Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Your boy needs some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    but if I just dropout, pretty sure I have to pay for my tuition, SO...
    You might be able to pause though. If you go to the college and explain, you're not sure what you want to do see if you could take a year off and then come back with your benefits intact. Perhaps there's even jobs/internships you can do.

My advice is if you are figuring yourself out, you might as well stay in college and do it. If you quit, it's harder to return. And there is value in a 4 year degree, in that most jobs you will want to do will look for that. Once you have career experience, it matters less.

Try to get some internships/real job experience as soon as you can, so you can see what type of stuff you like.

Your short list is a waste of money and will get you no-where. I would dig deeper or take some time out until you are enlightened so you don't waste time and money.

NBA Superstar

Those aren't the only ones on my list or whatever. Just the first few that have popped into my head. I could major in anything at this point. Since I don't know what I want to be it's a little harder to get motivated so I want an easier major.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Run down:

Halfway finished with college, basically been coasting through this point. Got all of my general education courses done. Problem is I have no idea what I want to major in. Have my college paid for because of elite testing scores and shit, but if I just dropout, pretty sure I have to pay for my tuition, SO...

What should I major in? I'd prefer something easy to finish college out, something flexible in regards to works for various job fields, and perhaps something I'd work lower hours in?

Considering a bunch of shit right now:
    Sports Management (this is relative to my interests)
    Communication (seems to be easy and apply to many job fields)
    Music Composition (learned piano and guitar at a young age so shit comes easy to me)

Only thing is, I don't suck at math, but really hate doing that shit, so any engineering shit would be a no go.

Any advice out there?
    Most majors are worthless because they are very over-satured and won't get you a job. Sports management is a very hard field. You often have to have connections to get anywhere in that field. Most sports management majors can't find career related jobs. A communication major is worthless. Music is tough as well.

Research it heavily. Don't go by what the college tells you as they are a for profit business that will tell you that every major is great because they want as many customers aka students as possible. Don't trust what BS corporate sites like yahoo tell you as well about "hot" majors. They are paid shills. Also don't trust what the older generations say because back when they graduated any major could get a job, but it is different these days. Example: Before 2008 an average accounting grad with an undergrad degree could get a staff accounting job, but now we have many students with masters, a CPA license, and good GPAs that cannot find accounting work. 20-30 years ago it was even easier. So if you ask an accounting grad from 1998 they would recommend you accounting. Ask recent grads or research it online.

I was in the same boat as you. My college was paid for because of scholarships and I actually earned a lot of extra scholarship money. I majored in accounting, which according to older people and the college was "hot" and I was in a school that was known for accounting...I had above average grades and previous internship experience (that I got through my dad's CPA) yet I cannot even find a free internship let alone a job and I passed most of my CPA exams. Most of my classmates are working non accounting related jobs.

Now granted I didn't pay for college and hate accounting, so I'm fine with it but if I had to redo it I would research heavily before selecting a major. I hear the technology and IT fields are good (but again research it) along with oil and gas fields.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 03-28-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Those aren't the only ones on my list or whatever. Just the first few that have popped into my head. I could major in anything at this point. Since I don't know what I want to be it's a little harder to get motivated so I want an easier major.
    You don't pick a career by whatever just pops into your head. You clearly have a lot of work, thinking, and exploring to do.

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Most majors are worthless because they are very over-satured and won't get you a job. Sports management is a very hard field. You often have to have connections to get anywhere in that field. Most sports management majors can't find career related jobs. A communication major is worthless. Music is tough as well.

Research it heavily. Don't go by what the college tells you as they are a for profit business that will tell you that every major is great because they want as many customers aka students as possible. Don't trust what BS corporate sites like yahoo tell you as well about "hot" majors. They are paid shills. Also don't trust what the older generations say because back when they graduated any major could get a job, but it is different these days. Example: Before 2008 an average accounting grad with an undergrad degree could get a staff accounting job, but now we have many students with masters, a CPA license, and good GPAs that cannot find accounting work. 20-30 years ago it was even easier. So if you ask an accounting grad from 1998 they would recommend you accounting. Ask recent grads or research it online.

I was in the same boat as you. My college was paid for because of scholarships and I actually earned a lot of extra scholarship money. I majored in accounting, which according to older people and the college was "hot" and I was in a school that was known for accounting...I had above average grades and previous internship experience (that I got through my dad's CPA) yet I cannot even find a free internship let alone a job and I passed most of my CPA exams. Most of my classmates are working non accounting related jobs.

