Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can I go over a year between synthetic oil changes?

I went to go get it changed after work today but the line was too long

Will try again tomorrow, thanks for the input

Seems like over a year is pushing it...

if where you live experiences 4 seasons then you should.

Oil changes should be done by total mileage, not based on a timeline. Synthetic oil is good for many more miles than regular oil. Synthetic oil does not break down with heat like conventional oil. The only reason you really need to change it is due to the combustion material that gets past the rings building up in it over time. I recommend either change oil and filter every 7500 miles or change the filter and add a quart at 5000 miles and due a complete (oil & filter) change at 10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    Oil changes should be done by total mileage, not based on a timeline. Synthetic oil is good for many more miles than regular oil. Synthetic oil does not break down with heat like conventional oil. The only reason you really need to change it is due to the combustion material that gets past the rings building up in it over time. I recommend either change oil and filter every 7500 miles or change the filter and add a quart at 5000 miles and due a complete (oil & filter) change at 10,000.
    You SHOULD pay attention to timeline. Oil will oxidize over time. Even if it's just sitting in your car not running. Even with low mileage,

If you're running a full synthetic (not a blend), and you're doing 5,000 miles a year. You should change it at about a year or less. Don't go over if you can.

I know those once a year oil changes claim 25,000 miles, but I don't trust them. But you should pay attention to timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    You SHOULD pay attention to timeline. Oil will oxidize over time. Even if it's just sitting in your car not running. Even with low mileage,

If you're running a full synthetic (not a blend), and you're doing 5,000 miles a year. You should change it at about a year or less. Don't go over if you can.

I know those once a year oil changes claim 25,000 miles, but I don't trust them. But you should pay attention to timeline.
    Mechanic said my oil was very dirty. I had put about 5K miles on it since my last oil change in June 2018. Full synthetic. I'll prob look to get one every 6 months now to be safe.