Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Some advice for basketball players

Well you have good size and hopefully have some more growing to do. You could end up being 6'4... or you could end up being 6'1.5... who knows. Do you know how tall you are supposed to be.

Yea you probably have been able to rely on your athleticism thus farm but generally that's a good thing... it gets you aggressive and attacking the basket from early age. It sounds like you are well on your way to good things so if you can develop a solid jumper and 3 ball... seems like the sky is the limit.

Learning to shoot layups

well my Dad is around 6-8" or 6'9'

Oldest Brother is 6'3"
    Next Brother is 6'8"
    Other Brother is 6'5(just graduated)

So I imagine a should have some size but not sure exactly how much

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Good shooting workout today, got lots of shots from behind the arc up. Starting to get used to shooting 3s, as well as mid range pull ups after stopping on a dime. Goal is to be an Aaron Brooks type player with a passing game.

Side note: tomorrow is my last bulking workout, then I'm going to cut off the fat and hopefully drop to around 135-140 when finished (I'm around 147 now).

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Good shooting workout today, got lots of shots from behind the arc up. Starting to get used to shooting 3s, as well as mid range pull ups after stopping on a dime. Goal is to be an Aaron Brooks type player with a passing game.

Side note: tomorrow is my last bulking workout, then I'm going to cut off the fat and hopefully drop to around 135-140 when finished (I'm around 147 now).
    Good stuff man I just lifted biceps and back and shot around a little, nothing serious, I did legs yesterday and wanted to give them a chance to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by dagreatesteva25
    well my Dad is around 6-8" or 6'9'

Oldest Brother is 6'3"
    Next Brother is 6'8"
    Other Brother is 6'5(just graduated)

So I imagine a should have some size but not sure exactly how much
    Well if there is a pattern here... you should be 6'10 Lucky you, you should be at least 6'3, and if you have good length and athleticism, that is tall enough for sure.

Serious playground baller Deadpool's Avatar

Ok well I'm 17 and about 6'0". I never really played basketball for any team I usually just play for the fun of it. I realized that even without committing myself so much I'm better than most people who actually play for their High School or College teams. I first started playing basketball when I was 12 and ever since I just did the usual pick up games at park or just shooting around with friends or playing HORSE, 21 and all the other fun games. It really hit me this year how good I am though. I mean I play with guys who have been playing organized basketball for years and they practice as much as they can and for me it just comes easy. I have really long arms and I'm pretty much able to get my shot off from anywhere against anyone. I can be a lock-down hard nosed defender Artest style.

I was actually thinking about trying to get into organized basketball maybe join my team in HS and then hopefully play in college, but one thing that worries me is that I don't think I'm gonna grow that much, most of my friends are either catching up to me or they are already taller than me. If I ever wanted to make it pro I don't think I could as a 6'0" white male. I also started lifting weight and working out about a year ago. You guys have any advice? Any sort of food that will burst my growth or maybe stretching or less working out?

Quote Originally Posted by dwadefan11
    Good stuff man I just lifted biceps and back and shot around a little, nothing serious, I did legs yesterday and wanted to give them a chance to rest.
    Definitely a good idea to shoot after you lift though, it keeps your form precise. I stopped lifting muscle groups individually and now am focused on total body coordination and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool
    Ok well I'm 17 and about 6'0". I never really played basketball for any team I usually just play for the fun of it. I realized that even without committing myself so much I'm better than most people who actually play for their High School or College teams. I first started playing basketball when I was 12 and ever since I just did the usual pick up games at park or just shooting around with friends or playing HORSE, 21 and all the other fun games. It really hit me this year how good I am though. I mean I play with guys who have been playing organized basketball for years and they practice as much as they can and for me it just comes easy. I have really long arms and I'm pretty much able to get my shot off from anywhere against anyone. I can be a lock-down hard nosed defender Artest style.

