Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
       

Default Re: Pinball... a game just for old-heads?

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    Cool, didn't know that. Which one is better in your opinion?
    FP has real 3D rendering but crappy physics. VP is ancient at this point, but has huge amounts of functionality wedged in there... sort of like how windows for years was made out of archaic DOS wearing an elaborate disguise. also, much better physics... but still not as good as zen and pro-pinball.

side note: the pro-pinball guys moved on to consoles and stuff after doing their four PC games. they made around four more tables. i recorded one of the ones for DSXL, but was too tired or something to play well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igs5JB9m6g8

still, those games, like the one you know, are almost williams quality. grab them whenever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    @deucewallaces,
    what are some of the machines they have? i would not have guessed that happy valley was a pinball locus. dang.

btw, i didn't even realise that stern had made a tron table. crazy. i hope they made it out of the original, though, because the sequel pretty much licked testicles.
    I said back home. So I was talking about Grand Rapids, MI. The latter games were classic arcade games, although I do believe I've played Tron pinball.

They have Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurrasic Park, a White Water Rafting one.

One of the 3 places that have lots of machines is the Pyramid Scheme:

   

that's... amazing.

like how several places in philly used to look before the millennia.

f--k you, grand rapids. geez.

Todd McCollough was huge into pinball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...pinball-wizard

Banned

wow took off a lot more in off court rather than video games, thanks gigantes.

The tron stern put out is based on the new movie, it's a fun table but the theme sucks in my opinion. It is probably one of the last few sterns that actually had some quality control though.

If anyone is interested in digital tables pinball arcade on tablets is pretty good, I've had a 2 screen set up with a 22" lcd playfield on it's side and a 19" lcd backglass with visual pinball, you can also just use one screen and get it all free from vpforums. The tables by a guy named jpsalas are probably my favourite recreations.

Nothing feels like a real pin though, the only down sides are when things break and you end up pulling your hair out trying to find the fault and it turns out being something simple. You don't really need to drop too much cash to get a pin either, especially in the states I've seen some older tables go for pretty cheap and there's a bunch of bang for your buck DMD pins you can find relatively cheap like demonlition man, last action hero, tales from the crypt, johnny mnemonic. Some decent tables for a cheap price.

Here's a pretty dodgy shots of my line up

Gigantes, tried this? http://www.pinballarcade.com/

Easily the best pinball recreations i ever seen in a game, in every detail, rock that all the time on iPad.

   

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Gigantes, tried this? http://www.pinballarcade.com/
    unfortunately, yes.

some people i know were part of the pinMAME-component emulation team on that project. and i love the fact that they got paid... makes me happy for them. but... don't get me started on the physics, please.

Banned

unfortunately, yes.

some people i know were part of the pinMAME-component emulation team on that project. and i love the fact that they got paid... makes me happy for them. but... don't get me started on the physics, please.
    visual pinball is the only one I think gets close to pyshics

   

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    visual pinball is the only one I think gets close to pyshics
    yea. first released around 2000 or so, but still the best freebie game engine around.

amazing but true. oO

Downloading visual pinball right now!

I went to this place in Asbury Park once.

lots of fun

http://silverballmuseum.com/
    http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifest...bury-park.html

If you're a Springsteen fan, you can go to the Stone Pony and see a concert a few blocks away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    I went to this place in Asbury Park once.

lots of fun

http://silverballmuseum.com/
    http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifest...bury-park.html

If you're a Springsteen fan, you can go to the Stone Pony and see a concert a few blocks away.

looks awesome, I'm a big springsteen fan, saw him on his last tour to Australia but missed tickets for his next tour. Great live show, so much energy for his age

   

that's cool. i didn't realise there was a significant pin museum on the east coast. usually i just hear about tim arnold's in nevada.

one thing i always enjoyed about the NJ boardwalk towns is how many pins their arcades tend to have. even with the brutal salt
    water factor. some of those places could double as museums based on number of machines, anyway.

@outbreak,
    are you seeing any of the latest machines in oz? stern / jersey jack's?

Banned

that's cool. i didn't realise there was a significant pin museum on the east coast. usually i just hear about tim arnold's in nevada.

one thing i always enjoyed about the NJ boardwalk towns is how many pins their arcades tend to have. even with the brutal salt
    water factor. some of those places could double as museums based on number of machines, anyway.

@outbreak,
    are you seeing any of the latest machines in oz? stern / jersey jack's?
    The WOZ was a debacle here in Australia so I don't know if I'll ever see one of those. Bumper amusements went out of business before the woz was finished and the last I heard Jack is saying Bumper have only paid a tiny amount and were keeping the rest of the customers money in a fund waiting for completion before transferring it, Bumper were claiming they transferred the money to Jack. Last I read people were putting together a class action suit to try and recover some of the funds from Bumper.

Sterns make it here though, there's a guide on the aussie arcade forums of pins on location by state, I know there's a couple of acdc's near me, an x-men, avengers (horrible game). Some of the new sterns are fun but it seems accepted now that they will probably ship with issues or have issues very quickly. I mean if you own a pin you have to accept that it can break at any time but if you buy a new in box stern for $8000+ you don't expect major issues out of the box. The avengers near me had issues the first week it was put on location and it's now got around 4-5 major faults (tesseract spinner is snapped off, hulk doesn't register anything, ball search doesn't find stuck balls, shooter lane is too weak/misalligned so you ball rarely reaches the top) some of these are common problems, some people had to re weld the spinner mech a few weeks after they got the pin as it just snapped on them and was poorly constructed.
    Last edited by outbreak; 11-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.