Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: All-time peak draft 1 team thread

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    A team with Hakeem and dirk doesn't have anyone besides Kidd who can create his own shot? Seriously? That team would be the co favorite along with the Kareem/durant team IMO if you could actually make this tournament happen.
    Thank you. I want 2 do the tourney but bout practice & legends haven't been terribly active.

I didn't get the team I exactly want but it's still deadly. I have every area of the game covered and have no weakness IMO. I don't have as much overall domination in 1 particular area compared 2 others but I can play anything from fast break 2 slow down iso ball. I can also play post up or p&r equally well. I even have rodman 2 play thug ball 2

I don't have 1 area where I just am @ another level then anyone else but I think I have 1 of the most all around teams in he draft
    Last edited by Rizko; 09-17-2014 at 02:17 AM.

College superstar

I did mean "off the bounce" or "perimeter shot creation" when I made that statement. Sorry for not clarifying.

And @Rizko, you make some legit arguments for your team. I appreciate that. I hold TMac in high esteem, so I'm not sure I agree that parallel.. that being said, if he's anywhere near TMac's level as a creator then the rest of the league is in trouble

College superstar

Can someone please do a breakdown of my team? I'd like to see what I overlooked.

Who's pick is it?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Who's pick is it?
    If you weren't so deadly serious in the other threads, I'd think you were kidding.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Alright, here are my thoughts...

Team Wally

The West/Kawhi/Lebron backcourt is just killing it. Nice. Pairing them up with a great scoring big man is also a good idea, although I'm not entirely sold on two of them in the starting lineup. Instead of Ewing, a decent defensive center would'v maybe been even better imo. Or go with him at the 5 and a hustle forward instead of Malone.

Maybe like...

West
    Kawhi
    Lebron
    Oakley
    Ewing

or...

West
    Kawhi
    Lebron
    Malone
    Noah

Your team is still very good and balanced, but with West/Lebron starting and Parker coming off the bench one great post scorer would've been enough imo looking at ball distribution. Besides that, I really like your bench choices of Horry and past prime Mourning as a backup. Very smart. The Hondo pick is a matter of taste I guess. Personally, I would've taken a 3&D guy instead probably, but it's hard to argue against him providing great defense. Spacing is still solid if we assume West is adapting to the 3pt line, which I have no doubt about.

Team L.Kizzle

Not sure about this team. Wilt/Laimbeer is very nice and Frazier at the point I like as well. But MVP Moses and prime Drexler off the bench? 45.5 mpg Wilt and 37.5 mpg Moses simply coexisting? The 2nd best SG of the 90s willing to play whatever minutes Oscar leaves him? And then there's Rick Barry, who's great to build a team around, but on a stacked team I'm not so sure.

I also think you'll be in trouble if opponents are playing zone since you're lacking outside shooting. Your best 3pt shooter is Drexler at 33.7% that season, and he's coming off the bench. I know, Wally is banking on the idea that Jerry West could adapt to the three point line. But it's only one single player...and it's Jerry f*cking West. I just can't imagine the same for like half of your team. So with every squad being loaded, somehow I think this team could self destruct chemistry wise against opponents that just execute without any ego issues.

Team barkleynash

This team is just...fun. Don Nelson just wet his pants looking at that starting five. Nice.

Only small issues imo:

1) Spacing with Shaq and Barkley on the court? Not destroying your team or anything, Barkley is awesome. But Pau Gasol or even David West instead would've opened things up a bit more.

2) Penny off the bench? Don't do him like that If he gets enough minutes, maybe it could work. But it's a bit of a waste imo, one of my favorite players.

But overall this team is very nice. Just deadly in transtition. Only questionmarks are offensive spacing between Shaq/Barkley in slow halfcourt battles and if Penny likes his role. Besides that, great team.

Team kshutts

Awesome starting 5, just amazing. The only weakness I see at all is Elgin Baylor, simply because you don't even need him. Rebounding is more than covered on your team, so even someone like Kyle Korver just camping in the corner for 20 minutes a game would be enough instead of Baylor. Still, give him sufficient minutes, maybe by playing in crunchtime instead of Bowen, and it's still a great pick. Not my taste, but can't really argue against it either.
    Nice team overall.