I was actually thinking about trying to get into organized basketball maybe join my team in HS and then hopefully play in college, but one thing that worries me is that I don't think I'm gonna grow that much, most of my friends are either catching up to me or they are already taller than me. If I ever wanted to make it pro I don't think I could as a 6'0" white male. I also started lifting weight and working out about a year ago. You guys have any advice? Any sort of food that will burst my growth or maybe stretching or less working out?
    Don't worry about your height. Height is one of the most overrated things I've ever heard about in basketball along with athleticism. At 6'0", you'd be a good size for a PG, trust me it's more about IQ and skills.

One thing though, if you don't think you can make it pro then you won't. You have to honestly believe you're good, but never complacent. You know you're better than the HS and college players you're playing with, so college is open for you. Just keep in mind that they might be better in a system with plays and fouls and such.

No, there is no food that can make you grow taller. Height is uncontrollable, despite what many people with pills and stretching exercises might tell you. Don't get down on what you don't have, being shorter is very advantageous in it's own right. Just eat healthy, start lifting consistently and work everyday. It's never too late to achieve any goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool

One step at a time my dude... Play some high school ball, then college, then see what happens. 6' isnt extremely tall but still I would kill to be that height and its plenty tall enough if you have skills. Don't worry about the pros yet, take it day by day and see what happens.

Plenty of 6'0 white guys have played in the NBA. Steve Nash is not 6'3... he is more like 6'1, so only an inch taller. Chris Quinn, Stockton, Mark Price, Scott Skiles, Jordan Farmar might as well be white he is not a lanky player at all, Luke Ridonour, Steve Kerr was just a little taller than 6'0... So I mean there have been dudes. The things you have to look at here... with the exception of Farmar (who is very athletic), all these guys weren't great athletes, but they had either great floor vision, were great shooters, or both. If you don't grow another inch, in todays NBA, you could easily be a Carlos Arroyo type. A guy who has good vision, can run an offense, and knock down and open jumper. The only thing he can't do is shoot 3's... if he could, he would have started for Miami no question about it. So... mold yourself into a player who will be successful on all levels if you really want to advance. You aren't going to be able to play like Kobe, or D Rose, or any of the taller more athletic guys and be successful... you have to be smart. Be smart first, and then if you happen to be a pretty good or good athlete, then maybe there are some things you can add to that.

Wow, we have completely different guard styles. Mainly because I outweigh you by a lot. 6'3, 195 pounds. How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    Wow, we have completely different guard styles. Mainly because I outweigh you by a lot. 6'3, 195 pounds. How tall are you?
    Around 5'7", 5'8". What's your style? Tyreke Evans? That's the other opposite side of the spectrum I guess.

Serious playground baller Deadpool's Avatar

Alright cool thanks guys I'll just focus on becoming better. Height will either come or it won't but technique and skills are always gonna be there. And yes I'm probably gonna try out for my school basketball team but they're terrible they won like 2 or 3 games lol but anyway it's worth a shot.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

oh man 2 or 3 games is bad. I can't really say the team sucks, because the other teams might be really pro. The basketball team I'm joining is average I guess. I'll be honest. I shoot 25% from mid range jumpers/70% for layup/20% for threes/have exceptional ball handling/and I guess that's all..but I'm still one of the best in the team. Even though there are alot of guys in my school who shoot like 20% better from all of those 3 types of shots, they just can't beat the people like me who got the good basketball knowledge :)

Around 5'7", 5'8". What's your style? Tyreke Evans? That's the other opposite side of the spectrum I guess.
    As far as attacking the rim and the ugly-ass jumper, then yeah . Not the worst comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    As far as attacking the rim and the ugly-ass jumper, then yeah . Not the worst comparison.
    Yea I don't see how Tyreke is going to get that shot to work without changing his form. It's just plain ugly. I can see him shooting no better than maybe Pippen... but I just don't feel like he will ever be a serious threat from the midrange... just someone you shouldn't leave wide ass open.

I could very well eat my words tho.