Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #1006
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

I too didn't get much fleshed out from the flashbacks. It was sort of a retelling of the story I felt I already knew. And because of that I sort of liked the ending. The Darmondy family sort of finally getting even with Nucky. But if that's going to be the overriding theme of the season, why do it with new performers re-interpretting characters we already knew and were comfortable with, just to drape this newer material over the top of it that felt like a totally different story.

We know Gillian had a relationship with Luciano, I would've more interested in something that put her prominently using those bozos in order to exact her revenge, and it would'nt have required the time jump in order to get the main theme of Darmondy retribution across. They could've easily juggled the timeline for other historical moments. Had it seem like Nucky was creating the national syndicate, then have Luciano turn on him for Gillian at the very end. They could've blown the Gillian history open through her with Luciano.

I don't know. It just felt like there were ways to get what they wanted with a seven year jump forward folloed by a 40 year flashback backward. I'm sure the Darmondy retribution was the endgame when the first scene was written a decade ago or whatever. And I'm sure it was supposed to be Jimmy until there was whatever contractual / backstage issue pushed that relationship toward what really was the shows apex to me.

And I really feel like losing Rothstein was a huge blow to this season.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #1007
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Randomly ran into Erik LaRay Harvey (Dunn Purnsley) at an audition earlier today. Didn't even realize who he was at first, was just talking to him in the lobby and elevator and realized I had seen him somewhere before. I actually thought he was Tony Todd (The Candyman) at first.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #1008
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Randomly ran into Erik LaRay Harvey (Dunn Purnsley) at an audition earlier today. Didn't even realize who he was at first, was just talking to him in the lobby and elevator and realized I had seen him somewhere before. I actually thought he was Tony Todd (The Candyman) at first.

He was excellent in Boardwalk.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #1009
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
He was excellent in Boardwalk.

He really was. Kind of depressing that they still have him auditioning with us lowly peasants instead of him fielding offers. Very nice guy too.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #1010
Thorpesaurous

He's got a weird IMDB page. He's got small roles in Twister, Rounders, and KPAX, all big budget things which usually mean he's got some in with a casting group, and then it just falls off into tv guest spots.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #1011
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
He's got a weird IMDB page. He's got small roles in Twister, Rounders, and KPAX, all big budget things which usually mean he's got some in with a casting group, and then it just falls off into tv guest spots.

Yeah I don't really know his story, I'm going to assume he mostly does theater and every now and then does guest spots on TV for money. A lot of working actors do that. They still look down on TV/film... but sometimes the money is too good to turn down.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: