many the league would prefer to see Altidore land with an American based team, namely back with the Red Bulls. Toronto FC wants to keep the player. But depending on how the process plays out, they may be forced into a settlement with said team ahead of them in the allocation rankings if they decide they want Altidore. Again, Toronto FC doesn't want the cash transaction; they want the player.

This adds an intriguing wrinkle; if MLS head office wants Altidore in New York, they can make it happen. As sensational as it sounds, MLS could in fact play a role in Altidore landing elsewhere despite the swap deal agreed upon by Toronto FC and Sunderland. Which begs the question; how does MLS feel about having two of the top US Men's National team players both playing for Toronto? The Red Bulls are the team to watch in the coming days. If they jump up in the allocation process, they threaten the chances of Altidore joining Toronto FC while raising questions about league influence in transfer dealings. The drama and intrigue revolving around Altidore's landing spot will play out in the coming days. If all goes to plan, Altidore will be a Toronto FC player.
    edit: TFC is also about to sign Juventus' playmaker Sebastian Giovinco. That could mean they have to ship Altidore somewhere else to free a DP spot.
    Last edited by BurningHammer; 01-14-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Another Canadian picked first overall again, this time in MLS!

Cyle Larin, a striker from Brampton, ON and the University of Connecticut, was picked first overall by Orlando City.

TFC got the 6th, 9th and 11th, and they pick the best American goalkeeper prospect available Alex Bono and another Canadian Skylar Thomas, both from Syracuse, and a defender Clement Simonin from NC State.

Also, MLS officially announced the use of the new logo, and renaming MLS MVP Award to Landon Donovan MVP Award.

Marcelo Sarvas dealt to the Crapids for the third allocation slot and some allocation money, with rumors of Sacha Klestjan being the target, yet again.

Klestjan, Gerrard, Juninho, Husidić, Villareal & Ishazaki is going to be great feeding into Keane/Zardes

It looks like Gilberto would be the odd DP out to make room for TFC to sign Sebastian Giovinco.

Bradley and Giovinco in the middle should basically be the best midfield pair in the league.
    Last edited by BurningHammer; 01-17-2015 at 08:49 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Good for TFC but I don't understand why they don't take the resources to go after a well established manager instead of hiring inexperienced managers? They put alot of money in their players and without a proper manager they aren't being utilized to the max. I know they hired Robin Fraser as an assistant and that's a good move because I think he's a quality assistant manager that will help out in the defensive aspects of the game.

But this is gonna be a big year for TFC. If they don't make the postseason I'm afraid they may halt their ambitious plans of signing big players which is bad for us all. I'll be rooting for them as I think this year is gonna be a disaster for NYRB.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Good for TFC but I don't understand why they don't take the resources to go after a well established manager instead of hiring inexperienced managers? They put alot of money in their players and without a proper manager they aren't being utilized to the max. I know they hired Robin Fraser as an assistant and that's a good move because I think he's a quality assistant manager that will help out in the defensive aspects of the game.

But this is gonna be a big year for TFC. If they don't make the postseason I'm afraid they may halt their ambitious plans of signing big players which is bad for us all. I'll be rooting for them as I think this year is gonna be a disaster for NYRB.
    TFC wants to dump some money in and Tim Bezbatchenko is the one who dealed with this kind of thing in MLS front office on regular basis. So the GM hiring seems right so far. But the thing is that "Bloody Big Deal" campaign is a bloody failure, that potentially 2 of 3 big names they promoted are gone by year 1, could hit hard among supporters.

They have invested hard on defense on SuperDraft though. That seems like a good direction I believe.

TFC has officially signed Sebastian Giovinco for an MLS record deal 5 years, $7 millions. That also means Gilberto will be moved to make a DP spot for Giovinco.

This will make TFC salary cap in 2016 to be around $22-25 millions, even higher than some MLB clubs.

TFC has officially signed Sebastian Giovinco for an MLS record deal 5 years, $7 millions. That also means Gilberto will be moved to make a DP spot for Giovinco.

This will make TFC salary cap in 2016 to be around $22-25 millions, even higher than some MLB clubs.
    7 million a year whoahhh. Pretty damn good player.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    7 million a year whoahhh. Pretty damn good player.
    7 mils for Giovinco, 6 mils for Bradley, and reportedly 5 mils for Altidore.

I really wonder where is the money TFC will get for those guys. Some from Leafs maybe?

High School Starter

They don't have to move him to mid july. plus maybe new CBA says 4 DPS. We don't know yet

Freddy Adu is reportedly in talks with two MLS teams for a potential second comeback after another failure to launch in Europe yet again. It is said also that none of his former teams (DCU, RSL, Union) are interested in him though.

Emanuel Adebayor is also reportedly interested to go west and join MLS.

Sacha should have been in a Galaxy uni ):

High School Starter

new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by netsfan549
    new thread?
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=367303