Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #6 Bob Cousy VS Isiah Thomas.

I saw GOAT asked someone to do the next one when he got...upset...for some reason. And the other was bumped with people asking what we were doing with it. So I will simply copy it exactly as he would and when(if) he returns he can take back over and do whatever he feels like. All I will do is list it exactly as he did count the votes(not that you cant count them yourself) of the people he has listed as voters. From this point of the post on im just gonna copy what he did and change what has to be for this round:

Make your arguments here for the next 48 hours on rather Bob Cousy or Isiah Thomas should advance and continue to move higher on the list. Put the players name you are voting for in BOLD so I don't miss it when I tally. The loser of this poll will be ranked #7 in our project.

Only members listed on the project roster will have their votes counted. Anyone may add their opinion and or argument as long as it's constructive. Our roster is now finalized. If you like the project and think you can make it better please add your opinion. If you'd like to join in the forwards, centers or all-time top 67 project, please let GOAT know via PM. The Final Roster is listed below....

The Roster

L.Kizzle
    ThaSwagg3r
    Rose
    WillC
    G.O.A.T
    1987 Lakers
    neyca
    Toizumi
    Shaqattack3234
    Magnax1
    RobertdeMeijer
    nycelt84
    KGMN
    SteveNashMVPcro

Crossover (added after initial vote)
    bizil (added after initial vote)
    Boston C's (added at #20)
    Gotterdammerung (added at #17)
    SuperPippen (added at #14)
    Big164 (added at #13)
    Droid101 (added at #11)
    D.J. (added at #11)
    Miller for 3 (added at #10)
    Odinn (added at #9)
    OmniStrife (added at #9)
    HylianNightmare (added at #9)
    Pushxx (added at #9)
    MasterDurant24 (added at #9)
    Clippersfan86 (added at #9)

ThaRegul8r (contributor)
    NugzHeat3 (contributor)
    Psileas (contributor)
    alexandreben (contributor)
    EricForman (contributor)

14 seasons
    12x all-NBA
    13x all-star
    2x ASG MVP
    6x NBA Champion
    1957 MVP
    8x Assists leader
    20-6-8 averages over 9 year prime

13 seasons
    5x all-NBA
    12x all-star
    2x ASG MVP
    2x NBA Champion
    1990 Finals MVP
    1x Assists leader
    20-4-10 averages over 8 year prime

When GOAT returns he can take over and do...whatever. I'll work off the poll results in his other topic till he does. So ill count it up in 48 hours or when someone has the majority of possible votes. Or if someone else notices someone has the majority...just make the next one I guess. I dont guess it matters who starts it if its all done the same way.

Local High School Star

Default Re: ISH All-time Top 25 Guards Project: #6 Bob Cousy VS Isiah Thomas.

Nice of you to do this kblaze... tough for me but I'll lean slightly towards cousy just because his resume is a tad more impressive

Due to Kblaze's relentless pissing on Bob Cousy as an inferior shooter & defender, Isiah Thomas is the right pick.

Although his range was somewhat limited (about 27% from 3FG) he was probably the better finisher in the open court, and better pull-up jump shooter.

Isiah knew how to use his elbows, and routinely stepped on guys' feet as they elevated to attempt as hot.

Since he was the better defender, better shooter, as good a passer, and has awesome willpower (clutch performances, led powerful teams to title by ending two dynasties in the Showtime Lakers and the Bird Celtics, and held off another in Jordan Bulls) and did whatever was necessary to win, I have to go with him over Bob Cousy.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Isiah.

im a superhero

interesting that the same people that voted for cousy over wade for cousy being more "accomplished" are now voting for isiah despite wade being more accomplished than isiah.

lol... if you're going to vote, then at least be consistent with your criteria.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

It's the whole, "how the hell can you rank this modern superstar over that oldschool legend when he's not even finished with his career yet?" angle.

While I still think that Kblaze undersold Cousy and could've been fairer with his judgements, I respect his arguments and agree with a good amount of his points.

Anyway, I'll give this one to Isiah Thomas. He was a significantly better player than Cousy ever was in more ways than one; better defender, better scorer, better shooter, better leader, and better clutch player. It should be noted, however, that Isiah never made nearly the same impact on his era that Cousy made on his, and Isiah also had the obvious benefit of being born over 30 years later.

What more needs to be said?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    It's the whole, "how the hell can you rank this modern superstar over that oldschool legend when he's not even finished with his career yet?" angle.

While I still think that Kblaze undersold Cousy and could've been fairer with his judgements, I respect his arguments and agree with a good amount of his points.

Anyway, I'll give this one to Isiah Thomas. He was a significantly better player than Cousy ever was in more ways than one; better defender, better scorer, better shooter, better leader, and better clutch player. It should be noted, however, that Isiah never made nearly the same impact on his era that Cousy made on his, and Isiah also had the obvious benefit of being born over 30 years later.

What more needs to be said?
    +1. You should check out the "John Stockton vs Isiah Thomas" thread for your answer of "What more needs to be said ?".

Skills should never be on the argument vs Bob Cousy. Cause doesn't matter if it's Michael Jordan or Adam Morrison or that random stud from the gym, they all are much more skilled than Bob.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Isiah Thomas.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Isiah Thomas gets my vote, Cousy shouldn't even be up this high.

im a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen

Anyway, I'll give this one to Isiah Thomas. He was a significantly better player than Cousy ever was in more ways than one; better defender, better scorer, better shooter, better leader, and better clutch player.
    im not sure who you voted for in the last thread, but isn't wade better at all those things compared to cousy as well?

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    interesting that the same people that voted for cousy over wade for cousy being more "accomplished" are now voting for isiah despite wade being more accomplished than isiah.

lol... if you're going to vote, then at least be consistent with your criteria.
    Wade and Isiah are not in a battle, so it's irrelevant.

That's like people voting for Payton over Iverson, but would vote Iverson over Drexler. (Clyde finished above both.)

I've got Isiah Thomas one place above Cousy in my all-time top 100: http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...a-history.html

Thomas' quickness and dribbling ability were uncanny. He was the ultimate pure point guard. He had no weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Skills should never be on the argument vs Bob Cousy. Cause doesn't matter if it's Michael Jordan or Adam Morrison or that random stud from the gym, they all are much more skilled than Bob.
    Have you seen Bob Cousy play? He was one of the most skillful players ever.

Isiah Thomas