Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

97 bulls

no use.....lot of so called hoop fans see bird's color...not his game strengths/weaknesses

so in their mind...bird could beat one of the complete defensive players of all time...and a very good offensive player in a game of one on one... even though logic says they are wrong

again....micheal cooper locked down bird in a team game.....running through screens, picks....in a no zone era...

pippen would bother bird on defense and blow past him on offense

case closed

Just 1 Rational Fan lbj23clutch's Avatar

I choose Bird. Much more skilled, much higher basketball IQ and on top of that Bird may have been one of the most competitive players of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    I can tell the fools that never saw Pippen being matched up with Bird...Bird ate Pippen's lunch on many an occasion...and the Bulls would have to put Brad Sellers on Bird instead of Pippen cuz he was LONGER than Pippen and had a better chance at contesting...

BIRD TOOLED PIPPEN just like any other small forward during his time, PERIOD>

22 yr old pippen played against bird and the celtics 3 times as a rookie. In those games, brad sellers started

one game, sellers played 42 minutes to pippen 7

Another game, pippen played 15 minutes while sellers played in 33

And the last one, pippen played 25 min and was 8-11 good for 73% shooting.

Bird played against and did most of his damage vs sellers.

I don't see what's so hard to comprehend. Pippen didn't play against bird enough to draw the kind of conclusions your trying to derive. And he was a rookie.

Its actually a huge disservice to bird that the best you can do is compare him in his prime to scottie pippen as a 22 year old rookie

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Do you understand the concept of 1 on 1? Do you really see bird being able to stick jumpers in pippens face more than pippens capable of going around bird or hitting open jumpers? I mean, bird must guard pippen too.

Bird did it ALOT...of course i can see it, i saw it with my 2 eyes DUDE...

Great college starter

22 yr old pippen played against bird and the celtics 3 times as a rookie. In those games, brad sellers started

one game, sellers played 42 minutes to pippen 7

Another game, pippen played 15 minutes while sellers played in 33

And the last one, pippen played 25 min and was 8-11 good for 73% shooting.

Bird played against and did most of his damage vs sellers.

I don't see what's so hard to comprehend. Pippen didn't play against bird enough to draw the kind of conclusions your trying to derive. And he was a rookie.

Its actually a huge disservice to bird that the best you can do is compare him in his prime to scottie pippen as a 22 year old rookie

NOT AT ALL man...Bird ATE PIPPEN'S LUNCH....they had to put Sellers on him cuz Pippen would and was getting smoked. Bird smoked many a small forward more athletic than he was....Bird raped Pippen then even when he was having back problems and he would do it again if it was prime vs. prime..

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    You are a giant bulls homer.

So because Bird was one of the greatest offensive players and shooters of all time doesn't mean he could beat those under him?? And also doesnt mean he is CAPABLE?????!?!?! WTFFF

What does it mean then? Bird was a fraud who was only successful due to isolated situations?

How old are you? Do you even understand the essence of Bird's game? You keep saying how bird wouldnt be as effective 1 vs 1. Are you high? Is there a pattern of mental retardation in your family? I feel these questions would help me understand your views more.
    I pride myself on being the biggest bulls homer that frequents this forum. I'm in historic and present day bulls threads more than any other bulls fan.

I believe you are the one that doesn't understand birds game my friend. Birds games wasn't one that's condusive to 1 on 1. That's why I can't understand why the pro bird camp insists on centering their arguments around what bird did in an nba setting.

I guess I should shouldn't have used the word capable. I just don't see bird being a strong iso player. That wasn't his game.

Steve Nash is one of the most fundamentally sound PGs ever, but in a game of 1 on 1 where man defense and isolation becomes more paramount, I don't see him being able to beat, john wall for example. Cuz he can't stay in front of him

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    NOT AT ALL man...Bird ATE PIPPEN'S LUNCH....they had to put Sellers on him cuz Pippen would and was getting smoked. Bird smoked many a small forward more athletic than he was....Bird raped Pippen then even when he was having back problems and he would do it again if it was prime vs. prime..
    Lol ok whatever

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    97 bulls

no use.....lot of so called hoop fans see bird's color...not his game strengths/weaknesses

so in their mind...bird could beat one of the complete defensive players of all time...and a very good offensive player in a game of one on one... even though logic says they are wrong

again....micheal cooper locked down bird in a team game.....running through screens, picks....in a no zone era...

pippen would bother bird on defense and blow past him on offense

case closed
    You know what's funny is that a lot of people feel the same way. Bird does get overrated due to his being whit. And this is a prime example of it.

