Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Which Perimeter Players Drafted From '87 Onward Would You Take Over Scottie Pippen?

Career not peak..for active players just project their careers

Notable perimeter players that came into the league '87 onward (HoFers for the most part):

Reggie Miller
    Mitch Richmond
    Kevin Johnson
    Gary Payton
    Jason Kidd
    Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Tracy McGrady
    Vince Carter
    Paul Pierce
    Manu Ginobli
    Tony Parker
    LeBron James
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Chris Paul
    Rajon Rondo
    Kevin Durant
    Derrick Rose
    Russell Westbrook
    James Harden
    Steph Curry

If I missed anybody you think deserves to be included please let me know!

Default Re: Which Perimeter Players Drafted From '87 Onward Would You Take Over Scottie Pippen?

lebron
    kobe
    durant
    melo
    iverson

Krust Kingz

Default Re: Which Perimeter Players Drafted From '87 Onward Would You Take Over Scottie Pippen?

There could be a ton of possible players taken if you are referring to having a league dog main guy. Pippen is a major component strictly 1B type player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quite honestly, a lot of them. More than 10. Almost any of those guys could have played second option to Jordan, and collected 6 rings.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Career not peak..for active players just project their careers

Notable perimeter players that came into the league '87 onward (HoFers for the most part):

Reggie Miller
    Mitch Richmond
    Kevin Johnson
    Gary Payton
    Jason Kidd
    Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Tracy McGrady
    Vince Carter
    Paul Pierce
    Manu Ginobli
    Tony Parker
    LeBron James
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Chris Paul
    Rajon Rondo
    Kevin Durant
    Derrick Rose

Russell Westbrook
    James Harden
    Steph Curry

If I missed anybody you think deserves to be included please let me know!
    Here are mine. 50/50 on Paul and Rose. I would take T Mac and Wade too if we were going by peaks.

For the record, Pippen actually was drafted over K. Johnson, Reggie Miller as well as Reggie Lewis.

Almost any of those guys could have played second option to Jordan, and collected 6 rings.
    Interestingly, MJ himself disagreed. He refused to allow Chicago to trade Pippen for a younger star, i.e. Kemp. If Pippen was that interchangeable logic says you go with the younger player.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

The only 3 for me are LeBron, Kobe and Durant...

kobe
    kidd
    lebrick

maybe kd but dude is thinner than my dick

A common mistake people always make in these hypotheticals is assuming you can simply swap raw production without looking at intangibles. How many of these players would also supply Pippen's leadership, dominant defense, and have the same chemistry with not only Jordan but with the rest of the team? Shaq+Kobe is the prime example. On paper that team should have dominated for a decade but was doomed by chemistry issues. Iverson and Carmelo, Kobe/Howard/Nash/Gasol on the Lakers and the 11' Heat are other examples of teams that looked much better on paper than on the court.

For example (from Charley Rosen):

In fact, all of the Bulls were somewhat afraid of Michael Jordan (who would ferociously bark at them whenever they made the slightest mistake in positioning or timing). For solace and advice, the players instead turned to Scottie. Throughout the dynasty, it was Pippen who was the team's on-court leader.
    Pippen was universally the most liked teammate on the Bulls (even by Kukoc) and made sure everyone got involved and lifted up struggling teammates. He also was an expert in the triangle offense, picking it up faster than any other player has.

How many of the other 20+ ppg scores on the list would supply all the rest/or offset the intangibles by increased production elsewhere?
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-21-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    A common mistake people always make in these hypotheticals is assuming you can simply swap raw production without looking at intangibles. How many of these players would also supply Pippen's leadership, dominant defense, and have the same chemistry with not only Jordan but with the rest of the team? Shaq+Kobe is the prime example. On paper that team should have dominated for a decade but was doomed by chemistry issues. Iverson and Carmelo, Kobe/Howard/Nash/Gasol on the Lakers and the 11' Heat are other examples of teams that looked much better on paper than on the court.

For example (from Charley Rosen):

Pippen was universally the most liked teammate on the Bulls (even by Kukoc) and made sure everyone got involved and lifted up struggling teammates. Jordan would not even talk to several teammates. He also was an expert in the triangle offense, picking it up faster than anyone else has.

How many of the other 20+ ppg scores on the list would supply all the rest/or offset the intangibles by increased production elsewhere?
    Yep, fantastic post.

Barring injury, of course.

Allen Iverson
    Kobe Bryant
    Tracy McGrady
    Vince Carter
    Paul Pierce
    LeBron James
    Dwyane Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Chris Paul
    Kevin Durant

I'd take them. Some of them have to do with putting butts in seats along with being great players.
    Last edited by moe94; 07-21-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock

Interestingly, MJ himself disagreed. He refused to allow Chicago to trade Pippen for a younger star, i.e. Kemp. If Pippen was that interchangeable logic says you go with the younger player.
    mj knew he wasnt shit without pippen

LeBron
    Kobe
    Wade
    KD

If healthy:

Penny
    G. Hill
    McGrady

W/o Jordan molding him though, we would've had an entirely different Scottie Pippen. Most likely inferior as well. He tried to play like mini Jordan, and Mike is the one who made the meek headache prone pansy into the beast of a sidekick he eventually became.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

LeBron
    Kobe
    Durant

That's it.

NBA rookie of the year

Bryant, James, Wade, Durant.

That's it.

[B]Depends on which players I already have on the team... For intances, you got some elite PG's on that list, always major.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDGE WITNESS
    mj knew he wasnt shit without pippen
    Pippen not being traded was a condition of MJ's return. So I ask, if Pippen was so interchangeable wouldn't the logical thing be to trade the 29-30 year old Pippen for a 24-25 year old star like Kemp? The Bulls could have gotten Shawn Kemp (a 20/11 type PF in his prime) along with Ricky Pierce for Pippen. Interestingly, MJ, retired at the time and friends with George Karl recommended that Karl make the trade because it would guarantee Seattle a championship. Again, MJ's words (MJ viewed Pippen as the best player in the league in 95' so that is the perspective he was looking at it from). I use Kemp as an example because that is real trade that almost happened but the Bulls could have gotten a number of other stars for Pippen.

W/o Jordan molding him though, we would've had an entirely different Scottie Pippen.