Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Rare Michael Jordan interview from 2000 (toughest player to guard, best defender)

[QUOTE]Q: "Who would be on your all-time greatest team of NBA players?"

A: "Other than myself (he smiled), I would take Magic Johnson at point guard and Jerry West at the two (guard). Then I'd have Larry Bird and Kevin McHale (at forwards) and Hakeem Olajuwon (at center)."

Q: "What's your favorite color?"

A: "Blue (North Carolina, no doubt)."

Q: "Who's the best defensive player you ever played against?"

A: "Joe Dumars

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Rare Michael Jordan interview from 2000 (toughest player to guard, best defender)

Damon? That was the most surprising answer.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Rare Michael Jordan interview from 2000 (toughest player to guard, best defender)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Damon had some good games vs Chicago during the second 3 peat. I haven't watched them but I wouldn't be shocked if his quickness and dribble penetration gave them some trouble. He had 30/11 in a game vs the 1996 Bulls in which the Raptors handed them one of their ten losses.

The second 3 peat Bulls were a fairly old squad and they didn't have a defensive stopper for those quicker, penetrating guards with the exception of Randy Brown who excelled at defense, specifically ball pressure, but he was a back up that saw limited time. I guess you could say that was also the result of playing a big backcourt (Harper and Jordan).

Of course, Jordan would take this role (1997 playoffs vs Strickland for example) when they really needed him to but I don't think he could've done this consistently without wearing down. I also thought his defense was more suited for PGs in 1997 than 1996 because he lost some weight that year and seemed quicker and more fit to chase these guys around.

What I found most interesting is that his all-time starting 5 has 3 white guys on it.

Learning to shoot layups

Larry Bird and 80s Celtics cemented themselves in Jordan's mind. LeBron following Jordan's footstep by playing & winning in weak eras.

Not surprised by his all-time five at all. He held Hakeem to such a high standard, and deservedly so. And I'm not surprised by McHale at PF given that he was considered by people that actually played him as one of the best players to ever play the game (Chuck said he was the best player he ever played against for example). Of course, he didn't have the longevity, but he arguably had the most refined post game of all time.

I wonder if his team would change now that Shaq has finished his career and Duncan & Kobe are close to finishing theirs. I'm guessing he'd put Kobe at the 2 guard as he said Kobe is the only player that could be compared to himself. I think he still considers Hakeem as the GOAT center, but not sure if he'd put Duncan over McHale. I suppose there's a difference when you physically play someone as opposed to watching them.

Love Live Life

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Not surprised by his all-time five at all. He held Hakeem to such a high standard, and deservedly so. And I'm not surprised by McHale at PF given that he was considered by people that actually played him as one of the best players to ever play the game (Chuck said he was the best player he ever played against for example). Of course, he didn't have the longevity, but he arguably had the most refined post game of all time.

I wonder if his team would change now that Shaq has finished his career and Duncan & Kobe are close to finishing theirs. I'm guessing he'd put Kobe at the 2 guard as he said Kobe is the only player that could be compared to himself. I think he still considers Hakeem as the GOAT center, but not sure if he'd put Duncan over McHale. I suppose there's a difference when you physically play someone as opposed to watching them.
    I would like to know who he would pick now also. Think he would pick Kobe and Shaq. Maybe Duncan idk I never had a chance to see West and Mchale play for real.

Local High School Star

Would be interesting for sure.

Here's his team from July 2005:
    MRS: Michael, I'm now giving you the opportunity to create the Dream Team of Michael Jordan, of all players of basketball. You're on the team, and you can name four other guys at different positions. That doesn't mean there aren't 20 other great guys for those positions, but you can explain your picks.

JORDAN: That's a very good question. It's going to be somewhat biased because I didn't play back in the days of Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, some of the great stars prior to me. And it's very tough because I'm friends with a lot of players today.

But if I had to pick a center, I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him.

Power forward: There's James Worthy, whom I love, and he is a North Carolina guy. Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, whom I adore and is a good friend, and Charles Oakley. But in terms again of versatility, it has to be Larry Bird. The things he could provide to you all around: his demeanor, his work ethic and his versatility once again.