Team BoutPractice

I like your creativity and this team is intimidating as f*ck. But as much as I like you players individually, I also don't think you'll win the whole thing. A big issue is lateral quickness of your bigs. Sabonis/Sampson is a nightmare in slow half court games, no doubt. Scary. But if opponents are pushing the tempo in transition, you could be in trouble. It will also lead to awkward matchups against mobile big men with great footwork. Sabonis or Sampson guarding Dirk/KG/Duncan/McHale could be awkward.

And I won't write anything about Kevin Love, because I'm a hater basically. Would be biased anyway

So I really like the idea behind your team and it would be a crazy fun squad to watch. Playoffs to me, but a notch below the best teams.

Will do the other teams later.
    Last edited by dr.hee; 09-17-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

My understanding of the voting process was take the top 6 who would all make the playoffs and the bottom 4 would play in against each other to get in the main bracket. And obviously no voting for your own team.

my top 6 teams in no particular order (excluding my own squad)are:

Team Legends: My goal for this team is for Sonics Payton and Kemp to revolt on the bench...maybe Kemp will sleep with Jordan's wife or something... Very solid from top to bottom, but maybe too much fire power for Larry Brown to deal with (the only Dream Team coach not to bring home gold at the Olympics where he didn't particularly use his bench well...yeah I'm grasping for straws but you got Jordan so we gotta attack every angle lol)

Team Bout Practice: Probably the most versatile team with all the crazy lineups they could throw together. Only issue I have is not having true pg to which isn't that big a deal when you have playmaking from every other position, especially Bird. I view Pippen as a supersized Dennis Johnson on this team. Like the idea of really big Twin towers, especially with their skill set. Would've preferred a more athletic power forward off the bench instead of Love that would attack the rim more and who could also guard small forwards as Bird often did much better guarding the 4. Someone like Larry Nance perhaps comes to mind. Also I wanted Love for my team and you picked him right before I could... lol

Team Wally: Very solid top to bottom, I hope Zo and Mailman fight every other practice but they'll probably be weight room buddies... Also you're not allowed to put Lebron or Kawhi on Magic if we match up, only Jerry West, Hondo and Parker are allowed, that's a rule! And please trade me my man crush Kawhi for PG or Miller damn you!

Team Dr Hee: Maybe my favorite team for overall fit and how I see the team working together. I love the Clifford Ray pick, (I imagine used much like I use Davis in my line up) primarily to protect Dirk ala Tyson Chandler and to be like Otis Thorpe when paired with Hakeem and make a super defensive/rebounding combo. Getting the ultimate garbage man in Marion (trade you PG for him straight up lol) was genius as he doesn't need plays called for him to be successful and he can guard 1-4 so great for line up versatility and creative match ups. Personally I would've took Isiah instead of Kidd (I believe he was still available) to have a clutch perimeter closer but the backcourt of Kidd/Richmond (Mitch I feel is underrated) will still hold their own and I like your bench choices. Only weakness I really see on this squad is it's not the most athletic team in the league (apologies to the Dream and the Matrix)

Team Marchesk: Best perimeter rotation of all the teams. Wondering how Alphas Kobe and Isiah will get along. If they get on the same page this team will be truly scary! Other potential weakness is there's no true 4th post if Parish or Duncan get in foul trouble (same weakness my team has)

Team Rizko: All around solid team, no obvious weaknesses that are apparent to me and the KAJ/KD 1-2 punch has gotta be the longest/most unblockable 1-2 punch in history! Personally I would've kept MVP McAdoo and started him and taken Piston's Rodman off the bench. I know it's a surplus of scorers in the starting lineup but you only have to start each half like that and quickly get into a more balanced lineup. Lastly and most importantly, please trade me Dumars
    Last edited by barkleynash; 09-18-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee

Team barkleynash

This team is just...fun. Don Nelson just wet his pants looking at that starting five. Nice.

Only small issues imo:

1) Spacing with Shaq and Barkley on the court? Not destroying your team or anything, Barkley is awesome. But Pau Gasol or even David West instead would've opened things up a bit more.

2) Penny off the bench? Don't do him like that If he gets enough minutes, maybe it could work. But it's a bit of a waste imo, one of my favorite players.

But overall this team is very nice. Just deadly in transtition. Only questionmarks are offensive spacing between Shaq/Barkley in slow halfcourt battles and if Penny likes his role. Besides that, great team.

