Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What happened to LeBron's vertical leap?

That rim is shorter, and you know it.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

One of those days this thread will actually have substance , but i think it lies more than 4 years in the future , so please stop it.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

He' also a lot bigger than those days. Harder to get up higher when you're carrying more girth

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenDave
    Physical peak is actually around the age of 18, the problem is most people havent trained enough before turning 18, so for most it is early 20s, like 21 or 22. Your body begins to decline AFTER that, that means your decline begins at 23, 24 etc. So sure he cant get as high as he used to. I dont get the point of these "ZOMFG LEBRON LOST HIS ATHLETICISM HE SUX NAO" threads. Sure he has, but he is still the best athlete around imo. Even Jordan, Carter, Kobe... coudnt get as up with 27 as they could with 21.
    Stop posting. 18 as a physical peak? 18 year olds still don't have any man strength this post is crazy. This isn't women's gymnastics. 18 is not the physical peak. OMG at how bad this post this.

Lebron is being smart enough to not blow energy in games jumping as high as he can to do dunk when he gain exert less energy and still score two points. He can still get high enough to put his chin over the rim. He chooses not to...

Serious playground baller

I think he plays a lot smarter now. He realised he has to calm down a little bit so he can be healthier and conserve more energy for playoffs and longevity. Just my opinion.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Last I saw he was at 265 lbs after working out with Wade's trainer this offseason, which is about 30lbs heavier than he was in Cleveland.
    Lebron was 245 at the pre-draft camp in '03 when he looked like this. I believe he dropped down to 242 by training camp of his rookie year, but same thing.

He's been 260+ since at least '07-'08. It has more to do with Lebron being in his 9th season as Lebron23 said. Being a bit lighter might help him keep his explosiveness as he ages like Kobe in '07-'08 when he lost 20 pounds, but his game seems to be fine right now. He's playing unbelievably well to start the season and his game wasn't the problem last year year either, so if he keeps playing like this, I'm not sure it's an issue, even if he doesn't have the highlights he did around '06 or '08.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Really? His vertical leap, that's what stood out to you? The most telling thing about that highlight is the acceleration LeBron puts on for the drive. That's what he CAN'T do anymore. His jumping ability is just fine on the other hand for his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    Really? His vertical leap, that's what stood out to you? The most telling thing about that highlight is the acceleration LeBron puts on for the drive. That's what he CAN'T do anymore. His jumping ability is just fine on the other hand for his age.
    This.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Stop posting. 18 as a physical peak? 18 year olds still don't have any man strength this post is crazy. This isn't women's gymnastics. 18 is not the physical peak. OMG at how bad this post this.
    Fail. Dont post if you dont know anything. The human body is at his peak at around 18. At 18, you have the most hops (on average, there are always exceptions). The problem is, LIKE I ****ING SAID IN MY POST ABOVE, that nobody, not even pro athletes, train enough to hit there possible peak.
    Muscles grow til you are in your mid 20s, but thats it. If trained properly, you are the best at about 18. Learn to read.
    (Here is a hint for you: your regeneration ablities hit their peak at 18 too, thats not a coincidence...)

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    You've brought that up before.

Local High School Star

Watch the dunk at 7:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20H9sO_rAx0

Godly athleticism there, that's the type of play that current Lebron can no longer make. His vertical hasn't been affected much.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    It gets old after you've been in the league for years. Dunking hurts your hands sometimes and he doesn't have that youthful exuberance or desire to prove that he can do miraculous slams.

After awhile it just becomes 2pts.
    Tell me about it. I know I hate it when my wrists are all bruised up from all the dunking.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenDave
    Fail. Dont post if you dont know anything. The human body is at his peak at around 18. At 18, you have the most hops (on average, there are always exceptions). The problem is, LIKE I ****ING SAID IN MY POST ABOVE, that nobody, not even pro athletes, train enough to hit there possible peak.
    Muscles grow til you are in your mid 20s, but thats it. If trained properly, you are the best at about 18. Learn to read.
    (Here is a hint for you: your regeneration ablities hit their peak at 18 too, thats not a coincidence...)
    So you hit your physical peak several years before you finish building muscle...um, explain how.