Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amare to Sixers=bad idea unless..

Stephen A. mentioned this the other day at First Take. Yes, we get it, the Knicks are dumping salary to sign whoever, like Lin beings absorbed by Philly so Houston can sign Bosh, but Houston may send a 1st round pick to Philly for this "favor".

In the case of Stat, what will Philly get out of this ? We have to be careful helping a division rival. Don't we?

Default Re: Amare to Sixers=bad idea unless..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    In the case of Stat, what will Philly get out of this ?
    You get Amar'e Stoudemire for a year. Isn't your prized big man Embiid injured?

Oh, I forgot. 76ers plan is to be talentless and tank for the next 5-7 years...my bad.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Stephen A. mentioned this the other day at First Take. Yes, we get it, the Knicks are dumping salary to sign whoever, like Lin beings absorbed by Philly so Houston can sign Bosh, but Houston may send a 1st round pick to Philly for this "favor".

In the case of Stat, what will Philly get out of this ? We have to be careful helping a division rival. Don't we?
    That'll never happen because the Knicks have no assets to trade along with the contract. If you watch Hinkies interviews or read about him you'll know to ignore stories like this because Hinkie does nothing for free. That dude got their first round pick back from Orlando and a second round pick just to move back two slots. Just like any story linking the Sixers to any free agent. Hinkie will not spend any money on any free agents in a multi year deal especially not a 6 or 8 million or whatever Bradley got. I mostly ignore and story about the Sixers because Hinkie is tight lipped. If there's a deal out there that makes you ask " what do the Sixers get?", you know that that deal is never gonna happen.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

Oh, I forgot. 76ers plan is to be talentless and tank for the next 5-7 years...my bad.
    Your jokes aside, the market is different now and teams looking to move expiring contracts have to sweeten the deal with picks for teams with cap space to absorb their shitty contracts. It's a buyer's market now and expiring contracts are burdens not assets. Certainly for a player like Amare who used to be good but has obviously declined. With Lin as well that's why any of the talks surrounding Lin have had Houston giving up a first round pick in order for a team to absorb his contract. Nash is in the same spot. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sixers got either of them in order to get future picks. I'm sure they'll be under the salary floor this year or near it which is really no big deal considering that the "penalty" is just making up the difference between the salary of the team and what the floor is. So you're only paying what you'd have to pay in the first place if you were at the floor.

Saw a basketball once

I guess it depends on how bad the Knicks are, but 20m for a first round pick seems really expensive. I know management is rich (and I am not sure where they are in relation to the minimum), but I would think they would ask for more to take back that salary given that they are likely to be last in the division again.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    That'll never happen because the Knicks have no assets to trade along with the contract. If you watch Hinkies interviews or read about him you'll know to ignore stories like this because Hinkie does nothing for free. That dude got their first round pick back from Orlando and a second round pick just to move back two slots. Just like any story linking the Sixers to any free agent. Hinkie will not spend any money on any free agents in a multi year deal especially not a 6 or 8 million or whatever Bradley got. I mostly ignore and story about the Sixers because Hinkie is tight lipped. If there's a deal out there that makes you ask " what do the Sixers get?", you know that that deal is never gonna happen.
    Yeah, let's stay away from the zen stuff from P.Jackson. I would hate to be hoodwinked by the Knicks.

The other thing is if we're unlucky, Stat may have a good year health wise, and with Noel and MCW take us to the freaking playoffs in a bad East. Then, ofcourse, the Celts get our 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Your jokes aside, the market is different now and teams looking to move expiring contracts have to sweeten the deal with picks for teams with cap space to absorb their shitty contracts. It's a buyer's market now and expiring contracts are burdens not assets. Certainly for a player like Amare who used to be good but has obviously declined. With Lin as well that's why any of the talks surrounding Lin have had Houston giving up a first round pick in order for a team to absorb his contract. Nash is in the same spot. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sixers got either of them in order to get future picks. I'm sure they'll be under the salary floor this year or near it which is really no big deal considering that the "penalty" is just making up the difference between the salary of the team and what the floor is. So you're only paying what you'd have to pay in the first place if you were at the floor.
    OK the Sixers can just be a worthless franchise for another year. Have fun with that....maybe all those draft picks will make you relevant someday....

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I earlier proposed Amare, Shumpert, Larkin, and pick for Thadeus Young.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 07-08-2014 at 12:03 PM.

College superstar

As long as the team receiving Amare has salary space (off the top of my head.... Utah, Philly, Lakers, Charlotte, Boston) or a bad contract to send back to Knicks (Bucks with Sanders, Detroit sort of with Josh Smith, Boston with Wallace), then Amare + Hardaway JR + Shumpert should be enough incentive to absorb Amare's bad contract.

I'd be up for an Amare trade if we received Hardaway Jr.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    As long as the team receiving Amare has salary space (off the top of my head.... Utah, Philly, Lakers, Charlotte, Boston) or a bad contract to send back to Knicks (Bucks with Sanders, Detroit sort of with Josh Smith, Boston with Wallace), then Amare + Hardaway JR + Shumpert should be enough incentive to absorb Amare's bad contract.

It would have to be a STAT, a #1, Hardaway and Shump for Thad.

Hinkie would be more than happy to take dead space, would probably even release Stat, but need to get PAID to take on that kind of salary.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    It would have to be a STAT, a #1, Hardaway and Shump for Thad.

Hinkie would be more than happy to take dead space, would probably even release Stat, but need to get PAID to take on that kind of salary.
    Knicks don't (realistically) have a #1 to trade. Pretty sure they can't trade any of them through 2018 or so? I don't follow them closely so not entirely sure on the details, but Bargs cost them two.. presumably 2014 and 2016. Which means they could trade 2018. But.... that's not realistic. Salary will be off the books before then, so not worth it.

On a tangent, I would love to see a team trade a 2215 first round pick. Would be epically hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

Talentless? RoY MCW, super athletic big man Nerlens and the real top pick of 2013 Draft is ready, the real 2014 top pick Embiid will be ready in less than a year, Saric in 2 years, and a bunch of cap space.

The Sixers' future, both because of young players and position, looks as good as almost any team in the NBA.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The going rate to take on that type of Dead Money last year I believe was two firsts. Isn't that what Utah got for taking on the Andres Bedrins and Richard Jefferson deals? And that's pretty close to what your asking someone to do for taking on Stat. It's not quite as bad because it's not eating two roster spots. But you'd still possibly be looking at Stat, a first, and a young asset, Larkin or Shump or Hardaway.

Somebody on here mentioned The Bucks as a possibility, and I haven't looked into it much, but just quickly it made some sense. I'm not sure what their cap situation looks like though.

Russel Wilson = GOAT Johnny Jones's Avatar

Carl2680 (broke Kidd story) is saying that the Knciks are close to trading Stat and that ''I think I have to buy a Knicks Jersey with number 16.''

http://theknickswall.com/2014/07/08/...0-sees-future/