Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Could Isiah Thomas be the most underrated player in NBA history.

Stockton was not an "Eraser" level defender, and thus was not elite. All NBA Defensive Teams have long been a joke. John was a quality defender, but had no business on any All Defensive team considering how much he got torched. John was consistently good, but he was not in the class of Zeke.

I know one thing...Head up Isiah Thomas used to eat Stockton's breakfast, lunch, and dinner

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    I know one thing...Head up Isiah Thomas used to eat Stockton's breakfast, lunch, and dinner
    Uh...no he didn't. Take away Stockton's rookie year and there averages were

Stockton: 15.3 ppg 12.4 apg 2.9 rpg 2.3 TO/G 45/40/83 60.6 TS%

Thomas: 21.1 ppg 6.9 apg 3.3 rpg 3.5 TO/G 59.1 TS%

Thomas just took more shots..Stockton outplayed him easily and the Jazz were 8-6 vs the Pistons

Unless you're going to ignore assists by a starting PG, Stockton outplayed Thomas in every game but 2

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by YouCallILose

Thomas just took more shots..Stockton outplayed him easily and the Jazz were 8-6 vs the Pistons

Unless you're going to ignore assists by a starting PG, Stockton outplayed Thomas in every game but 2
    Anyone that ever saw the 2 play would differ from you. not sure where you got these numbers but !!!!!! THe Pistons were a team first team almost like the latter Piston or Knicks of the 70's. BUt in the Big game when needed most was when Thomas took over. Something Stockton failed to do which shows in his lack of ever winning a Ring. So use your little numbers of there h2h in the reg season. Sad thing is that it really isnt even close between Thomas and Stockton. Thomas was a Batman on 2 championship teams and Stockton was a Robin on a team that never won a championship.

Hellbound

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard
    Wilt scored 100 points in a game. If you don't think he ever scored 24 in a quarter, I'd like to see your math.
    I think that meant as far as the Finals.

I don't need stats. I watched it. Stockton did that cute little pick and pick and pop where Malone came free and did all the work hitting hit open jumper after open jumper Isiah was on the other end one on one busting Stockton.

Serious playground baller Monkey D Dragon's Avatar

On Ish Yes cause no one ever talks about this man besides him Fucccking up as a GM

Not airballing my layups anymore FormerSunsFan's Avatar

he was a force and he won without a dominant big man. i rarely see him given credit for this unlike other stars.

he was the man and the reason i started watching basketball.

Thats respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    I don't need stats. I watched it. Stockton did that cute little pick and pick and pop where Malone came free and did all the work hitting hit open jumper after open jumper Isiah was on the other end one on one busting Stockton.
    I think Stockton was better than you give him credit. I think he was good at pretending like he was playing smart but really pissing you off. He'd make a PG want to go at him.. which is the worst way to disrupt a team. And thats really good defense unless he is totally destroying you and winning the game.

If you look at the numbers, you can tell that Stock accounted for more points. A lot more, and on better percentages.

I am not hating on Isiah, but I still like Stock as my all-time PG. Being a good PG is knowing what position guys want the ball and getting them the ball. Also, reading on their face when they don't want the ball. It's not about assists per game.

I dunno if I'm ready to put Isiah in that elite PG level. He's not D Rose, as said, but Stock is a prototypical PG and I bet he could play in any system with any player. He just couldn't be the star, but most of the time you don't want your PG to be the star.

Edit: So, I'd say Stock was by far the better PG, but Isiah was a bit better of a player. And yes it's different.

-Smak

Form a ****ing wall DetroitPiston's Avatar

Thomas is not underrated. Being in the Hall of Fame says it all really.

As for the debate about him and Stockton, I'll take Thomas (Username and support aside.) Thomas wanted to win at all costs and he wasn't going to let anyone or anything stop him no matter what. Scoring 25 points in a quarter on a sprained ankle is a testament to that.

Great college starter

So let me get this straight

Stockton put up better stats and won more games, but Isiah outplayed him?

Yeah i believe Isiah Thomas is the most underrated player of all time.

Form a ****ing wall DetroitPiston's Avatar

So let me get this straight

Stockton put up better stats and won more games, but Isiah outplayed him?
    There's a saying that stats are like miniskirts, they show off the good stuff but hide the crucial part.

It helps Stockton's case that he won more games because he played until 2003. Thomas played until 1994. A huge difference between the two and can easily skewer it in Stockton's favor.

What made Stockton good was the he was consistently above average to very good. What made Isiah great was that he could up his game to be very great.

Again, stats don't tell the whole story.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPiston
    There's a saying that stats are like miniskirts, they show off the good stuff but hide the crucial part.

It helps Stockton's case that he won more games because he played until 2003. Thomas played until 1994. A huge difference between the two and can easily skewer it in Stockton's favor.

What made Stockton good was the he was consistently above average to very good. What made Isiah great was that he could up his game to be very great.

Again, stats don't tell the whole story.
    No..I was talking about head to head games between the 2 players

Stockton put up better numbers head to head and won more games vs Isiah's Pistons