Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Doug McDermott = Chandler Parsons + 44% 3-pt

He's nothing like Parsons. Literally nothing like him at all.

Parsons is much more athletic and a better ball handler. He's something of a point-forward.

McDermott is a better scorer, he has a good post game and is obviously a great shooter. He's a lot bigger than Jimmer, so I can see him being able to get his shot off in the pros. I don't know if he has the lateral quickness to defend anybody, that could really limit his effectiveness once he's in the NBA. He posts up a fair amount in college, I don't know if he'll be able to do that at the next level. If he can, then he could be a legit 20ppg scorer. If not, he'll really just be a shooter off the bench, albeit a very good one. I tend to think he'll be more of the latter, but I still think he'll be a very good pick in the mid-teens.

The guy is 6'8" 225. He stayed for his senior year and has become a great defender.

Before this year, we knew he could handle the ball, attack the rim, and had range out to 28 feet.

Now we know he plays solid defense to boot. Hes much much more then Morrison, and his game will translate great.

I usually hit open layups

actually a poor man's steve novak or adam morrison, won't be able to get his shot off in the post because of height (6'8) and wingspan (6'8 t-rex arms) or rebound, no foot speed whatsoever won't be able to defend (interior or perimeter) or create his own shot, for his career he will be a guy who comes in off the bench for 15-20 minutes and shoot spot up jumpers, he would be lucky to be a late 1st round pick

45 points on senior night.
    Moved from 9th to 7th all time scoring list.
    Scored his 3000th point.

Like I said, Chandler Bang with range. Dude's ceiling is 21pts, 8rebs, 3 asts and 44% from deep.

McDermott's ceiling is Luis Scola with lights out 3 point shooting. Or a Mini-Dirk
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 03-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Stereotypical college superstar, NBA roleplayer

Eg. Jimmer Fredette, JR Reddick, psycho T, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, etc.

Dont watch much college basketball (very rarely in fact), but I think its cause you need less athleticism to get off your jumpers in college, as compared with the NBA
    JJ Redick's brain in JR Smith's body?

Goat!

Banned

If you played all 4 years of college ball you are at best as a role player.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Stereotypical college superstar, NBA roleplayer

Eg. Jimmer Fredette, JR Reddick, psycho T, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, etc.

Dont watch much college basketball (very rarely in fact), but I think its cause you need less athleticism to get off your jumpers in college, as compared with the NBA
    Parsons was not even the best player on his team in college at times. He wasn't a superstar by any means. He also has pretty good athleticism so I don't know what you're talking about. Also, his jumper is wayyyy better now than it was in college. He was way more streaky at Florida.

Tyler Hansbrough has pretty good athleticism too. Great hands. Inconsistent jumper though. So I don't know why he's on your list.

As far as what you're saying, it has nothing to do as much with athleticism as much as a team being built around their skills and talents. With Jimmer and JJ, Duke and BYU's entire offense was built around their ability to shoot and to come off screens At the next level, no team wants (or should) build their skills. Also, of recent note, most of these guys (save Morrison) are undersized for their position at the next level. Jimmer is more of a 2, but he has the size of a 1. Same with JJ. Tyler isn't big enough to play center, and so on.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Unlike most of the guys that will go ahead of him that are one and dones that will be total question marks coming in. Guys that will still need time to learn to play the game and develop. You know what you're getting with McDermott. I don't think McDermott will be rookie of the year. He may sit on the pine a few years..depends where he plays. But he will probably be better overall than some of those hyped guys drafted before him.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.big35
    If you played all 4 years of college ball you are at best as a role player.
    Tim Duncan

Banned

chandler PArsons is horrible, so without knowing the dude i say hell be better

Very unique player with an unorthodox style- he's the wild card in this draft. Everyone who acts like he's a "foregone conclusion" as either a success or failure may be shocked. He could be a Kevin Love style surprise (not saying their games are similar, if anything he's more like Antawn Jamison, just noting that Kevin Love similarly could've been dismissed as a slow, unathletic undersized white guy... the walking counterargument to the idea that these players inherently lack "upside"), a nice role player, or the first player out of this draft to be out of the league. It's that unpredictable with him. Definitely worth taking a chance on after the lottery.