Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Dwight in Orlando

I think SVG utilized him to his max potential.

Dwight's weaknesses were exposed when it became evident he couldn't pass out of the post, and he couldn't punish teams who keep fouling him when his team did feed him in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Dwight gets underrated because of his personality but on the court, the guy was and is an absolute beast. Probably the most explosive big ever. Look at the dunks this guy made at the Slam Dunk contest and it's just eye popping. He's under 6'11" with shoes but he was blessed with a huge wingspan of 7'5". One of the better rim protectors ever. It's not the amount of blocks that made him great at defending but just his presence alone because teams knew how quickly he could get off the ground.

It would've been nice to see him REALLY work on his post game but as it stands, he was one of the best rim protectors and rebounders ever. And one thing that gets seriously overlooked is just how strong this guy is. I saw him move Blake Griffin like a rag doll many times in the Houston series. It was almost like a boy playing against a man.
    Bolded is because Griff is quite soft. Dwight is INSANELY weak for his deceptive body type. I attribute this to him not knowing how to distribute it. Why was EVERYONE able to back dwight into the post? Hell, Diaw was backing down Dwight. It's shameful really.

That said, people forget he was posting prime Hakeem numbers in some of those Orlando seasons. Certainly was one of the best rebounders I've ever seen. I always thought if he had a nice passing PG (Andre Miller or something) he would have just taken off. Then of course I was sorely mistaken after seeing him with Nash. I know this was post-injury but still. He couldn't catch basic passes. Looked like Kwame ****ing Brown out there at times. I think he gets rated low because of things like this and also the fact that once Yao went down (who always raped him btw), he really had no competition at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    Bolded is because Griff is quite soft. Dwight is INSANELY weak for his deceptive body type. I attribute this to him not knowing how to distribute it. Why was EVERYONE able to back dwight into the post? Hell, Diaw was backing down Dwight. It's shameful really.

That said, people forget he was posting prime Hakeem numbers in some of those Orlando seasons. Certainly was one of the best rebounders I've ever seen. I always thought if he had a nice passing PG (Andre Miller or something) he would have just taken off. Then of course I was sorely mistaken after seeing him with Nash. I know this was post-injury but still. He couldn't catch basic passes. Looked like Kwame ****ing Brown out there at times. I think he gets rated low because of things like this and also the fact that once Yao went down (who always raped him btw), he really had no competition at the position.
    Completely disagree about Dwight's strength. Dude is incredibly strong when he decides to push guys around. I do agree that he does sometimes not know how to maximize his strength at times.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

He gets underrated, he was a top 3 nba player in orlt

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    You're such a moron. In the 2011 playoffs Dwight averaged 27/16 on 63% and 13.5 FGA.
    For reference, in 2003 Shaq averaged 27/15 on 59% with 14.0 FGA
    Dwight put up slightly better numbers than the MDE in his prime.
    The day I find an educated Lakers fan will be a beautiful day. Enjoy the lotto again.
    Oh wow 4 years ago, so impressed Coward is going to be 30 in his next post season appearance and just went through some injuries. Did you actually compare 03 Shaq to Coward in the Least? #1 center? educated?

I usually hit open layups

Orlando sucks, went back on their promise to the Nets to trade him there and it ruined his career, stuck with that loser Hardy.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

he was every bit as good of a player as prime shaq in his orlando days

People are saying that he was the same level as Prime Mourning, but Dwight was the superior player, and better playoffs performer.

One of the greatest centers ever. Not surprised to see laker fans bashing and hating him.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    You're such a moron. In the 2011 playoffs Dwight averaged 27/16 on 63% and 13.5 FGA.
    For reference, in 2003 Shaq averaged 27/15 on 59% with 14.0 FGA
    Dwight put up slightly better numbers than the MDE in his prime.
    The day I find an educated Lakers fan will be a beautiful day. Enjoy the lotto again.
    That's really, really misleading though. It's not like that was Shaq's best or MVP season or anything...

Shaq in his prime was a much, much better offensive player than Dwight has ever been, and rightly took more shots on average for his respective teams.

Shaq's first 10 seasons in the league (basically his entire 20's)... 19 FGA per game and 28 ppg.

Dwight's career average (going on 11 seasons)... 11 FGA per game and 18 ppg.

Think about that disparity for a minute, if we're going to be ruminating over stats.

And while we're talking about 2011 Dwight, keep in mind his team lost to the 44-win Atlanta Hawks... in the 1st round... while they deliberately single covered Dwight through out the series, forcing Dwight to be a scorer, which got him points, sure, but he's sort of a black hole and not an elite playmaker in the post.. Dwight ended the series with 3 assists and 33 turnovers in 6 games.

Personally I think Dwight is an exceptional, HOF shot blocker, defender, and rebounder with an above-average, but not elite, offense. When he regresses to the mean, his offense can actually look pretty ugly and one-dimensional at times, yet he's had great moments on offense. But keep in mind, he doesn't have the size and footwork Shaq had, nor did Dwight's prime coincide with Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Duncan, etc... not at all

rank sentamentalist

Dwight ended the series with 3 assists and 33 turnovers in 6 games.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynsfinest
    Orlando sucks, went back on their promise to the Nets to trade him there and it ruined his career, stuck with that loser Hardy.
    orlando owned ur shitty team. no future having ass f*cks

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    That's really, really misleading though. It's not like that was Shaq's best or MVP season or anything...

Shaq in his prime was a much, much better offensive player than Dwight has ever been, and rightly took more shots on average for his respective teams.

Shaq's first 10 seasons in the league (basically his entire 20's)... 19 FGA per game and 28 ppg.

Dwight's career average (going on 11 seasons)... 11 FGA per game and 18 ppg.

Think about that disparity for a minute, if we're going to be ruminating over stats.

And while we're talking about 2011 Dwight, keep in mind his team lost to the 44-win Atlanta Hawks... in the 1st round... while they deliberately single covered Dwight through out the series, forcing Dwight to be a scorer, which got him points, sure, but he's sort of a black hole and not an elite playmaker in the post.. Dwight ended the series with 3 assists and 33 turnovers in 6 games.

Personally I think Dwight is an exceptional, HOF shot blocker, defender, and rebounder with an above-average, but not elite, offense. When he regresses to the mean, his offense can actually look pretty ugly and one-dimensional at times, yet he's had great moments on offense. But keep in mind, he doesn't have the size and footwork Shaq had, nor did Dwight's prime coincide with Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Duncan, etc... not at all
    dwight is easily one of the best defenders of alltime. KG gets a lot of love for defense but dwight was just as good as him maybe better. there's not many bigs in nba history that could defend like dwight could in this era.