Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe says European players more skilled than Americans, blames AAU

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Being an assistant coach in AAU, I agree there is some alarming aspects about it, and even feels a bit corrupt. Much more a product or feeder system than it is a teaching tool to actually improve kids. Before I even joined the first thing I told our program leader was I want to bring back to basket skills back. But in this basketball climate it's difficult, and isn't the sexiest thing to teach kids.

We cheat our kid athletes out of aspects of the game because everyone out there is out for themselves. Everyone is trying to be a ball in hand star player.

But American lack of skills? Besides Kobe not including himself, what is he talking about?

LeBron (his court vision, passing alone makes him uniquely elite skilled)
    Durant (Amazing shooter, ball handler @ 6'11)
    CP3 (Possibly the best all around PG ever, both sides of ball)
    Steph Curry (Best shooter of all-time?)
    K. Love (Ridiculously skilled, smaller white, American Gasol)
    Anthony Davis (a do it all PF who can handle the ball)

Some of these guys are of the most skilled of all-time, accompanied with elite bodies or athleticism. That's why Americans are better. Not simply due to athleticism. It's the lethal combination of that inherent genetic lottery with great skills.

Kobe grew up in Italy, as an American, playing a caricature of our entire game because he was raised exclusively on MJ Come Fly w/ Me tapes.

Those tweets are correct, LeBron plays a more well rounded all-around game than Kobe offensively. Besides the lack of comparable post foot work, how is LeBron not every bit as talented if not more than Kobe?

LeBron is the perfect example of aau ball.. The biggest best kid that got to handle it all game and doesn't know how to play a lick off ball and has poor footwork/inconsistent post skills.

I rule the local playground

knew he'd pin it on big men

"they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap
    and they don't know how to post"

as with most things there's pros and cons but at
    the end of most days , , talent kicks skills ass
    9 times out of 10 . . . this game will always
    be about talent and aau is just a place
    for that talent to grow and develop

only when euros come over with extraordinary
    talent atop the skills will this make any sense

until then i'll stick with aau and kids like

anthony davis
    dem cousins
    chris bosh
    etc

interesting comment section:

Most people have a problem with AAU because the coaches are black. The best players of the past 20 years have been AAU superstars. Nobody is complaining about all the Catholic schools these guys play for and make millions for every year. Nobody is complains about the NCAA that makes billions off of their backs just AAU. AAU is fine and the top 1000 players in the world 950 are AAU superstars.

shhhhhhh

Being an assistant coach in AAU, I agree there is some alarming aspects about it, and even feels a bit corrupt. Much more a product or feeder system than it is a teaching tool to actually improve kids. Before I even joined the first thing I told our program leader was I want to bring back to basket skills back. But in this basketball climate it's difficult, and isn't the sexiest thing to teach kids.

We cheat our kid athletes out of aspects of the game because everyone out there is out for themselves. Everyone is trying to be a ball in hand star player.
    Amen

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by aau
    knew he'd pin it on big men

"they bring it up and they do all this fancy crap
    and they don't know how to post"

as with most things there's pros and cons but at
    the end of most days , , talent kicks skills ass
    9 times out of 10 . . . this game will always
    be about talent and aau is just a place
    for that talent to grow and develop

only when euros come over with extraordinary
    talent atop the skills will this make any sense

until then i'll stick with aau and kids like

anthony davis
    dem cousins
    chris bosh
    etc

interesting comment section:

Most people have a problem with AAU because the coaches are black. The best players of the past 20 years have been AAU superstars. Nobody is complaining about all the Catholic schools these guys play for and make millions for every year. Nobody is complains about the NCAA that makes billions off of their backs just AAU. AAU is fine and the top 1000 players in the world 950 are AAU superstars.

Kobe is completely wrong here.

EVERY team in Europe, Asia, South America import a black American to be their main post player.

Why would they take guys from an inferior talent pool to patrol the paint and score inside for them?

Failbe
    Dumbbe
    Bitterbe
    Notarealbrothabe

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

EVERY team in Europe, Asia, South America import a black American to be their main post player.

Why would they take guys from an inferior talent pool to patrol the paint and score inside for them?

Failbe
    Dumbbe
    Bitterbe
    Notarealbrothabe

trust if kobe had a son he'd be playing aau ball
    and the youtubes would be numerous

lil chucky , , ballhog junior , , lil bean shooter

funny thing is they crack on aau but all we ever see
    is the finished product . . . . we didn't see the long
    gangly uncoordinated kid that came into the gym
    couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time

hours days months and years of training and traveling
    with kids - no charge in most cases cause it's mostly
    low income families - the kid turns up and becomes
    a player . . . everybody and they momma gets
    praise - youth coaches n trainers catch shit

idiots can bite

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo

Failbe
    Dumbbe
    Bitterbe
    Notarealbrothabe

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

LeBron (his court vision, passing alone makes him uniquely elite skilled)
    court vision... lol... anyone can have court vision if they dribble the ball 12 times first and survey the floor for half the shot clock.

truthfully, now that lebron isn't the super-quick player he once was, it is suboptimal for a forward to impinge on the duties of the guards by dominating the ball as much as he does - his level of overall domination no longer justifies him creating a suboptimal environment where guards must be relegated to lesser roles... he's better off on the block at this point in his career, especially with love floor-spreading.

and since lebron dominates the ball more than a lot of point guards and more than any other wing, his assist numbers aren't impressive... they are barely above average for such a massive ball-dominator... guys like chris paul, steve nash, magic johnson and others are GREAT passing ball-dominators... lebron is not.

how is LeBron not every bit as talented if not more than Kobe
    well, he can't slide between defenders like kobe and his drives are much more predictable because he needs a larger, more straight-away lane to drive... he can't just drive at any moment he chooses and he can't change direction an unlimited number of times like kobe... he has to wait for an opening more and use more screens to get in the lane than kobe - these things make him more exploitable than kobe and his game less adjustable than kobe.

also, there is the issue of scoring versatility and elite skill in various offensive categories - when it comes to scoring, lebron is good at a lot of things, but great at nothing... otoh, kobe was great at a lot of aspects of scoring... for example, lebron can't get 40 playing strictly off-ball like kobe.. lebron can't get 40 shooting all mid-range jumpshots like kobe.
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-04-2015 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aau

talent kicks skills ass
    is that why the pistons beat the lakers in the 80's?

is that why the bulls beat the blazers, suns, and sonics?

is that why detroit beat LA in 2004?

is that why the spurs beat the heat?

is that why dallas beat the heat?

