Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alien: Isolation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkh0-jPfxs

This looks like the Alien game people have been waiting for. It's not a FPS or action game at all. It's actually a horror game with only one alien tracking you throughout the game. Looks a little bit like Amnesia or Outlast, as pointed out in the video.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Default Re: Alien: Isolation

Soooo

Did anyone play this?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    Soooo

Did anyone play this?

Thoughts?
    I haven't played it (2spooky4me), but most people seemed to like it.

I didn't like it at all. It's cheap (even if you hide in the greatest place in the world, the alien just pops up right there somehow) and it's more geared to hiding from the alien than confronting him. It's more a hiding simulator than an aliens game. The thought process was good, the execution was eh. I regret buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    it's more geared to hiding from the alien than confronting him.
    That's the point. The alien is supposed to be threatening, not FPS fodder.

I haven't played it, but it seems to be the only Alien game that "gets it" (in terms of design).

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

It's on sale for €17 in the PSN Store right now. I'll buy it at that price.

Banned

If you haven't tried it pick it up now on sale. Great game. I totally disagree with Niko. It's not an "aliens" game it's an "alien" game based on the first movie. It brings the alien back to what it should be and makes it a threat. I didn't find it cheap either, yes you will die but you will know why you died and if you are clever you can do some cool things with the environment and the other humans that are around. My biggest complaint is that the story feels stretched at times and some of the objectives are really "walk to point A to pick up a spanner" "walk to point b to use the spanner" "walk back to point a to return the spanner and get a screwdriver". They should have shortened it abit imo but other than that great game. Once you get the flamethrower the alien becomes easier to deal with too but they throw other obstacles in your way at that point. One of the best games of this gen imo

I just bought this joint with the other expansion material.

Love the game's design, not sure how much I'll be into playing it for hours on end like Fallout but since I'm a fan of the Alien lore and aesthetic, I decided to check it out.

I'm on the fence with how much I like this game so far. I get that it's a slow burn but not being able to kill the androids sucks. Plus, I must have passed the MedKit blueprint because I can't even build any Medpacks. WTF

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    I just bought this joint with the other expansion material.

Love the game's design, not sure how much I'll be into playing it for hours on end like Fallout but since I'm a fan of the Alien lore and aesthetic, I decided to check it out.

I'm on the fence with how much I like this game so far. I get that it's a slow burn but not being able to kill the androids sucks. Plus, I must have passed the MedKit blueprint because I can't even build any Medpacks. WTF
    You can kill the androids.

They just keep owning my ass but yes, I finally managed to take one down after he dogged my whole health bar by blasting a couple shots then hitting him with the big door jack.

In other news, I got killed by the Alien for the first time in the Medical Bay

Home of the 16

How mysterious are the aliens? I tried playing it the first 20 minutes of the game & I just couldn't take it anymore. I really wanted to get into it but 1. I'm a ***** when it comes to horror game, 2. not a fan of generic/common missions? surprise me. 3. I'm already not a fan of anything spaceship-related, I have not finished a Star Wars movie.

So for those who've played it, is there anything unique gameplay-wise just in terms of features or alien behaviors, some patterns that you can alter? Something along those lines.

I like horror but a p*ssy at the same time & if something is not worth it, then there's no way I'm playing the game. lol but then again, I like suspense, the thrill knowing you have no control of any of the situations unless you run, I like that you don't always fight with weapons -- sort of like The Outlast.

I still want to get into it, just either waiting to get bored or the turning point or just to find the urge to play it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    How mysterious are the aliens? I tried playing it the first 20 minutes of the game & I just couldn't take it anymore. I really wanted to get into it but 1. I'm a ***** when it comes to horror game, 2. not a fan of generic/common missions? surprise me. 3. I'm already not a fan of anything spaceship-related, I have not finished a Star Wars movie.

So for those who've played it, is there anything unique gameplay-wise just in terms of features or alien behaviors, some patterns that you can alter? Something along those lines.

I like horror but a p*ssy at the same time & if something is not worth it, then there's no way I'm playing the game. lol but then again, I like suspense, the thrill knowing you have no control of any of the situations unless you run, I like that you don't always fight with weapons -- sort of like The Outlast.

I still want to get into it, just either waiting to get bored or the turning point or just to find the urge to play it.
    You can use the alien to kill other humans when you see them by throwing noise makers near them or just luring the alien close to them when you know it's near you. I liked isolation more than outlast.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold

There's only one alien and he's a b!tch and a half.

This game is pretty hard and sometimes it doesn't even seem like your strategy or carefulness matters.

I've been gettin my ass owned by the Alien and it's kinda pissin me off

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROCSteady
    There's only one alien and he's a b!tch and a half.

This game is pretty hard and sometimes it doesn't even seem like your strategy or carefulness matters.

I've been gettin my ass owned by the Alien and it's kinda pissin me off
    really?

My biggest complaint about the game is the mission structure. There's A LOT of little missions that are stupid things like "go fetch a spanner from point A" then when you get there "take the spanner to point B" then when you get there "go get a screw from point C" then when you get there "go take the screw back to point B". Just a lot of running around multiple times that could be stream lined, the threat of the alien makes it a bit better so it doesn't feel like totally useless filler like it does in some other games but it's annoying.

Well I've only finished 5 missions but yea it's just the one stalking you on certain missions and there isn't really anything you can do to fight him yet.

You just have to sneak around without being detected and sometimes, even if you hide well, he'll pop up and snatch ya life.

I just got back into playing video games a few months ago after years so a lot of these new games seem really difficult.

This game is pretty difficult imo