Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Ed Davis put on 20 pounds of muscle this summer

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I said it's impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle, not 20 pounds. I could probably gain 20 pounds in a month if I ate enough. The idea that you can put on 20 pounds of muscle without negatively changing your body composition without any type of illegal supplements is plain wrong.

Yeah, Blake Griffin also happens to be a professional athlete who probably works out an hour or more a day and burns a bunch of calories. He's clearly going to need more food to maintain his body weight. When you factor in exercise it wouldn't surprise me at all if he has to eat between 5,000-6,000 calories. To gain muscle you have to eat a 300-500 caloric surplus... if Blake burns let's say 5,500 calories per day then he's gotta eat anywhere from 5,800-6,00. Still doesn't change the fact no one's putting on 20 pounds of muscle.
    Okay but then we said 17 pounds of muscle, 3 pounds of fat for example and you still implied that was "genetically impossible". I admitted a little of it, though not much may have been fat. We even included the possibility of creatine and supplement stacking. So why impossible when you have personal chefs and the best trainers/equipment available?

I don't mind learning new things or people disagreeing but you called me an idiot or stupid more than once when nothing I said was coming out of my as* but rather what I've learned being around my dietitian girlfriend, bodybuilding/personal trainer friends and religiously buying Men's Fitness mags.

Have I personally tried to gain 20 pounds? No way! Because as I said... I'm an endomorph. It's easy as hell for me to gain weight, a bit*h to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    I would assume the weight gain would be pretty lean overall because of great genetics, the amount of cardio he must be doing (to stay in basketball shape) and as a basketball player it's in his interest to minimize how much fat he puts on. It's impossible to know what the diet routine was but 20 lbs would be pretty bad for a dirty bulk if he's been working out since the season ended (7 months ago). And I agree 20 pounds of muscle is impossible to gain in 4 months unless you literally have the best genetics in the world or are running a cycle. I do think however a 15 lb lean muscle gain over the 7 months (didn't read anything in the article saying it was 4 months) is easily possible though for a committed newbie with good genes (avg gain of .5 lean mass per week).
    Good post. I never specified 4 months either.. I just got a bit defensive when people said it's IMPOSSIBLE. I guess I don't like people saying impossible when I've seen it before. As I said it could very well have been 17 pounds muscle, 3 pounds fat or something like that AND it could have been over the course of 7 months. Plus as I said.. creatine and supplements can be factored in.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    I would assume the weight gain would be pretty lean overall because of great genetics, the amount of cardio he must be doing (to stay in basketball shape) and as a basketball player it's in his interest to minimize how much fat he puts on. It's impossible to know what the diet routine was but 20 lbs would be pretty bad for a dirty bulk if he's been working out since the season ended (7 months ago). And I agree 20 pounds of muscle is impossible to gain in 4 months unless you literally have the best genetics in the world or are running a cycle. I do think however a 15 lb lean muscle gain over the 7 months (didn't read anything in the article saying it was 4 months) is easily possible though for a committed newbie with good genes (avg gain of .5 lean mass per week). If Davis already had the mass of a guy like Karl Malone and came out saying he gained 20 lbs with most of it being muscle...then I'd call BS.
    Oh no doubt, for a noobie 15 pounds of muscle in 7 months is definitely possible.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Okay but then we said 17 pounds of muscle, 3 pounds of fat for example and you still implied that was "genetically impossible". I admitted a little of it, though not much may have been fat. We even included the possibility of creatine and supplement stacking. So why impossible when you have personal chefs and the best trainers/equipment available?

I don't mind learning new things or people disagreeing but you called me an idiot or stupid more than once when nothing I said was coming out of my as* but rather what I've learned being around my dietitian girlfriend, bodybuilding/personal trainer friends and religiously buying Men's Fitness mags.

Have I personally tried to gain 20 pounds? No way! Because as I said... I'm an endomorph. It's easy as hell for me to gain weight, a bit*h to lose.
    If he was using creatine than some of that weight is most definitely water weight.

Magic Johnson

Good post. I never specified 4 months either.. I just got a bit defensive when people said it's IMPOSSIBLE. I guess I don't like people saying impossible when I've seen it before. As I said it could very well have been 17 pounds muscle, 3 pounds fat or something like that AND it could have been over the course of 7 months. Plus as I said.. creatine and supplements can be factored in.
    You've seen someone gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months with no body fat? Give me their email because I wanna know the hell they managed to do that.

If he was using creatine than some of that weight is most definitely water weight.
    Definitely can have some water weight. I guess we will see what his weight is after training camp. If it's water weight it's going to shed. Obviously if he drops down to 225 or less we are going to know it was all water weight. If he somehow remains 230+ then it will be amazing to see.

You've seen someone gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months with no body fat? Give me their email because I wanna know the hell they managed to do that.
    Well... they gained a couple pounds of fat I'm sure. I meant that their actual body fat actually got lower due to the increase of muscle. If you have a 10 percent body fat at 200 pounds let's say... and you add 15 pounds of muscle, 5 pounds of fat.. mathematically your body fat percentage is actually going to improve right? That's what I meant.

Magic Johnson

Definitely can have some water weight. I guess we will see what his weight is after training camp. If it's water weight it's going to shed. Obviously if he drops down to 225 or less we are going to know it was all water weight. If he somehow remains 230+ then it will be amazing to see.
    I don't know his starting weight but I'm guessing he gained like 8-10 pounds of muscle and 10-12 of those pounds are water weight that he'll eventually lose once the NBA season starts.

I doubt you've ever taken creatine or gone on a bulk before but a lot of people see their weight go up 5-10 pounds because of their glycogen stores being filled and their bodies getting used to the extra calories.

I don't know his starting weight but I'm guessing he gained like 8-10 pounds of muscle and 10-12 of those pounds are water weight that he'll eventually lose once the NBA season starts.

I doubt you've ever taken creatine or gone on a bulk before but a lot of people see their weight go up 5-10 pounds because of their glycogen stores being filled and their bodies getting used to the extra calories.
    This is definitely true and no I've never taken creatine. I don't disagree with this though. Water weight is technically not gaining fat though . I would change it to Ed Davis put on 20 pounds of muscle and water this summer... but it wouldn't sound as good!
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 12-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Learning to shoot layups R-Pattz's Avatar

Oh shite...that's awesome. Time to jump on the trade Bargnani bandwagon? :s

Love how quick some people can discredit a 22 year old pro athletes potential at building muslce.

Little easier to add muscle to a frame when you have 7 feet to work with, eat well, sleep right and youre not some 5'10 poster on ISH saying it's impossible with a bowl of frosted flakes all mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Finger Roll
    Love how quick some people can discredit a 22 year old pro athletes potential at building muslce.

Little easier to add muscle to a frame when you have 7 feet to work with, eat well, sleep right and youre not some 5'10 poster on ISH saying it's impossible with a bowl of frosted flakes all mad.
    I Lol'd.