Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Why is Dr.J not considered a top 10 player of all time?

Seems like when everyone is talking about the greatest NBA players his name never seems to get mentioned and he was able to lead his team to the Finals 4 times and win one ring.

So what is it about Doc that makes him not part of the discussion when discussing some of the greats of the 1980's like bird, magic, isiah, worthy?
    Last edited by sportsfan76; 03-15-2014 at 01:26 PM.

NBA Legend

Default Re: Why is Dr.J never mentioned along with some all time greats?

Older players are generally only glorified for stats or titles. Too few people around here were actually watching the game at the time he was playing. If nothing particularly sticks out on his "resume" people don't give a shit.

For instance in 20 years people who never watched this generation will have Kobe ranked higher than Dirk etc. and they'll just bleet "rings" even tho Dirk was definitely a more valuable player than Kobe throughout his career. If you weren't there to see it, you need something tangible like "rings" to hold on to.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 03-15-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Older players are generally only glorified for stats or titles. Too few people around here were actually watching the game at the time he was playing. If nothing particularly sticks out on his "resume" people don't give a shit.

For instance in 20 years people who never watched this generation will have Kobe ranked higher than Dirk etc. and they'll just bleet "rings" even tho Dirk was definitely a more valuable player than Kobe throughout his career. If you weren't there to see it, you need something tangible like "rings" to hold on to.
    Kobe has Dirk beat in almost everything. It goes beyond rings. I mean, what case does Dirk even have outside your obvious hatred of Kobe? That's not a case, either.

He is. He's just not Top 20.

Oh, and, Dirk > Kobe. Wouldn't even think twice about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    He is. He's just not Top 20.

Oh, and, Dirk > Kobe. Wouldn't even think twice about it...

Why is he not top 20?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan76
    Why is he not top 20?
    Because I won't put him above any of the other Top 20 Guys like Barkley/Malone/Robinson... wait, just checked my Top 100 Ranking, I got Julius 21st, so yeah.
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 03-15-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Because I won't put him above any of the other Top 20 Guys like Barkley/Malone/Robinson... wait, just checked my Top 100 Ranking, I got Julius 21th, so yeah.

I'm asking why?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Kobe has Dirk beat in almost everything. It goes beyond rings. I mean, what case does Dirk even have outside your obvious hatred of Kobe? That's not a case, either.

The eye test brah. Dirk was simply a more effective player. Obviously that doesn't guarantee anything from a team perspective otherwise the MVP every year would win the championship.

Look at those threads where people bring up dream duos, one of the most common answers is Shaq + Dirk. You honestly think Dirk couldnt win a bunch of "rings" if he had been paired up with Shaq? You give Dirk a Gasol (mcHale) and a Bynum (with a good attitude) (Parish) and he would win tons of titles and go down as Larry Bird.

The problem is moronic fans can't understand anything but what is simple and directly in front of them. "Kobe has rings! Kobe is teh top 10 bc he has rings!" You're an ididot. Haven't we been over this?

People will claim Kobe is "better" because of his overall skillset. If that's the criteria then Melo is a top 15 player all time. Rings are a product of teams. And skillset means nothing compared to overall effectiveness. But again, Kobe is aesthetically pleasing, and is more "famous" due to his presence on the title winning Laker franchise. So people make up arbitrary criteria to force him into the Top 10. Idiots like yourself. There is no player in the top 20 who is a liability to his team as often as Kobe is. It's just a mindless cult of exaltation that keeps him ranked highly. Objectively he is EXTREMELY overvalued.

It's just a reality bro. You guys are claiming the sun revolves around the earth because you see it at one side of the sky in the morning and the other side at night. Your minds are primitive. You're sheep and fools.

I'm almost positive I've mentioned this before.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 03-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.

NBA Legend

Because I won't put him above any of the other Top 20 Guys like Barkley/Malone/Robinson... wait, just checked my Top 100 Ranking, I got Julius 21th, so yeah.

If you include a PEAK Dr. J's ABA seasons, he may have a case for Top-10.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    If you include a PEAK Dr. J's ABA seasons, he may have a case for Top-10.

Why not the NBA Dr.J?

Earned not given

Damn son, your speech impediment even shows on the internet?

Why not the NBA Dr.J?
    Because the Guy never led a team to a title and only averaged 21 PPG in the Playoffs. If you include ABA then perhaps yes. Its close.

Why not the NBA Dr.J?
    He certainly had a great NBA career, but it came in only 11 of his 16 professional seasons, and probably after his peak, as well. His NBA career had an MVP and a ring, but if you add in his five season ABA career, which included three straight MVPs and two more rings...well, again, he would certainly have justification for a top-10 career.