I pride myself on being the biggest bulls homer that frequents this forum. I'm in historic and present day bulls threads more than any other bulls fan.

I believe you are the one that doesn't understand birds game my friend. Birds games wasn't one that's condusive to 1 on 1. That's why I can't understand why the pro bird camp insists on centering their arguments around what bird did in an nba setting.

I guess I should shouldn't have used the word capable. I just don't see bird being a strong iso player. That wasn't his game.

Steve Nash is one of the most fundamentally sound PGs ever, but in a game of 1 on 1 where man defense and isolation becomes more paramount, I don't see him being able to beat, john wall for example. Cuz he can't stay in front of him
    Being a homer means you have an irrational attachment to your team.. anyway..

You don't see Bird being a strong ISO player? Birds game isn't conducive to 1vs 1?

Did your mother smoke crack when she was pregnant with you? What is wrong with you??

Do you really think that Bird scored however many 40 and 50 point games strictly off situational plays? And couldn't create his own shot? Thats basically what you are saying is that bird was a product of his system. I mean someone posted a video where he posts up scottie 1 on 1 and jordan comes over to help and he still drains it in their faces. But being able to do that is of course not conducive to 1 on 1.

I mean for the love of christ, bird has like 2 40 point triple doubles in a row where he scores with only his left hand. Does that tell you anything about Bird's game?

You realise bird was usually covered by the other teams best and most athletic defender.. right?

I dont even know where to go from here... just the fact that you are talking about this like Bird doesn't even have a chance tells me you are retarted or the biggest bulls homer ever like you admitted. So you're not being rational anyway.

Great college starter

You don't see Bird being a strong ISO player? Birds game isn't conducive to 1vs 1?

Did your mother smoke crack when she was pregnant with you? What is wrong with you??

Do you really think that Bird scored however many 40 and 50 point games strictly off situational plays? And couldn't create his own shot? Thats basically what you are saying is that bird was a product of his system. I mean someone posted a video where he posts up scottie 1 on 1 and jordan comes over to help and he still drains it in their faces. But being able to do that is of course not conducive to 1 on 1.

I mean for the love of christ, bird has like 2 40 point triple doubles in a row where he scores with only his left hand. Does that tell you anything about Bird's game?

You realise bird was usually covered by the other teams best and most athletic defender.. right?

I dont even know where to go from here... just the fact that you are talking about this like Bird doesn't even have a chance tells me you are retarted or the biggest bulls homer ever like you admitted. So you're not being rational anyway.

He' talking like this is something new and has never happened before....Bird has smoked Pippen many times in the past in 1 on 1 situations, so i don't see where the hell he's coming from with this crap.

College star

Bird is the best offensive player of all time. He topped out at 30ppg playing team -oriented. He's one of the best post players of all time. He's arguably the best shooter ever. He never at any point in his career had a problem getting his shot off and is one of the best ever at shooting contested jumpers. He could score with either hand, making him one of the most unpredictable scorers ever too.
    On top of that he also has extremely great footwork. He wasn't fast, but always a very quick player, had great endurance, dexterity, body-control and hand-eye-coordination.

So yes, he could absolutely not score against Pippen consistently.

Pippen on the other hand, has the following offensive qualities that make him an extraordinary threat one-on-one:
    he's athletic and fast.

I'm very rational. I just don't see how a great scorer and poor defender (man defender) trumps a very good scorer and great defender.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

I'm very rational. I just don't see how a great scorer and poor defender (man defender) trumps a very good scorer and great defender.
    You might be the worst poster on this site and that is saying something.

Because the best offensive player beats the best defensive player hands down. How many times in an NBA game do you see a player score on somebody who played perfect defense? Happens every single game.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3
    You might be the worst poster on this site and that is saying something.
    LOLWUT! That 07 Cavs team was 3-1` without Lebron and had the best offense in the league when he didn't play! Replace Lebron with a good 2 way SF like Gerald Wallace and they are the champs. Hop off Lebrick's nuts, he has had stacked teams, HCA, unfair officiating, and biased scorekeepers and still has done nothing of note
    Because he never beat Bird's Celtics or the prime Bad Boys, never won without Pippen, and had the worst shooting season of anyone to score over 20ppg?