Best case scenario the whole time they are together it's one endless fast break haha but in the end when it comes to the half court Barkley and Shaq will have to sort it out. I knew it wasn't an ideal fit but it was better than the original Shaq/Malone hand I was dealt and since they are both my favs I decided to pair them anyways. One definite pro of them playing together is they will likely own the glass and also in the combo's defence, prime Charles was a versatile offensive player that could play on the perimeter as well as his obvious bread and butter inside game. I maintain that Chuck has a more consistent jumper then either Haslem or Horace Grant and they both did well with Shaq, so while they are paired together the Chuckster will have to do what's best for business and defer and give up his sweet spot. Obviously when Davis subs in for Shaq, then Charles can go do his usual thing. Granted a guy like Love, Pau or West would def be a better fit for Shaq but I like the idea of always having an MVP calibre big on the floor especially at the end of games for closing time when inevitably Red has to pull the Diesel for fear of the Hackashaq lol. Knowing that Charles is still the go to closer should go a long way for him to accept playing 2nd fiddle to Shaq while they are playing together, another thing I'm hoping Red can smooth over haha.

To address your Penny concern, I'm banking on the Sophomore to be pumped about being his idol Magic Johnson's prot
    Last edited by barkleynash; 09-17-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

dr.hee post this on the first post. Those teams with 2 posts combine them into one and you can replace their 2nd post with my team. I'll do up and pm you a set of instructions for you to include in the first post. Lets get this thing started.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    dr.hee post this on the first post. Those teams with 2 posts combine them into one and you can replace their 2nd post with my team. I'll do up and pm you a set of instructions for you to include in the first post. Lets get this thing started.
    Nice, will change stuff in the evening

National High School Star Jlamb47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world

Team Rizko
    Team Dr Hee
    Team Kshutts
    Team Marchesk
    Team Legend

top 5 teams imo

Thanks wally! Gonna try to give power rankings/impressions tonight but then again I've been saying that for like a week.

It's a shame interest died in the second draft. One big draft with like 16-20 teams would have been interesting. Maybe next time.

College superstar

Real quick then I gotta run for the day...

Love that single post that someone made. Props.

@Dr.Hee,
    I don't see spacing issues with Shaq and Chuck. Barkley had range and handles. He was like... there's no one like him... but he was like a super roided up Antoine Walker on offense, perhaps. Efficiency dropped off at the 3p line, as he only shot in the low 30s, maybe, but otherwise he had legit range, could handle the ball, etc. I don't see Shaq and Chuck having a problem in a half court set.
    And on a tangent, don't know why I just thought of this, but that team will definitely be the most hilarious. Putting those two together? Wow.

And as for my not needing Baylor, I agree, though I'd say I don't need Pettit, as he was the second choice. One thing I really like about having Baylor is he's the lone perimeter player I have that is a slasher. TMac could slash, but that's not really what he did.
    Pettit was the "bad" pick. I honestly chose him because I thought Kizzle would if I didn't, and that would uber-stack his roster, IMO, as Pettit is arguably a top 10 player ever. If you remember correctly, I even tried trading him off, after the fact.
    Oh well, it was my first ever draft of this type, and I learned a lot, and curious to see if we do another. I'd like to, but only if the participants will be active. I know I'd build a better team, but I'm not so sure I'd be lucky enough to have Russell and KG together again, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Thanks wally! Gonna try to give power rankings/impressions tonight but then again I've been saying that for like a week.

It's a shame interest died in the second draft. One big draft with like 16-20 teams would have been interesting. Maybe next time.
    Indeed. 6 teams from the 2nd draft are completed, but 4 owners dropped off the face of the earth, making it moot.

I wonder if we (you and I) from the second draft can still compete in a round robin tournament? then face off against the first draft winner?

I do think dr hee made two mistakes in the years he took. 06 dirk was a better player than 11 dirk. He was more athletic, a much better defender and rebounder and better off the bounce. He didn't really have the 1 footed turn around yet though so I can see the reasoning for taking him in 11 even if I wouldn't. I would definitely have taken younger Kidd though. Kidd Marion Hakeem is as athletic as it gets at 1-3-5 and if you had taken him and 06 dirk, you keep the teak friendly aspect while also removing any questions whatsoever about athleticism.