Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool
Default Ben Gordon + Future 1st for Maggette...DONE

What do you guys think of this deal? It does free up a lot of money i believe, not sure how much exactly, but a future first as well... Hopfully we have all the young talent we need in place after this draft!...

Happy day to see the ben gordon era over
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Ben Gordon + Future 1st for Maggette...DONE

The future 1st rounder was just too much to add to the deal. BG is the better player to begin with. I know the Pistons just saved themselves some money but throwing in a 1st just shows how bad they wanted to move him.... I think it's obvious Charlotte isn't going to draft Bradley Beal now, lol.

I'm not sure how Maggette fits into our lineup. We don't really need a SF necessarily. We have Daye and Jerebko who can both play that position. He can definitely score the ball though, and we do need help with that. I wonder if they plan on having him play some backup SG too. Doesn't it almost feel like Detroit now needs to make another move?
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

Aussie Dunker is considered somewhat coolAussie Dunker is considered somewhat cool

It is a protected first round back, so it's not too bad mate, and we should have all the young pieces we need after tomorrow, so the extra 15 mill or whatever the figure was can be best spent on a more than solid free agent in the coming years,

This years #9
This years #39
Monroe,
Knight,
Stuckey
Daye
Jerebko
Singler

I think we would be better of with a 25 - 30 year old proven player with the extra money than a 13 - 20 pick (lottery protected it is)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm unsure of that. Joe D has a history of spending money on unproven players.... While that worked out great for us once, it really didn't this time around. I really don't see anybody we will be able to realistically have a chance at signing.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

I'd be pretty keen to sign Batum.. Allows prince to preserve his body and be a 6th man of the year candidate while solidifying our future.. For example say we take Henson

Knight
Stuckey
Batum / Prince
Henson
Monroe

That all of a sudden becomes and extremely long, and good defensive, young squad...
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

And I also suggest we move maggette for more assets, not sure he will be in our future plans!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Batum is a FA this year though right? We don't have the money to sign anyone major this year. Plus, he doesn't want to be a 6th man. He wants to be a starter with more of a role.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I certainly don't think the pick was too much to throw in. Its 15 million bucks for a pick that is either not in the lottery or at least 2 years away. Gordon being the better player is irrelevant to this deal, 100%. Great deal IMO, dump the salary, dump the player and move on. Now we can get bigger and more athletic on the wing hopefully and also have 25 mil of cap space next year if we amnesty CV. Plus we have a big expiring deal to work with in Maggette.

Also Maggette could help. Jerebko could end up as the backup 4 and Maggette could bring some points off the bench, which we seriously lacked last year. Hopefully Daye is dealt away for a 2020 2nd rounder or something like that. Just move on. Amnesty CV now or next year, now only if you want his personality out of the locker room.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

The Pistons really aren't saving all that much money... they get themselves a bit of cap space to play with but they aren't really saving money. They're just going to take that money and spend it elsewhere. The payroll is roughly going to be the same for all those years. What I'm looking at is who does everybody seem to think we really have a shot at in free agency with that cap space? Do you really think we can lure a superstar to Detroit? If so, I'm obviously all for it. Next year it looks like we could have the opportunity to sign someone like a Josh Smith or Emeka Okafur. That hardly turns the Pistons into the power in the East they once were.

We aren't going to turn things around super quick. It's going to have to be done in the draft. We'll need our first rounders. But what I'm thinking is Joe D will eventually trade away someone else and try to land a first round pick to make up for the one he had to give up with this trade.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
WBynumToTheHole
I hit open layups

WBynumToTheHole has an OK reputation so far

I like this trade. If Maggette is healthy I think he can bring us a lot of FT opportunities with his slashing. Maybe the offense won't be as stagnant - good things happen when this team is moving without the ball on offense.

Gordon was a hot/cold shooter and his contract was a bit outrageous. Never really performed at the level that was expected when he signed.

Down the road we'll have some cap flexibility that we wouldn't have had before, and that pick is protected well enough that if we are really in need of some more talent it will be there.

Maybe we'll see more moves on draft day. I kinda hope we stick with this and we'll see what our new piece is tomorrow.
WBynumToTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
I'd be pretty keen to sign Batum.. Allows prince to preserve his body and be a 6th man of the year candidate while solidifying our future.. For example say we take Henson

Knight
Stuckey
Batum / Prince
Henson
Monroe

That all of a sudden becomes and extremely long, and good defensive, young squad...

Buffoonery!
embersyc is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: