Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: want hops

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

Default Re: want hops

Quote Originally Posted by orfeomorfeo-ita
    But what the hell, do you know what you're talkin about?

A) there's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16: Yes, there's a lot wrong. It's dangerous for de muscular, scheletrical and connettive tissue.

B) You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height: No. There's an enormous amount of variables, but growth isn't over until 22.

Please, when you try to be helpful about things that regard also health, be sure you know something about it, instead of giving your fallen-from-the-sky opinion.
    What are you talking about. There's not much wrong with weight training at 15-16. This is around the time most athletes bodie's have matured, and grown to almost their maximum height. Why do you think they start you lifting weights when you enter high school? Most of the "weightlifting stunts growth talk" is just a myth, it does happen to a very,very, rare person, but various other things can also stunt growth.

Yes, growth doesn't fully come to an end until you're around the age of 20. However, I said if he is comfortable with his height, than it is safe for him to start weight training. I think maybe you got to do some thorough research on this topic before you give people advice like this. You should also look up "connettive and scheletrical tissues" because I'm pretty sure neither exist.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by otmtheshank
    What are you talking about. There's not much wrong with weight training at 15-16.
    There is. I'll explain you why.

This is around the time most athletes bodie's have matured, and grown to almost their maximum height.
    Height is really different than growth. And I assure you that the 15 yo athletes I train are really far, in their body development, from the 20 yo guys.

Why do you think they start you lifting weights when you enter high school? Most of the "weightlifting stunts growth talk" is just a myth, it does happen to a very,very, rare person, but various other things can also stunt growth.

I don't care how High School organizes its courses, given how it's directed towards finding a quick way to win, and not the best to prepare an athlete for the long term. Auxology explains that big stresses like those generated by serious weightlifting can affect with minor or major injuries the joints. I'll explain you better after..

And obviously weightlifting doesn't stunt growth. The danger isn't that.

Yes, growth doesn't fully come to an end until you're around the age of 20. However, I said if he is comfortable with his height, than it is safe for him to start weight training.
    And no it's not. It's not safe.

I think maybe you got to do some thorough research on this topic before you give people advice like this. You should also look up "connettive and scheletrical tissues" because I'm pretty sure neither exist.
    I assure you that my advices have good sources. (I'm an athlete, I'm weightlifting since 2000, when I was 17. When I was 20 I had a meniscectomy to resolve a deterioration injury caused by deep squatting. I have a degree in biomedical engineering, and I'm an athletic coach. I train boys and girls from 11 to 15.)

About the tissues. I'm sorry for the bad translations:
    Human tissues are divided in 4 big cathegories:

connective tissues (Whops! sorry! I forgot a c. What a jerk I am)
    nervous tissue, muscle tissue and epithelium

Connective tissue includes bone tissue (that's what I was referring to)

About the injuries:

Muscle development and connective tissue development are not synchronized during the big growth spurt that takes place with puberty. Bones quickly become longer, but muscles, tendons and ligamens rarely keep up that pace.
    So what we have is big bone bulk with muscle stretched on it.
    A correct youth training should take great care of this weakness in order to prevent joint injuries (usually hips, knees and ankles are the most sensible joints)
    [Apart from the fact that in that age technical and coordination training should be preferred, on account of the highest sensibility in those areas that the body has, compared to the really small it will be left with after 20]

In this critical condition (long bone, short muscle, ligamens and tendons), increasing muscle mass would result in a further stress to be suffered from the tendons, on account of the major muscular tone that the muscle would come to keep. Morevoer the strenght a body would gain, used for its purposes (i.e. Jumping higher, running faster..) would cause bigger stresses for the ligamens and the joints.

Moreover, the very weightlifting exercise (all kinds of squat, olympic lift, horizontal and oblique bench, and other..) put the joints under a stress that the body isn't able to stand.

This stresses result in injuries (acute or chronic), like breaking of the knee's ligamens, strains for muscle and tendons, breaking of the meniscus.

What a youth should do if he wanted to increase his strenght is:

a) execute no-overweights exercises, i.e. running uphill. Generally they are exercises thought to increase strenght without overloading the joints, that lead to a gradual growth for the whole motor system.
    b) take care of the elasticity of his muscles, to decrease the injury danger I've explained... this is done through stretching (at the end of the training) and other exercise that actively elongate the muscle (during warm up)
    c) learn the techinque of the main whole body weightlifting exercises, like squat, squat jump, olympic lift, snatch (? not sure about the translation), bench.. In a few years (if his body is well developed, but it's not something he can judge by himself) he'll be able to start weightliftings. When that happens, it will be really important (for his strenght growth and for his health) that he has already learned the correct execution of the movements, because wrong execution is another dangerous source of injury.

Saw a basketball once MOSHiNATOR's Avatar

ok, im 13 and im 5'4 i just started lifting 8 pound weights like a month ago. Do you think i could upgrade into a more heavy weight and do smaller reps, keep up what im doing, or just completley stop due to "i may be damaging something inside"

any advice would be nice.

:)

I usually hit open layups

[QUOTE=MOSHiNATOR

Saw a basketball once captobvious's Avatar

man are you retart or did some one drop you on your head when you were a baby the man/woman knows what there talking about listen to them dumbass

Saw a basketball once captobvious's Avatar

god dam man i carnt wait intil you get out of school and on to the streets your going to get bashed because you are a rasict little **** and when people (xxnuxeusxx for example) try to give you advice you try to shut them down you just think your better then every one else with your 16' vert god dam its going to be funny when your 21 years old and your still 4 foot 9 this is directed to little spyder
    Last edited by captobvious; 10-03-2007 at 05:28 AM.

sounds to me like orfeomorfeo-ita and xxnexusxx (i think) :P knows what ther talking about. im 14 and i asked my doctor about stuff like that when i sprained a ankle a while ago and he basically said the same stuff to me about the growth stunting and all the plyometric programs.
    Last edited by alx1ndr; 10-03-2007 at 12:52 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

I'm 5'10 and weigh around 200 pounds. Basically, my vertical is around 14-16 inches. I can just touch the backboard. I'm 19 btw (just hit). Should I do Air Alert? Or should I just focus on losing the weight and maybe the vert will just get higher by itself?

One thing to people who want to jump higher; learn to play first. I play with so many people that can jump and they suck. I school them with such a low vert it's sad. You can beat the athletic people with fundamentals alone even though it's harder.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by littlespyda
    thanx but why dont you shut up! do you think im 5!!! and it wont stunt my growth. and dont use f-ckin between jesus and christ you satanist.
    what if some people on here are satanists? how do u feel now? just because u think your religion is the best u dont need to be a little ***** about it

Quote Originally Posted by littlespyda
    im not stupid. you can say whatever you want but i am still growing. when i started aa i was 4'9.5'' and now im 4'10''. in one of the reviews i looked at online someguy had his 11 year old son do it. i dont think he would have had him do it if it was going to stunt his growth plates or whatever. also on the aa website it says to be 11 and up. guess what!!! im 11 einstein!!! and i havent done 800 burnouts yet and it is just jumping up and down anyway!!! now i think your just hating on me because your mad that you probably have a 5 inch vert and i have 16.25".

First off, stop bragging about your crappy vert. So many people can jump higher than you, including myself and probably many more on the forums.

Also, I'm 13 and my parents/ basketball coach and other people tell me to keep the f*** away from stuff like that.

Also, do you really want to stay at like 4'10, and have weak ass legs just to improve your vert by a couple inches now?

Right now, im just trying to run and do pushups/situps and running and stuff like that to just to become athletic before I can start really working out by the time i'm 16.
    Last edited by Zak; 12-14-2007 at 01:16 PM.

I'm 17 and I probably jump less than any of you, but I can dunk better than all of you! So STFU and continue growing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    First off, stop bragging about your crappy vert. So many people can jump higher than you, including myself and probably many more on the forums.

Also, I'm 13 and my parents/ basketball coach and other people tell me to keep the f*** away from stuff like that.

Also, do you really want to stay at like 4'10, and have weak ass legs just to improve your vert by a couple inches now?

Right now, im just trying to run and do pushups/situps and running and stuff like that to just to become athletic before I can start really working out by the time i'm 16.
    Bit late?

Saw a basketball once

uhh everybody that says lifting will stunt your growth is full of shi-t. i started lifting 2 years ago i was 5'4 and barely able to touch net. right now im 6'2 and can grab rim

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by pelle
    uhh everybody that says lifting will stunt your growth is full of shi-t. i started lifting 2 years ago i was 5'4 and barely able to touch net. right now im 6'2 and can grab rim
    Shut the **** up.

I bet your only like 14 right now. How stupid do you have to be to weight lift at such a young age. No one does that, it takes so much more time, motivation, dedication and determination especially for someone so young. Everything you need to gain weight is harder because of your low attention spans, and your flip-flopping psychology about your body. You could want to get big at one moment, then a few months later, you want to stop and not do anything.

Saw a basketball once

The people telling you to wait and not do any programs at such a young age are correct. What's the point of going on some program at 12 when I can guarentee that when you are 16 you will be able to jump alot higher, just because your body developed. Then at 16-20 you could go on a program because at that time you probably grew to jumping the highest you will ever be able to jump without any programs.

Things you can do that won't stunt your growth are little things like riding the bicycle and doing small jumping excercises (like jumping to see how far you are from dunking each day). These things won't stunt your growth.