Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Best excuses to skip leg day?

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I'm lucky enough to have been born with big quads, and big calves, so I don't really find the need to go to heavy on legs. I usually do my bodyweight (225lbs) for 20 reps and that's good enough for me after 3 sets.

People can point to chicken legs all they want, but I'm not entirely sure its the best way to gauge... NBA athletes are crazy strong in the legs, yet most of them have chicken legs. Look at Kobe for example. Even MJ. Both had thin legs, yet they had 40 inch verticals.
    Same thing goes with guys at the gym. I've seen guys with legs far smaller than mine, and even to the extent of some of the pics in here, come in and lift far more weight than I ever could on the squat.
    Probably comes down to a definitional thing really. Some can squat 500 pounds but can't get 25 inches off the ground, probably a strength VS weight thing too.

Some are also built better for the squat, I think you mentioned you were pretty tall. Say 6'3, a guy who is 5'3 (theoretically) has 12 inches less to travel through each rep, if you both do 20 all out reps on the squat, that's 240 whole inches less work he has to do, probably counts as easily and extra few reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    Probably comes down to a definitional thing really. Some can squat 500 pounds but can't get 25 inches off the ground, probably a strength VS weight thing too.

Some are also built better for the squat, I think you mentioned you were pretty tall. Say 6'3, a guy who is 5'3 (theoretically) has 12 inches less to travel through each rep, if you both do 20 all out reps on the squat, that's 240 whole inches less work he has to do, probably counts as easily and extra few reps.
    Yeah, I am.

I've still always found it bizarre that I'm terrible at legs considering the mass I have on them, and yet considering my height, I'm terrific at pulls. Deadlifts and pull ups are 2 of my best exercises and I'm 6'3. I've deadlifted 500lbs+ and can do 20-25 pullups, yet my squat is flat out terrible. I'm fine doing a lot of reps, but adding any amount of weight more really cuts my reps down quickly on the squat. Not so the case with my dead's or bench for example. Or doing weighted pull ups.

-its not arms
    -they are not that small
    - they are proportional with my body
    -that guy at the gym squats a lot but has smaller legs than mine
    -i played football/soccer in my childhood so im kind of covered for life
    -i worked them few days ago( few weeks* ago) they are still sore man im telling you i hit em so hard i had to call a taxi
    - i dont want them too big anyway it will look weird man
    -the feeling aint right for the workout man
    -i barely ate today
    -ill do them tomorrow

I hate leg day. Actually, I hate the day after leg day a.k.a. Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    the [COLOR="Black"]fu[/COLOR]ck is a leg day??

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I hate leg day. Actually, I hate the day after leg day a.k.a. Tuesday.
    I hate having to brace myself every time I'm about to sit on the toilet. It is the single most painful thing after an intense leg day.

5-time NBA All-Star

u guys know u can tailor your workouts to have 5 sets of squats before and upper push day or 5 sets of squats before an upper pull day and then a dl/backday and never really have crazy crippled doms right?

IMO the only excuse for skipping leg day is if you don't have legs

I do legs twice a week. Last time I worked legs was Friday. Did 80kg squats (I weigh around 70) 5x5. Then leg presses and hamstring curls. Then I played basketball for 2 hours on Saturday. My legs burn when I move them, but I'll do another leg day this week.

There's no excuse. Guys who work out but skip legs are just lazy. Or they just want upper body beach muscles. To each their own, but imo its whack.

Decent college freshman

Is there an advantage of doing legs?

Don't want an essay just a simple answer. Im thinking of starting up at the gym but only really care about looking good.

I've gotten through my bigginer phase, the legs. I went through that thy pain. To me that's the worst pain of all muscles. Now I don't get sore anymore there for long.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Easy8
    Is there an advantage of doing legs?

Don't want an essay just a simple answer. Im thinking of starting up at the gym but only really care about looking good.
    your legs are your biggest muscle group and working them out hard will increase your testosterone production which will make you bigger and stronger for upper body exercises also

skipped them today didnt really feel like working out :/
    oh well hopefully ill feel better next week

Dunking on everybody in the park shallehalle's Avatar

Some few years back I hated doing leg exercises at the gym, but recently I try different leg workouts and I kind of stated liking doing them.