Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default Re: Lakers Next Head Coach? Brian Shaw?

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Curious, what makes you think he wouldn't?
    1) i don't think he's capable (yet) of handling the complex personalities and garnering respect. yes, i know players say they support him, but that's not the same.

2) i dont think he has the experience (yet).

3) i am not convinced he has the patience (yet).

the reason i offer those thoughts is because everyone will expect shaw to bring a title to this team right out of the chute, which is unfair but realistic... thats a lot of pressure on a first year head coach. i don't think he can do it.

do i think he could develop into a great coach? sure, i do... but time is not on his side with the lakers.

Banned

Stop deleting my posts you ****. Like I said Kobe wants Shaw as coach. What Kobe says goes in LA. You guys should hire Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueGreenFan
    Stop deleting my posts you ****. Like I said Kobe wants Shaw as coach. What Kobe says goes in LA. You guys should hire Jeff Van Gundy/Mark Jax.
    If you make digs about Laker players or the Laker organizations, whether they are direct or subtle, the mods will delete your posts. Nobody here wants trolls... you are more than welcome to participate, just cut the crap... and you know what I am talking about.

If you don't like it, please post elsewhere.

How about coach K? Is he good match for the Lakers?

Quote Originally Posted by kobesabi
    How about coach K? Is he good match for the Lakers?
    I thought he emphatically said no to coaching in the NBA? I'd take him!

Yea, I'm not sure Shaw can handle Kobe demand. If we somehow acquire 2 more superstars to forge a Big 3. I'm not sure Shaw is ready for it as his first attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    i just don't know what adelman wants....
    Jeanie Buss's sister.

j/k he wants the ring. Not sure if he can serve the Lakers since he got defeated by the Lakers. Not sure if he is still bitter about it.
    Last edited by kobesabi; 05-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.

People change...their thoughts change over time...maybe he change for us? Lakers has fame, prestige, and glory. I think he might consider if the superstar players are there. ESPN were talking about it today on Max and Marcellus show...maybe if we talked and drum up more about it...he'll answer his response in some form of interview later.

Quote Originally Posted by kobesabi
    People change...their thoughts change over time...maybe he change for us? Lakers has fame, prestige, and glory. I think he might consider if the superstar players are there. ESPN were talking about it today on Max and Marcellus show...maybe if we talked and drum up more about it...he'll answer his response in some form of interview later.
    He has a GREAT thing going at Duke. A lot less stress, and he basically runs that athletic program. I see no reason for him to jump to LA. He gets his dose of NBA players in the olympics anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    He has a GREAT thing going at Duke. A lot less stress, and he basically runs that athletic program. I see no reason for him to jump to LA. He gets his dose of NBA players in the olympics anyways.
    It's just a try...who knows maybe he will...we'll never know until we try :)

1) i don't think he's capable (yet) of handling the complex personalities and garnering respect. yes, i know players say they support him, but that's not the same.

2) i dont think he has the experience (yet).

3) i am not convinced he has the patience (yet).

the reason i offer those thoughts is because everyone will expect shaw to bring a title to this team right out of the chute, which is unfair but realistic... thats a lot of pressure on a first year head coach. i don't think he can do it.

do i think he could develop into a great coach? sure, i do... but time is not on his side with the lakers.

What else is there though? Adelman? I don't like what Adelman would bring unless he completely changed the makeover of the team with a bunch of outside shooters. I don't think we will be able to accommodate the needs of Adelman as a coach.

Any other coaches you have in mind?

What else is there though? Adelman? I don't like what Adelman would bring unless he completely changed the makeover of the team with a bunch of outside shooters. I don't think we will be able to accommodate the needs of Adelman as a coach.

Doc Rivers... he's said his gig with the Celtics is going to be done this year, so perhaps they can coax him to come to the Lakers.. he's strong enough to deal with the personalities and bring the best out of players. Perhaps a pipe dream.

Honestly, Coach K should try the NBA just once. He is getting old.. He doesn't have very long to coach the NBA, even if it is for a 3yr stretch. Remember, he is only a couple years younger than Phil. This is his last, best and perhaps only shot of coaching the NBA.

If I were him, I would do it EVEN if it is for a 3 year stretch with the Lakers. He can always go back after his contract is up with the Lakers in 3 years. Nothing says he has to stick around longer; he can be like Larry Brown. The team is already in place, might do 1 move during the off-season for somebody like Dwight. Rest of the team will be in place with the chemistry.

As for Brian Shaw, no. He is not yet experienced enough to take the head-coach position. He needs a few more years as an assistant-coach before he is fully ready - maybe 2 more years.. He will be a good coach someday, but the time is not now. He seems like the guy that the players would all love because he can connect with the players. Somebody like Phil in mid-60s really cannot connect with guys less than half his age. I can definitely see why the players would want him, but as you said, he is not right for the position yet.
    Last edited by bladefd; 05-10-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Honestly, Coach K should try the NBA just once. He is getting old.. He doesn't have very long to coach the NBA, even if it is for a 3yr stretch. Remember, he is only a couple years younger than Phil. This is his last, best and perhaps only shot of coaching the NBA.

If I were him, I would do it EVEN if it is for a 3 year stretch with the Lakers. He can always go back after his contract is up with the Lakers in 3 years. Nothing says he has to stick around longer; he can be like Larry Brown. The team is already in place, might do 1 move during the off-season for somebody like Dwight. Rest of the team will be in place with the chemistry.
    Make the pitch bro... make the pitch!

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Doc Rivers... he's said his gig with the Celtics is going to be done this year, so perhaps they can coax him to come to the Lakers.. he's strong enough to deal with the personalities and bring the best out of players. Perhaps a pipe dream.

now is what i like

I would love to see him as the Lakers Head coach. He has the personality to do it

Hmm, I remember people were making lists of coaches earlier in the season.. I tried finding the thread but gave up after first 2 pages. There were a bunch of good names being thrown around in that discussion.. Guys like Byron Scott (few people thought he would get fired by Cavs) and Jeff Van Gundy were mentioned. I don't think Jeff Van Gundy can do it, but there were a few other guys that I can't recall right now.

Maybe somebody has it bookmarked or something? I don't feel like looking through 10-15 pages to find one specific thread.