Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.o.b.b.

Default Re: D.o.b.b.

suns 03'

saw amar'e playing, fell in love with his dunks. i stayed hypnotized on amar'e for a few years then i found basketball had another side to it. now i observe and analyze basketball with a much better perception and it's players.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

some time in '87 after seeing magic johnson play. dad went to college in socal so that was his team and i decided to catch a few games to see what this 'magic' guy was all about. been hooked since and have followed la along with the grizzlies (hometown team but i liked them more in memphis after getting gasol - getting traded to la was the perfect scenario)

I just really liked watch Cliff Robinson and Kenny Anderson shoot 3's. I started watching the Blazers around that time. I remember Blazers playing the Pistons as one of the games I first remember watching. Then I remember going to a Pizza place and watching Jordan play. He never missed a fade away jump shot.

I don't know the exact moment, but just small little memories, I got hooked.

College superstar

'93-'94 season, Jordan's first year of "retirement"...

I'd get home from church and turn on the TV, and the Bulls were always on.

Pippen was the leader of the team (still my favorite athlete of all time), but I just became obsessed with the entire NBA. At one point I could name all 5 starters for every team, along with their listed heights, weights, and jersey numbers. This was pre-internet (for me) so I'd spend hours poring over the boxscores in the newspapers in the library at my Middle School.

I almost cried during a regular season game when Starks and the Knicks beat the Bulls by 32... don't remember anything else, other than Starks hitting a 3 from the corner and my eyes tearing up...

But anyway, been an avid fan ever since that season, still a Bulls fan. When Pippen switched teams I had an interest in the team, but the Bulls were always the one I was loyal to.

i became a casual fan was because my dad and my uncle used to watch MJ. I began to see full games around 94.

I became a kobe/laker fan around 97 when a N64 game named kobe bryant in nba court side was released. I started to watch all televised nba games.

In 2006 i acquired an FTA (free to air) an began to see almost ALL laker games.

National High School Star

I'm too tired to look up the actual ticket from my first game, so I'll estimate the actual date. It was probably 87-88 season. It was March or April, since my old man, who taught at a college at the time, was on the spring break. He rented an RV, put the family in it and we went travelling south(Alberta representin') through Montana, Colorado, Utah, whatnot.

At some point, we stopped in SLC and the three of us went to a Utah Jazz game. I have very few memories of it since I wouldn't have even been five yet. No idea what happened, I probably spent most of the game ignoring the actual action and being chased around the stand by my mum. My parents bought me a Jazz baseball cap and we picked up a basketball magazine with a poster(well, really just a big picture I tore out) of the Mailman. Haven't wavered in my loyalty since. Been to dozens of games, especially during my college days when I had money and time to blow on roadtrips.

Not airballing my layups anymore PimpinZaZa's Avatar

Don't remember exactly when but early 90's sometime. Remember sittin' watchin a game with my dad and Walt Williams went off for something like 36, 14 & 9. He was one of my faves after that. Gotta love the High socks. ahhh.....good times.

Local High School Star

I first got into basketball when I was like 7 or 8 in the early 90s. I didn't really have a favorite team, just mesmerized by Michael Jordan. I guess you could say I was a Jordan fan. After MJ retired I kinda lost interest in basketball.

My family has been through generation after generation at UCLA. We've got our own brick on the wall with our name on it at the Alumni Center. Watching the NCAA tournament is like religion for them. I kinda got back into basketball while watching the UCLA basketball team in March Madness. This was around 2001. After the NCAA season was over though, I found myself wanting more basketball. I felt that love for the game again that I had as a kid. Since the NBA season was still on, I kinda decided to follow that. I had no favorite team or player at the time, just that I love basketball. Right before the playoffs started that year, I wanted a team to root for. It was kinda random but I picked the Raptors. I kinda liked the way the team was going and I liked dinosaurs as a kid. I guess you could have classified me as a "bandwagoner" back then haha Well I've been an avid Raptor fan since then. No I wasn't a fan during the real sh*t days pre-2000, but I've seen some pretty bad. I've stuck by this team for 8-9 years now and had to put up with a lot of flak from other fans, but it's cool.

Always liked basketball.My team is the Wizards because i can see all of there games with no package needed,and because i love the team

Right now Gilbert arenas is my favorit player so I can only hope he stays injury free.His story is one of the best and he's got a cool nick name.

AGENT ZERO

National High School Star

First bit of ball went like this....

Its late one night and Im sitting in the living room playing with my toys.. probably GI Joes or those small wrestler toys... anyways my Dad just got off work, rushes in, flips on the tube and its Jordan vs Lakers 1991 Finals Game 1.. Jordan's game winner rims out... I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Eventually became a Spurs homer and Kobe fan.

Local High School Star BALLin01's Avatar

I became a basketball fan in 2001 during the NBA finals between the 76ers and the Lakers. I was about 7 or 8 and my brothers and dad were watching it and they were huge Laker fans, and I coulda just followed them like any other kid would but watching AI with his amazing crossovers and hitting those great shots really made me become a fan of him and have been a fan ever since and I will stay dedicated to being a fan forever no matter how much hate he gets.

I really have no favorite team, I just follow wherever Allen Iverson goes and I've moved many times so I really had no chance to follow a certain team.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

I didn't follow pro ball until I was teenager in the mid/late 70s.
    Then moved to LA...and shortly thereafter they drafted Magic.
    fan forever more...
    so...around '78

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    I didn't follow pro ball until I was teenager in the mid/late 70s.
    Then moved to LA...and shortly thereafter they drafted Magic.
    fan forever more...
    so...around '78
    Didnt know you were that old. That's cool though. I am glad that I finally made a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BALLin01
    I became a basketball fan in 2001 during the NBA finals between the 76ers and the Lakers. I was about 7 or 8 and my brothers and dad were watching it and they were huge Laker fans, and I coulda just followed them like any other kid would but watching AI with his amazing crossovers and hitting those great shots really made me become a fan of him and have been a fan ever since and I will stay dedicated to being a fan forever no matter how much hate he gets.

I really have no favorite team, I just follow wherever Allen Iverson goes and I've moved many times so I really had no chance to follow a certain team.
    Your an AI fan too? As you can tell, I am too. I liked him because he was always at a disadvantage, the ultimate underdog. He had to play at 100% and he did that through injury. Always real, never fake. Didnt try to be someone he is not. One of the most unique players ever. A six foot SG. Who knew?

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Didnt know you were that old. That's cool though. I am glad that I finally made a good thread.
    I'm cantankerous too!! (as you can tell from my posts).
    Now I live in Phoenix, phoenix18.... amongst the hordes of Suns fans and Kobe haters.