Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1421222324
    Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

Default Re: where does Dirk rank among all time greatest PFs?

Quote Originally Posted by 04mzwach
    I think they need to refresh the list of all time scorers. It's alright to have a complete list ranking too but the rules have changed enough to where scoring isn't really as difficult. I'm not talking about Dirk because I think his game isn't affected by the rules of the NBA today or yesterday.
    Isn't it generally accepted that scoring was much higher up until the mid 90s.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...NBA_stats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MavsPoke

This is the correct ranking.

2-4 are all super close.

Dirk won a championship as the main man on his team. He also took what was the worst franchise in pro sports and turned it into just behind the Spurs in winning percentage.

Garnett won a championship as part of a Big 3. He didn't have playoff success in Minny and went to Boston to team up with 2 HOFs.

Malone and Barkley were amazing, legendary players but no championships so I gotta put them behind Dirk and Garnett.
    Don't act as if KG wasn't the best player though. It is just as easy to say Dirk was either the second or second worst defender on that team, he needed that help to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Are We Going To Compare The 00s and 10s To The Dream Team Era of the 80s and 90s?

Please....
    I would compare the recent Western Conference gauntlet to just about any era. Getting deep in the playoffs in the West is about as rough as it gets.

The East...not so much.

Dirk is really unselfish for a guy who's primarily a scorer. No doubt in my mind he could have averaged 27+ consistently if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    Don't act as if KG wasn't the best player though. It is just as easy to say Dirk was either the second or second worst defender on that team, he needed that help to win.
    Ray Allen, Paul Piece and Rondo is a pretty nice "supporting cast". Paul Piece might have an argument about who was the best player.

But if you want to call the championship a wash then I look at the constant winning and playoff runs Dirk had in Dallas vs what KG did in Minny and I don't see how it compares.