Now granted I didn't pay for college and hate accounting, so I'm fine with it but if I had to redo it I would research heavily before selecting a major. I hear the technology and IT fields are good (but again research it) along with oil and gas fields.
    Nothing is hot anymore unless you want to be an RNA; the economy is down. You are going to need to work very hard and be lucky to score a permanent gig in your desired profession.

construction manager

If you really just can't give a ****, do a business major.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Nothing is hot anymore unless you want to be an RNA; the economy is down. You are going to need to work very hard and be lucky to score a permanent gig in your desired profession.
    I agree. Even nursing is oversatured, but the nursing schools won't tell their students that. My ex had to find out the hard way.

Very good NBA starter

Run down:

Halfway finished with college, basically been coasting through this point. Got all of my general education courses done. Problem is I have no idea what I want to major in. Have my college paid for because of elite testing scores and shit, but if I just dropout, pretty sure I have to pay for my tuition, SO...

What should I major in? I'd prefer something easy to finish college out, something flexible in regards to works for various job fields, and perhaps something I'd work lower hours in?

Considering a bunch of shit right now:
    Sports Management (this is relative to my interests)
    Communication (seems to be easy and apply to many job fields)
    Music Composition (learned piano and guitar at a young age so shit comes easy to me)

Only thing is, I don't suck at math, but really hate doing that shit, so any engineering shit would be a no go.

Any advice out there?
    Assuming you're not trolling I'd do some research into the fields that are up and coming in the next 5 years. As other people have said major in economics, finance or accounting. You don't necessarily have to be good at math in these majors. I'd suggest looking into IT or Data Analytics.

You should try PCS. If you know the right people, it could pay really well.

Don't get a degree and hopefully find a career, look for the career first and then see what you degree you need to get.

1. Look at the market place. What is in demand in your area? Sometimes you don't even need a 4 year degree for the job; sometimes all you need is a certificate you can get at a trade school.

Here is a little secret: what is in demand will pay a lot higher than what is not.

2. If you don't know what is in demand and want to get a degree that is open ended, then don't go for a degree that is specific to a field of study, but go for a general set of skills, for example, management, accounting, mathematics, and something as simple as microsoft computer office skills are so broad almost any company will hire you on the spot if you have a degree or certificate. If you want to work for yourself, then do what you love, but if you want to work for a big company, then work on the skills they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    Don't get a degree and hopefully find a career, look for the career first and then see what you degree you need to get.

1. Look at the market place. What is in demand in your area? Sometimes you don't even need a 4 year degree for the job; sometimes all you need is a certificate you can get at a trade school.

Here is a little secret: what is in demand will pay a lot higher than what is not.

2. If you don't know what is in demand and want to get a degree that is open ended, then don't go for a degree that is specific to a field of study, but go for a general set of skills, for example, management, accounting, mathematics, and something as simple as microsoft computer office skills are so broad almost any company will hire you on the spot if you have a degree or certificate. If you want to work for yourself, then do what you love, but if you want to work for a big company, then work on the skills they are looking for.
    Lol look at this idiot. You obviously have no clue, no education, and no life.
    Last edited by DeuceWallaces; 03-29-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Lol look at this idit. You obviously have no clue, no education, and no life.
    My ideas are unique and different, but it's practical. Looking for a job in demand and then attaining the required skills to get the position? That's common knowledge dumbsh*t. For example, if a job requires knowledge of microsoft word, powerpoint, etc. then you are more likely to get that position with a 6 month certificate than someone who got a bachelors in music.

I know idiots like you have been taught all your life by a failed educational institution to just duke it out with some sh*tty degree and hope for the best. That's not how the real world works. The goal should be the starting point: figure out what job you want, figure out how much you want to get paid, and then figure out what degree will allow you to attain that job. You can get yourself a psychology or music degree, but will the career that is available and is in demand looking for those types of degree?

You can't just say I"m gonna do this or that without looking at the market place first. What jobs are available in your area? What companies are the best to work at? Do you want to be self employed? What do you want your career to be? That is the question you should be asking first and foremost. I mean it's kind of pointless to get a degree and then find out later you can't get a job with it because the field is over saturated.