9 times out of 10 . . .
    except when the talent is close (which is most of the time in championship games), then the superior skills win 10 out of 10 times...

talent really only kicks skills ass when you are talking about one level versus a lower level, like a college team vs a high school team... or maybe the best teams in the nba vs the worst...

I think the "lack of skill" argument about today's NBA players is blown completely out of proportion. The skills haven't diminished, they've changed..and they're not unskilled compared to international players, they're just less reliant on skills..doesn't mean it's not there. There are less traditional bigs with complete back to the basket games..and that has something to do with teaching, and some to do with the league's style of play evolving and changing..but it's not like today's NBA era is filled with a bunch of unskilled scrubs that are just athletic freaks or something.. This whole argument to me is the era discussion equivalent of saying Wade isn't skilled because he doesn't have great range on his jumper. It's just way too narrow a view.

Physical/natural talent can only get you so far in this league. No matter how physically gifted you are, you need to have discernible skill at what you do. Even the freaks like Lebron, Westbrook, Davis, Blake, healthy Rose, etc have clear skill and finesse to their game, whether they apply it regularly or not...be it Lebron's passing ability, Davis and Blake's jumpshot and handles for their size/position, Rose's touch and variety of moves around the rim, Westbrook's ability to stop on a dime and knock down FT line jumpers..and those are the freak athletes who can get by purely on talent if they wanted to..you look at the other stars of the league not gifted with the same physical tools, and the skill level is insane. Curry, KD, CP3, Aldridge, Love, Irving, Harden (as much as I hate him), Cousins, Lillard, Melo, healthy PG, Bosh, etc..these guys are as skilled as they come, whether they perform or not, whether you like them or not.
    Last edited by Milbuck; 01-04-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Did Kobe really fall into the trap?

We have three Europeans.

Our smartest two players are American and South American.

Our two best players are both American.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

I think the "lack of skill" argument about today's NBA players is blown completely out of proportion. The skills haven't diminished, they've changed..and they're not unskilled compared to international players, they're just less reliant on skills..doesn't mean it's not there.
    3-and-D basketball not only sounds like a joke, but it is a joke compared to what kobe is talking about.

i'll never understand the fascination with open shots and one 3-pointer after another - it's just play-finishing, but somehow people like it more than players having to TAKE each other and score ON each other.

btw, i assume that when you say "they are just less reliant on skills", i assume you mean because the spacing generates open shots, so they don't have to use their skills... this is not a good thing.

Lebron's passing ability, Davis and Blake's jumpshot and handles for their size/position, Rose's touch and variety of moves around the rim, Westbrook's ability to stop on a dime and knock down FT line jumpers..

Curry, KD, CP3, Aldridge, Love, Irving, Harden (as much as I hate him), Cousins, Lillard, Melo, healthy PG, Bosh, etc..these guys are as skilled as they come, whether they perform or not, whether you like them or not.
    the skills you mention here that some of today's star players possess, were STANDARD in previous eras for even middling players - i.e. you cite westbrook's pull-up, mid-range jumpshot... seriously, that is impressive to you?... do you know how standard that was back when they ONLY shot two's?... why do you think the pace was so fast back then?... no need to set up spacing, just do a russell westbrook pull-up every time.

also, other than the very unique KD, every player you mentioned has SEVERAL guys from the 90's that were better:... davis < robinson, hakeem.... blake < malone, barkely ... aldridge < kemp, webber.... cousins < shaq, ewing, alonzo, most good C's or PF's in previous eras.... melo < scottie... lebron < Jordan... bosh < derrick coleman... harden < drexler... westbrook < Payton and Penny... PG < grant hill... got any more for the 90's to crush?
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-04-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    is that why the pistons beat the lakers in the 80's?

is that why the bulls beat the blazers, suns, and sonics?

is that why detroit beat LA in 2004?

is that why the spurs beat the heat?

is that why dallas beat the heat?

except when the talent is close (which is most of the time in championship games), then the superior skills win 10 out of 10 times...

talent really only kicks skills ass when you are talking about one level versus a lower level, like a college team vs a high school team... or maybe the best teams in the nba vs the worst...

hahaha

we talking individual talent and skills as a youth
    you bring up professional team competition

miss me dude

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

also, other than the very unique KD, every player you mentioned has SEVERAL guys from the 90's that were similar player types and better:... davis < robinson, hakeem.... blake < malone, barkely ... aldridge < kemp, webber.... cousins < shaq, ewing, alonzo, most good C's or PF's in previous eras.... melo < scottie... lebron < jordan... bosh < derrick coleman... harden < drexler... westbrook < Payton and Penny... PG < grant hill... got any more for the 90's to crush?
    I should mention that all these players are from one season, 1996.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    Somebody tell Kobe that Manu is from Argentina.

are you trolling or just stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    LeBron is the perfect example of aau ball.. The biggest best kid that got to handle it all game and doesn't know how to play a lick off ball and has poor footwork/inconsistent post skills.
    This.

LeBron has the same "skills" he's had since he was 8. Plays the same damn way.