(continued from page 5)

The idea here is I would build a versatile, multitalented team able to do so many different things. When the defense comes at you, they have to guard a lot of different areas, and that makes Larry Bird the choice for me.

Small forward: That is the toughest part because I played with one of the best small forwards, Scottie Pippen. He is as versatile as it comes. He handles the ball. He's a good defensive rebounder. I would be hard-pressed to pick someone else at the small forward position, even though I know Dr. J [Julius Erving] is sitting right there, too, especially in terms of excitement. And there's Dominique Wilkins, too. And you'd have to think about Elgin Baylor, even though I never saw Baylor play, or played with him. But from what I know, and what he could provide, it's Scottie Pippen. I know that's being biased to some degree. But I can't help it.

Point guard: That's easy. Magic Johnson. Because of his height, you'd have a tough time defending him. It's a beautiful thing to see a 6-foot 9-inch guy rebound the ball and start the break.

It would be the all-time tallest team, putting me at the two guard. And coming off the bench would be Jerry West to replace me. I love Jerry West.
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe...ordan_6189/p/6

You'll notice it's fairly similar to the 2000 team with the exception of Bird shifting to the 4 to replace McHale and Pippen being inserted at the 3. When you look at the team he was trying to build (multidimensional, versatile), I'm not sure if he'd be willing to insert Duncan in there, who is very versatile for a big, but I'm not sure if he provides the same mismatches that Bird does at the 4 although I'm sure the defense would improve but I've heard people say Bird did fine at the 4, he had great instincts and his post-defense was good (not really familiar with his game).

I think he'd still pick Hakeem over Shaq because I don't think Shaq did anything post-2005 that would make Jordan re-consider his stance. Like you said, he's always respected Hakeem a lot and when I hear Jordan talk, I think he really valued versatility and being able to impact the game in a variety of ways, so it makes sense why he's high on Hakeem.

Not sure about Kobe. He was consistent about his stance on West in both the 2000 and 2005 line ups though.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Small...quick as hell and a lefty

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

I haven't read every word ever uttered by jordan but my recollection is he was talking about "of the current era" meaning after he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Would be interesting for sure.

Here's his team from July 2005:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfe...ordan_6189/p/6

You'll notice it's fairly similar to the 2000 team with the exception of Bird shifting to the 4 to replace McHale and Pippen being inserted at the 3. When you look at the team he was trying to build (multidimensional, versatile), I'm not sure if he'd be willing to insert Duncan in there, who is very versatile for a big, but I'm not sure if he provides the same mismatches that Bird does at the 4 although I'm sure the defense would improve but I've heard people say Bird did fine at the 4, he had great instincts and his post-defense was good (not really familiar with his game).

I think he'd still pick Hakeem over Shaq because I don't think Shaq did anything post-2005 that would make Jordan re-consider his stance. Like you said, he's always respected Hakeem a lot and when I hear Jordan talk, I think he really valued versatility and being able to impact the game in a variety of ways, so it makes sense why he's high on Hakeem.

Not sure about Kobe. He was consistent about his stance on West in both the 2000 and 2005 line ups though.
    for many years I've had almost that same lineup as my humble input of greatest team of all time.
    Chamberlain C
    Jordan G
    West G
    Bird F
    and Kareem at the PF / C for twin towers.

I watched KAJ from his days in UCLA (and of course the Dipper was in the NBA) and to me the ultimate paint scenario of all time is Kareem & Wilt playing the totally forgot hi-lo Center game.

With Magic Johnson coming off the bench because he can play any position always.

Local High School Star 3LiftHeatCurse's Avatar

Statistically, Jerry West was a better scorer than Kobe, and a better all around player.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

answers are pointless.

interview was conducted B.K., before kobe

After Kobe, all the answers would been the mamba.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    answers are pointless.

interview was conducted B.K., before kobe

After Kobe, all the answers would been the mamba.
    no the second interview was 2005 and he still had west and magic as his Gs

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
    Statistically, Jerry West was a better scorer than Kobe, and a better all around player.
    he always was better my friend.