Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: New Cosmos series on cosmology/astronomy/life

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I guess but you could just rerun the programs that have already covered it and arent even 10 yrs old.

If there isnt much new info I dont know what the point of a new series is. This isnt a sitcom, its science.

I mean obviously I dont really care if they do or not, just saying I dont quite get the motivation.
    Yeah but NDT can be promoted as a new voice for science, improve production value on the show, include features to interact with social media platforms, etc. I definitely think this version will be more effective at reaching a younger audience than a simple rerun would be.

Tyson is Based for sure

But how much more is there to explain to people whove already watched The Universe and other relatively recent space docu programs. Hasnt exactly been an effusion of major discoveries in the last 5 years. Not even all that many minor ones to my knowledge.
    Tyson is a great speaker and a person that will inspire you with enthusiasm even if you already know the stuff. What makes Tyson great is that he can reach both those that may be completely ignorant to the basics of science and also those that may already be a physicist.

I'm looking forward to what sort of cool graphics they will be using to point out various scientific knowledge and the style he will use to get that knowledge across. I know I won't be learning completely new things, but knowing Tyson, I will still be awed and amazed.

Yeah, I think it's important to sell a sense of awe and wonder with science and Tyson is very good at that.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Tyson is a great speaker and a person that will inspire you with enthusiasm even if you already know the stuff. What makes Tyson great is that he can reach both those that may be completely ignorant to the basics of science and also those that may already be a physicist.

I'm looking forward to what sort of cool graphics they will be using to point out various scientific knowledge and the style he will use to get that knowledge across. I know I won't be learning completely new things, but knowing Tyson, I will still be awed and amazed.
    Carl Sagan was the master of this... and Neil has humungous shoes to fill on that front. If there is anyone who could partially fill those shoes, it is him.

Looking forward to it.

That was a great ending to first episode. I thought it was a good episode overall. Definitely has tons of potential of being even greater.. I can't wait to see the other episodes.

I thought they did a good job of being as neutral as possible to those that may not be very knowledgeable to the ways of science.

Neil's speaking seems so rushed compared to Sagan's. Sagan just had a way of making every word that came out of his mouth seem rhythmic and amazing.

It was okay for a first episode, however I hope they go more in depth on subjects in future episodes.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson in person about 2 weeks ago on @midnight. It was the Community episode.

National High School Star Rodmantheman's Avatar

where can I watch this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmantheman
    On TV.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    On TV.

National geographic channel.......also was on fox.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Last part about Carl reaching to him as a teenager was a really good story to hear. I had people like that help me when I was a young man, and I hope I can do the same for someone in the future.

Banned

Tyson is Based for sure

But how much more is there to explain to people whove already watched The Universe and other relatively recent space docu programs. Hasnt exactly been an effusion of major discoveries in the last 5 years. Not even all that many minor ones to my knowledge.
    Tyson's gift (as was Sagan's) is to make you feel like he's talking directly to you when he's communicating what he understands about the universe. It makes the process of discovery and understanding that much more profound for people. If you watched the first episode last night, you probably have already noticed this.

What you get on a lot of these other Universe shows is a bunch of talking heads talking at you...making it a much more passive experience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rodmantheman
    Re-run Monday night at 10EST on NatGeo.

Am.i the only one who noticed how some of the music was the same from the movie contact when jodie foster is remembering her father?

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    Tyson's gift (as was Sagan's) is to make you feel like he's talking directly to you when he's communicating what he understands about the universe. It makes the process of discovery and understanding that much more profound for people. If you watched the first episode last night, you probably have already noticed this.

What you get on a lot of these other Universe shows is a bunch of talking heads talking at you...making it a much more passive experience.

Im aware of this as Ive been a fan of the guy's for years, my point was just that between The Universe, Nova, and various single episode documentaries many of which already feature him I guess I was just wondering aloud if there was any actual new info to share here or if this was mostly just repackaging, thats all.