Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Default Re: Battle of Eras: Walt Frazier's comments vs Lebron's on the Heat's streak

'92/96 Bulls
    '89 Pistons
    '87 Lakers
    '86 Celtics
    '00 Lakers
    '83 Sixers
    '72 Lakers

Top 10 is a tall order, but if the Heat continue their path I can see it happening.

Default Re: Battle of Eras: Walt Frazier's comments vs Lebron's on the Heat's streak

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Look, you Heat "fans" are getting way ahead of yourselves. First win the second title, then talk about all time great team...you know there have been more than a couple repeat champs right? The Lakers in the 2000s, a threepeat and a repeat, the Bulls threepeated twice and the Rockets repeated. Lakers won back to back and also the Pistons in the 80s.

What the hell makes this Heat team, that hasn't even won their second title, better then those teams I mentioned?

Get a grip you stans, y'all spewing some real ignorant shit...Let's see what Miami does in the playoffs before we start calling them a historic team
    You're a Bulls "fan" and probably only became one after Jordan, so you really have no right to emphasize "fan" to anyone.

Just because a team doesn't win a title, doesn't make it not a great team. From personal experience watching my teams, I can tell you that the 05 Miami Heat that didn't win a title were undoubtedly better than the 06 team that did. Same goes with Chelsea, the soccer team I support. In terms of talent and play, they were all time great back in 05-08ish period, but they won the Champions League with their worst side in years.

The thread is more of a prospective thread anyway. Talking about what if.

Jeff needs to lengthen user titles to accommodate all the foreign bandwagoners.

CHELSEA|HEAT|49ERS|YANKEES|GALAXY|BRUINS|BARCELONA |PATRIOTS

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Its impossible to try and have a decent conversation or get back a sensible reply on here as a Heat fan. Dipshit galore on here.
    That works both ways.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by CP3MVP
    '92/96 Bulls
    '89 Pistons
    '87 Lakers
    '86 Celtics
    '00 Lakers
    '83 Sixers
    '72 Lakers

Top 10 is a tall order, but if the Heat continue their path I can see it happening.
    '67 76ers is better than the '72 Lakers and often cited as a top 5 team all-time with a front line debatad as being even better than the '86 Celtics front line...

Also, the '71 Bucks is a top 10 team.

Frazier is correct about Heat not being Top10 team of All-time, only die-hard Lebron fans will argue with that. He is also right about weak competition.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    '67 76ers is better than the '72 Lakers and often cited as a top 5 team all-time with a front line debatad as being even better than the '86 Celtics front line...

Also, the '71 Bucks is a top 10 team.
    Do you believe that the path to the 71 title is considered weak ?

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joey3000
    Man, I'm tired of these "back in my day" players always trying to make it seem like they are that much better than current players. This team is doing great things period.

Them tight a$$ shorts musta cut off fraziers circulation causing massive damage to his braincells at his advanced age.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Hmm... Almost all Heat fans in here being insecure. The team is not that great.

I agree. They are good and have learned how to play together but a team with a good big WILL give them fits.

Now a Cavs fan again

Deniers here are completely delusional. A team that's won 27 straight games and has a stacked trio of LeBron/Wade/Bosh is not among the greatest in history? Use common sense. This team is easily one of the greatest ever. When all is said and done they'll probably be ranked #2 all time only behind the 1996 Bulls. And even then, there won't be some massive difference between the two.

I don't know that the split leagues (ABA/NBA) were a factor until the 73-74 season.

Anyhow, if they continue winning games and continue their dominant run through the playoffs (with at least a couple of tough opponents), they'd have to be way up there. Maybe not in the class of the 71-72 Lakers, 85-86 Celtics, 66-67 76ers, 95-96 Bulls (or the 96-97 edition, which also was great), 70-71 Bucks, but they'd definitely compare favorably with the great teams in league history. I think they'd have to crack the top 10 (and perhaps pretty comfortably).

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I don't know that the split leagues (ABA/NBA) were a factor until the 73-74 season.
    Interesting...What was it about that season that sticks out to you?

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    Interesting...What was it about that season that sticks out to you?
    http://remembertheaba.com/ABAStatist...hibitions.html

The ABA really started to perform well in those contests starting with that season. Given they were exhibitions, but it's the closest thing to a cross-league barometer that we have available. G.O.A.T also had some good posts on the topic a few months ago, I'll look for the thread when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    http://remembertheaba.com/ABAStatist...hibitions.html

The ABA really started to perform well in those contests starting with that season. Given they were exhibitions, but it's the closest thing to a cross-league barometer that we have available. G.O.A.T also had some good posts on the topic a few months ago, I'll look for the thread when I have a chance.
    I'm not sure it's necessary to go to that point when the leagues were at their closest for Lebron's point to be valid because his point was basically there was a lot of talent in the ABA already that would've made the NBA stronger. The teams weren't quite equal, but there was a lot of talent in the ABA even by that point. Also, take into the consideration that the NBA had just expanded the year before even with the ABA noticeably increasing in talent. But I think the larger point is that there are always reasons to diminish what a team is doing and nitpick reasons why they aren't as great as a team from another season (you could make a similar argument with the '96/'97 Bulls as the '72 Lakers), but they're still winning and the differentiation between competition really hasn't changed dramatically enough (or at all really) to nitpick when a great team does something historic. Granted, this will all be moot if the Heat doesn't win a title, but right now they seem to be on their way to be included in the discussion of all-time great teams.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I'm not sure it's necessary to go to that point when the leagues were at their closest for Lebron's point to be valid because his point was basically there was a lot of talent in the ABA already that would've made the NBA stronger. The teams weren't quite equal, but there was a lot of talent in the ABA even by that point. Also, take into the consideration that the NBA had just expanded the year before even with the ABA noticeably increasing in talent. But I think the larger point is that there are always reasons to diminish what a team is doing and nitpick reasons why they aren't as great as a team from another season (you could make a similar argument with the '96/'97 Bulls as the '72 Lakers), but they're still winning and the differentiation between competition really hasn't changed dramatically enough (or at all really) to nitpick when a great team does something historic. Granted, this will all be moot if the Heat doesn't win a title, but right now they seem to be on their way to be included in the discussion of all-time great teams.
    Eh, I disagree with you on the ABA points (73-74, 74-75, 75-76 have to be the three weakest seasons in the shotclock era), but have no problem with the bolded.

I'm a bit of a Wade stan so it'd be neat for him to add this great season to his resume, and it's always fun to watch history unfold live, so I'm all for them continuing this run.