Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    Root Of All Evil

Default Re: It's Gonna Be A Long Decade of Heat championships

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    They lost to a team whose second best player was Jason Terry. While you completely attempt to forget about just how the season ended for the Heat and say, "they lost in the Finals... Big deal..."

The truth is, things laid out for them extremely well this season. It was the year that, unexpectedly, both the Lakers and Celtics fell off. The Magic were also a shell of their former selves. They played a Mavs team in the Finals that most people thought was going to lose in the first round against Portland.

This was a golden opportunity to win a championship that was lost. I will be surprised if next year's road to a title is as perfectly paved as this year's was.
    Yup.

Especially with further improvement from the Bulls, Knicks, and if another super power is formed via D-Will, CP3, Dwight Howard, and whoever.

And that's just their conference.

People are underestimating this ...

And Miami will be forced to continue to re-load EVERY YEAR outside of the big 3 with small contracts for washed up veterans.

Trading Bosh for more well rounded pieces would actually probably be in their best interest. But Miami fans don't want to hear that ... they think they can have their cake and eat it too.

High School Varsity 6th Man NBAller's Avatar

They lost to a team whose second best player was Jason Terry. While you completely attempt to forget about just how the season ended for the Heat and say, "they lost in the Finals... Big deal..."

The truth is, things laid out for them extremely well this season. It was the year that, unexpectedly, both the Lakers and Celtics fell off. The Magic were also a shell of their former selves. They played a Mavs team in the Finals that most people thought was going to lose in the first round against Portland.

This was a golden opportunity to win a championship that was lost. I will be surprised if next year's road to a title is as perfectly paved as this year's was.
    Err.... rather difficult to 'try' to forget about what just happened, no?

The Mavericks clearly had the better Team with Kidd, Terry, Stevenson, Dirk, Chandler.......while Heat had Wade, Bron, Bosh, and once a blue moon were their shooters making shots fall. 5 guys can guard 3, can't say 3 guys can guard 5.

Assuming the big 3 do work in this off season along with their role players, they've got next season in the bag IMO.

Anyway, Mavs, Lakers, Celtics all are aging faster ( meaning headed twords their decline) than the Heat making things easier for the Heat in the Long run.

By the way, the Jet isn't a joke. It's clear you aren't a Laker fan....cause the Jet raped them sideways.
    Last edited by NBAller; 06-18-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    All the complainers and whiners in this thread need to deal with a few facts:

Despite being up 1-0 the Heat has problems.
    [list][*]They shot only 38.9%. In other words, they rely heavily on LeBron and Wade to hit their perimeter shots. Sure they're versatile and potent, but they're not terribly consistent from the bonus line (33% and 31% respectively this season). They hit 70% of their 3s in Game 1. Once that percentage drops back to the means, their offense is exposed as inefficient. [*]In game 1, the Heat performed well on the glass, above the norm. This shouldn't be taken for granted, given the larger sample size of their rebounding over the season and the playoffs. [*]Dallas held Miami to 0.88 points per possession & only 8 points from transition, in which Haslem fired blanks from the top of the key, Bibby bricked all of his shots, & Bosh was a horrible 5 of 18. So, because the Heat is deadly in transition, the Mavericks kept that under control and forced Wade/Bron to hit their jumpers. That wasn't enough for Game 1, but it could be for tonight. Dallas just needs to rebound better and hit a couple more shots and they'll steal homecourt.[/list]

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: It's Gonna Be A Long Decade...

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    I was referring to this.

and this.

You were basically claiming that the only resistance the league could offer was through the new CBA.
    You realize that I was called out in this thread and others were bumped because I had been saying all season that I didn't think the Heat's parts made any sense together and that they were getting by on talent alone, right? The whole reason why I was having to defend my position in this thread were because Heat/LeBron fans felt it necessary to throw their success in my face and they thought it was a forgone conclusion that a title was on the way.

I stand by everything I said in this thread and others...

A. The Heat's pieces make no sense together. Wade and James are redundant and they will never bring out the best in one another. They may eventually win championships, but it will be by overwhelming opponents with talent offensively and not through the formation of a true team whose whole is better than the parts.

B. This team did tilt the competitive balance of the league. When you take the best players off of three good teams all in their primes and throw them together on one 'super' team, that is literally the definition of a competitive coup and concentration of power that leaves several teams out in the cold. It doesn't mean that they are guaranteed a championship... Just that several other teams are guaranteed to stink.

C. I do still completely believe that if a hard cap is not reached in the new CBA, we may be looking at a model of 'haves' and 'have nots' similar to what has been the case in the MLB. If James/Wade/Bosh started a trend that is continued by others, there will be 15-20 completely insignificant franchises.... And, I don't want to see that happen.

You realize that I was called out in this thread and others were bumped because I had been saying all season that I didn't think the Heat's parts made any sense together and that they were getting by on talent alone, right? The whole reason why I was having to defend my position in this thread were because Heat/LeBron fans felt it necessary to throw their success in my face and they thought it was a forgone conclusion that a title was on the way.

I stand by everything I said in this thread and others...

A. The Heat's pieces make no sense together. Wade and James are redundant and they will never bring out the best in one another. They may eventually win championships, but it will be by overwhelming opponents with talent offensively and not through the formation of a true team whose whole is better than the parts.

B. This team did tilt the competitive balance of the league. When you take the best players off of three good teams all in their primes and throw them together on one 'super' team, that is literally the definition of a competitive coup and concentration of power that leaves several teams out in the cold. It doesn't mean that they are guaranteed a championship... Just that several other teams are guaranteed to stink.

C. I do still completely believe that if a hard cap is not reached in the new CBA, we may be looking at a model of 'haves' and 'have nots' similar to what has been the case in the MLB. If James/Wade/Bosh started a trend that is continued by others, there will be 15-20 completely insignificant franchises.... And, I don't want to see that happen.

A is only true if you believe if LeBron and Wade are incapable of changing their games. As they operate now, you are correct that they do not compliment one another very well. However, there is always the possibility they learn how to play off the ball while adding to their offensive games.

With B, they technically only took the best player from two teams since Wade stayed in Miami. I see your point but did losing Bosh really guarantee that Toronto would be bad when they already kind of sucked with him?

with C I disagree that a hard cap alone would create competitive balance. Yes, the NFL has a hard cap but the major difference is NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Hell, they can even take away your signing bonus in some cases. A hard cap will not work very well as long as the contracts are guaranteed b/c teams will still get screwed with next gen Eddie Curry types.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    A is only true if you believe if LeBron and Wade are incapable of changing their games. As they operate now, you are correct that they do not compliment one another very well. However, there is always the possibility they learn how to play off the ball while adding to their offensive games.

With B, they technically only took the best player from two teams since Wade stayed in Miami. I see your point but did losing Bosh really guarantee that Toronto would be bad when they already kind of sucked with him?

with C I disagree that a hard cap alone would create competitive balance. Yes, the NFL has a hard cap but the major difference is NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Hell, they can even take away your signing bonus in some cases. A hard cap will not work very well as long as the contracts are guaranteed b/c teams will still get screwed with next gen Eddie Curry types.
    Going to the Indians-Pirates game. Will respond when I return.

Plus you dont know what will happen this offseason. Power can shift quickly. Just ask the 07-08 Celtics. Teams like the Bulls, Thunder, Knicks, and Hawks( Yes the Hawks) are on the rise and the Spurs and Lakers are looking to get younger. This could possibly be their only year of dominance.