Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Mr. Robot TV show discussion

Follows a mysterious anarchist who recruits a young computer programmer (Malek) who suffers from an anti-social disorder and connects to people by hacking them.

IMDB Ratings: 9.4/10 from 12,978 users

Synopsis sounds boring but this is Game Of Thrones kind of rating. 13,000 users is a pretty big number, it might drop to 8.8-ish once more users voted but that's still really good.

So...anyone watched it? Comment?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody watch Mr. Robot?

I just caught up on Mr. Robot over the weekend and really really dug it. I'm a big fan of that Remi Malek guy anyway since The Pacific, and this is a spot on role for him. Christian Slater's triumphant return as a grown up version of the kid he was in Pump Up The Volume is interesting. And the internal dialogue gimmick has worked for me so far. I also think they've kept most of the technical hacking stuff at a good distance so far ...
    [COLOR="White"]

... My working theory after three episodes is that Slater and Malek are the same guy, Fight Club Style, which also has some of the internal dialogue stuff[/COLOR]!!!

   

IMDB ratings are worthless to me, but it sounds like a decent premise.

i still need to see "deep web" first, of course...

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Really enjoy it. Very theatrical. USA is trying to get on that FX/AMC level for basic cable programming.

and thorp, definitely got the same vibe as your white text. it made me closely watch their interactions when they were surrounded by other people IE the apple martini scene.
    Last edited by Levity; 07-13-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

it's good

there's another thread about it

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Are people still watching, because it's doing some really cool stuff. It's already had some great moments, and last nights was some Mind Blown stuff. I had gotten to a point where I felt like I had a pretty good handle on what was coming, and now last night was a great bait and switch on what had seemed like a pretty telegraphed set up, but they twisted it good.

Yeah, I was really happy with the twist. Gives a new depth to the characters and makes Elliott's mental issues more interesting than what I assumed was mostly paranoia and depression.

I've really enjoyed the coverage of the show from Grantland too and the interview Greenwald did with Rami Malek. I think one of my favorite things about the show is that is a suspense/thriller show that is constantly surprising, and I don't even really care about trying to figure it out. At this point I trust the show and am along for the ride.

Enjoyed the first episode

Banned

That second to last reveal on the latest episode was amazing..

   

i finally watched ep1 and could definitely see myself getting hooked.

the lead character is really interesting to me in that he's both highly sympathetic due to his character, yet also sort of spooky due to his innocence combined with the extreme power he wields over peoples' lives... both in his ability to hack and to read people well. i imagine both those things really cut down on the danger of becoming paranoid.

but his kind of story is perfect for the times. both as a hacker and an intelligent, informed cynic towards civilisation. sort of "death note" meets cumberbatch's sherlock holmes. plus he doesn't talk like a new yorker or valley girl bro, which is always a nice plus for me.

slater is a lot easier to take in his grown up incarnation. a lot of actors could have pulled off that role, but the christian slater in his wannabe-nicholson days definitely would not have been able.

mr. robot's premise that taking down evil corp would lead to some kind of glorious revolution (and not a global clusterf-ck) is exactly the kind of bullshit delusion that i hate about anarchy movements.

elliot's penchant for dealing with dangerous people face-to-face seems extremely unlikely for the 'reclusive hacker type'... white-hat or not. OTOH showing the reality of him sitting in front of a screen 99% of the time is probably not going to get a show produced.

yeah, i could definitely see myself getting hooked. thanks for the suggestion.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Like others mentioned, the big twist was great (or multiple twists). The score is always great as well.

This show is fvcking phenomenal. Past two episodes have been great, great television.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Yea the two twists/reveals last episode were pretty genius.

Everyone seemed convinced of what looked like the obvious. They definitely are doing a good job with this show so far.

Banned

Just watched the latest episode

Beautiful stuff

Dexter meets the Matrix meets Fight club

It is great to see such originality and style having success

on ep 6. got mindfked a few times but its good!!