Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    College superstar

Default Re: Understanding the NBA Salary Cap when it reaches $100M.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    So you are saying there is absolutely no way they can fit Wade, Durant or max player, and Whiteside into the cap next year?

I thought the whole point of this was to be able to do that. Miami screwed up if that is the case.
    Bosh is making 23.7
    Dragic - ~18M
    KD (30% of 89M) 26.7M

Thats >68M they would be locked into (out of 89M).

They would have to renounce Deng, Birdman, Chalmers, UD, etc and they would then have to get Wade and Whiteside and anyone else they want to pay over the min to SPLIT <21M. Whiteside will have 1.6M in career NBA earnings and cannot possibly be expected to give a huge discount in a year where 27 teams could have max space. But IMO its pretty evident he would be the one they would keep.

Miami is nowhere NEAR being able to offer that, even though they are presenting it (even tried to talk LaMarcus into signing a 1 yr deal elsewhere). They want KD to give them a shot. But if he does give them a look it is going to come at the expense of Wade. There is no question about it. And if that is what they are doing to their greatest player ever (and it transparently is) its just WRONG.
    Last edited by HurricaneKid; 07-07-2015 at 05:39 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Bosh is making 23.7
    Dragic - ~18M
    KD (30% of 89M) 26.7M

Thats 68M they would be locked into (out of 89M).

They would have to renounce Deng, Birdman, Chalmers, UD, etc and they would then have to get Wade and Whiteside and anyone else they want to pay over the min to SPLIT 21M. Whiteside will have 1.6M in career NBA earnings and cannot possibly be expected to give a huge discount in a year where 27 teams could have max space. But IMO its pretty evident he would be the one they would keep.

Miami is nowhere NEAR being able to offer that, even though they are presenting it (even tried to talk LaMarcus into signing a 1 yr deal elsewhere). They want KD to give them a shot. But if he does give them a look it is going to come at the expense of Wade. There is no question about it. And if that is what they are doing to their greatest player ever (and it transparently is) its just WRONG.

Yea...I agree.

But just so I'm clear (I know the cap stuff well, but not well enough it seems)...

The Heat could in theory give Whiteside 14 million a year and Wade 7 million a year...and then max KD...then fill out the roster with any exceptions and vet min contracts...right?

Because I'd imagine they would renounce all the guys you listed pretty much regardless.

Couldn't they also trade Bob at some point to open up more space as well?

College superstar

Yea...I agree.

But just so I'm clear (I know the cap stuff well, but not well enough it seems)...

The Heat could in theory give Whiteside 14 million a year and Wade 7 million a year...and then max KD...then fill out the roster with any exceptions and vet min contracts...right?

Because I'd imagine they would renounce all the guys you listed pretty much regardless.

Do you think either of those guys takes that when everyone has space to pay them market rate?

Renouncing them means they can't pay them > league min.

I didn't want to get into it too much. Its actually worse that as
    McBob - 5.8
    Winslow - 2.6
    Napier - 1.35
    Ennis - 980k

All count towards the 89M cap. So with them still on Miami they would only have <10M to pay Wade AND Whiteside with. All are easily moved/opted out of so I kind of just ignored them.

Also note: MLE would apply but no other exceptions for them until the following season either. No TPEs, etc. So even if they did keep both, dump everyone else on the team, they can ONLY pay league min for the entire bench.
    Last edited by HurricaneKid; 07-07-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Decent college freshman

Yea...I agree.

They could trade McBob but I think Wade and Whiteside still would need to take less to feasibly make it all work. I think Riley needs to choose between Wade/Whiteside + decent bench or going for KD + cheapo supporting cast. Of course, if the latter falls through, the former situation will still be presumably available.

I don't think they can just renounce and ignore Wade, since you guys said, it would turn off future FAs.

I still think Whiteside can be had with the right big contract by another team. He can be sold that he'll in more a featured role, much the same Dallas did this summer with DJ.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Do you think either of those guys takes that when everyone has space to pay them market rate?

Renouncing them means they can't pay them > league min.

I didn't want to get into it too much. Its actually worse that as
    McBob - 5.8
    Winslow - 2.6
    Napier - 1.35
    Ennis - 980k

All count towards the 89M cap. So with them still on Miami they would only have <10M to pay Wade AND Whiteside with. All are easily moved/opted out of so I kind of just ignored them.

Also note: MLE would apply but no other exceptions for them until the following season either. No TPEs, etc. So even if they did keep both, dump everyone else on the team, they can ONLY pay league min for the entire bench.
    Whiteside won't settle for anything than his going market rate.

Wade? I could definitely see Wade taking a long term deal at a favored rate per year.

I was just curious to see if it was even possible to do what the Heat were saying they were gearing up for....because a guy like KD isn't going there unless Whiteside, Wade, and Winslow are all there in addition to Dragic and Bosh.