Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Default Re: Which of the following players would you put in the top 25 all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    lol @ Wade not being one of the 25 best players ever.
    It's only debatable because of his brittle physique. Dudes basically washed up at 32.

Default Re: Which of the following players would you put in the top 25 all time?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Just bold or say the ones that you would

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry

Dr. J
    Hayes
    Schayes
    Payton
    Stockton
    Cousy

Reed
    Wade
    Kidd
    Mikan
    Robinson
    There we go.

Banned

problem with wade is that he only really had 6 great years (2005,2006 2009,2010,2011) 2012 is arguable

Garnett, Barkley, Malone, Dirk all are pushing 16+ years with at least 10 great years

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

LOL @ Pippen being in top 25

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry
    Dr. J
    Hayes
    Schayes
    Payton
    Stockton

Cousy
    Reed
    Wade
    Kidd
    Mikan
    Robinson

The four in bold are the only ones I don't consider in the running for a top 25 spot. Of those four, Hayes is the only one I wouldn't put in the top 40 most times.

Votes for each thus far

Isiah- 8
    Pippen- 8
    Havlicek- 7
    Barry- 4
    Dr. J- 7
    Hayes- No love
    Schayes- 1
    Payton- 1
    Stockton- 6
    Cousy- 3
    Reed- 1
    Wade- 5
    Kidd- 1
    Mikan- 5
    Robinson- 5
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 07-08-2014 at 05:34 AM.

NBA All-star

I would like to think that eventually players from different eras may distribute close to evenly amongst the top greats. (including eras where players overlap)

this might be the only way to get past the ring achievments outside of the top 10 and give room for individual greatness/superiority.

in the end, no matter how many rings the Bulls won, there's really only going to be 2 in the top 25, and maybe 3 in the top 40-50. and if Pippen isn't top 25, there's certainly going to be other players from that era where the Bulls dominated which belongs there.

Edit: how much is a dynasty worth?

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Dr. J has got to be in my top 25. In the 1980 Finals, he was a virtual Batman with no Robin to help him out (kind of like AI in the 2000/01 Finals in that respect).

When they needed to score, they would literally give him the ball on one side of the court, and the other four would clear out and let him . . . . . 'operate'. Over and over. And his open court game was of course, revolutionary and breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    lol @ Wade not being one of the 25 best players ever.
    But his peak was better then Kobes according to Heat fans

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

The fact that some of you don't believe D Wade is top 25 of all time shows how little you know about basketball...

College superstar

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry
    Dr. J

Hayes
    Schayes
    Payton
    Stockton
    Cousy
    Reed
    Wade
    Kidd
    Mikan
    Robinson
    Assuming Robinson is David Robinson, he is close, but I'm not entirely sure on top 25 (or, in my ranking system, third or fourth tier).

Been pretty open, for a while now, about older greats not being included in my rankings... Mikan, Hayes, Schayes would all make the fourth through sixth tier without question... but there would be a disclaimer of sorts... basically saying I'm too lazy to do the necessary research to rank them appropriately, but that I knew they would be where I slotted them AT WORST.
    Same way I rank Pettit... I put him in the third tier, just because I know that's where he should go at worst.

Why is DR.J in that list, who wouldn't have him as top 25 ??

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    The fact that some of you don't believe D Wade is top 25 of all time shows how little you know about basketball...

His resume lacks longevity at this point. Prime Wade was good--but that did not last long and he missed a lot of games during that period as well. If Wade can string together a few more all-star seasons he is top 25. Look at that list. He is being compared to people who had full careers. In order to put Wade above that group you would have to believe Wade was a vastly superior player to them in his prime and he was not (Wade has two all-NBA first teams and his best MVP finishes are 3rd and 5th. People overrate his resume and prime dominance. He is closer to Drexler than he is to Kobe and West). Other than Dr. J, all these players are top 15-35 types. Currently I have Wade top 30 and unless he completely breaks down, which sadly looks possible, he will finish in the top 25.

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry
    Dr. J
    Stockton
    Cousy
    Mikan
    Robinson

All these players are currently ahead of Wade and then you have the universal top 11, the group of players who usually are just outside the top 15 (West, Baylor, Moses Malone, Robertson) who bring us to 24 players ahead of Wade, plus there are some players who have not been mentioned but are clearly ahead of Wade right now (i.e. Karl Malone, Barkley) and some other players, including some on that original list, have cases over Wade circa 2014 as well.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-08-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Local High School Star

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry
    Dr. J
    Hayes
    Schayes
    Payton
    Stockton
    Cousy
    Reed
    Wade
    Kidd
    Mikan
    Robinson

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    His resume lacks longevity at this point. Prime Wade was good--but that did not last long and he missed a lot of games during that period as well. If Wade can string together a few more all-star seasons he is top 25. Look at that list. He is being compared to people who had full careers. In order to put Wade above that group you would have to believe Wade was a vastly superior player to them in his prime and he was not (Wade has two all-NBA first teams and his best MVP finishes are 3rd and 5th. People overrate his resume and prime dominance. He is closer to Drexler than he is to Kobe and West). Other than Dr. J, all these players are top 15-35 types. Currently I have Wade top 30 and unless he completely breaks down, which sadly looks possible, he will finish in the top 25.

Isiah
    Pippen
    Havlicek
    Barry
    Dr. J
    Stockton
    Cousy
    Mikan
    Robinson

All these players are currently ahead of Wade and then you have the universal top 11, the group of players who usually are just outside the top 15 (West, Baylor, Moses Malone, Robertson) who bring us to 24 players ahead of Wade, plus there are some players who have not been mentioned but are clearly ahead of Wade right now (i.e. Karl Malone, Barkley) and some other players, including some on that original list, have cases over Wade circa 2014 as well.
    Isiah is not on top of Wade. Wade playing this upcoming year will match Isiah's total stats already and it's not like Isiah has more all team selections or better accolades all around.

Scottie Pippen? Wade is right there with him in point totals playing like 6 less seasons. You're comparing a 7x all-star to a 10x.

Havlicek?....

Can't even rank Mikan properly with a short career and playing in the pre-shot-clock era barely shooting over 40%.

You do realize Wade is 8th in PER all time above players like Kareem, Magic, Duncan, Hakeem, etc?

Wade is top 25 and inching his way into the top 20.