Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default sprinting down the open court, are you allowed 2 full steps between each dribble?

So the ball leaves your hand, while running you fit two complete strides before the ball comes back to your hand, is this allowed in the rules?

Default Re: sprinting down the open court, are you allowed 2 full steps between each dribble?

I would imagine a player would have to be really fast but it should be legal. As long as you're in the act of dribbling you can take as many steps as you possibly can.

Default Re: sprinting down the open court, are you allowed 2 full steps between each dribble?

nowhere in the book says it isn't

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    So the ball leaves your hand, while running you fit two complete strides before the ball comes back to your hand, is this allowed in the rules?

Yes its legal. Think of how many travels would be called during a simple stutter step move.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    ....yyyyyeeeeah i would say so

I would say so, he took 3 steps before he started dribbling.

NBA Superstar

I have never heard of a limit to the number of steps one can take between dribbles. When playing, it has never, ever, ever crossed my mind. I feel like there absolutely has to have been times where I (and every other basketball player) has taken more than two steps in-between dribbles. Speed dribbles come to mind, for one (where a player breaks into the open floor and pushes the ball well ahead of themselves). As far as I've ever known, as long as the hand is making legal contact during the actual push, and the dribble is not picked up, the number of steps taken in between dribbles is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I have never heard of a limit to the number of steps one can take between dribbles. When playing, it has never, ever, ever crossed my mind. I feel like there absolutely has to have been times where I (and every other basketball player) has taken more than two steps in-between dribbles. Speed dribbles come to mind, for one (where a player breaks into the open floor and pushes the ball well ahead of themselves). As far as I've ever known, as long as the hand is making legal contact during the actual push, and the dribble is not picked up, the number of steps taken in between dribbles is irrelevant.
    This is correct. You can take 20 chop steps and it legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    I would imagine a player would have to be really fast but it should be legal. As long as you're in the act of dribbling you can take as many steps as you possibly can.
    You don't really need to be fast, just be able to have a fast stride rate. (Strides per min)x(length per stride) = distance covered per minute. Length per stride is proportional to height. For example, it would be much easier for Nate Robinson to stride twice in between dribbles than for KD.

I think as long as the ball isn't in your hand it doesn't matter. The bigger question is why actual travels aren't called. That Carmelo play is the kind of thing you see all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    I think as long as the ball isn't in your hand it doesn't matter. The bigger question is why actual travels aren't called. That Carmelo play is the kind of thing you see all the time.
    They rarely call travel on transition dunks even when the players travel most of the time. It doesn't really matter in the context of the game since they don't target specific players, so it's fair (shit) rules for everyone.

It's allowed in the NBA.......

Banned

What a travel, WOW, shame and refs don't see it, how?

Back to Business

a travel is when u move WITHOUT dribbling the ball first. if the ball is bouncing u good.

if not every hesitation crossover would be a travel