Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Serious playground baller Fazotronic's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt's Playoff Numbers in the 60's without Russell and Thurmond

its hilarious how guys like lazeruss and before jlauber are always trying to convince the world of how awesome wilt is and always end up forcing ppl to bring up all the ugly stuff. and the list is getting bigger

couple years ago i only thought he was overrated beacause of the competition.
    the whole choking aspect puts it on a whole other level.
    dude gets even subbed OUT of the game in crunch time like WTF

to bad they all hidding the videos to not show how ridicoulus some games were.
    like you have to be kidding thinking anyone now or in future looks at 100 point game and goes WOW.
    Its not even RECORDED

Nice... Pretty impressive considering the fact that he was guarded by defenders as tall as his waistline.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    It's so often been mentioned that Wilt has never been outrebounded in a playoff series that I never bothered to check it. The fact is he was outrebounded once.

In the 1965 EDSF Jerry Lucas outrebounded Wilt Chamberlain 21.0 rpg to 20.0 rpg. BRef has Lucas with 84 rebounds and NBAstats.net has Wilt with 80 rebounds in the series.
    Good catch...

Of course, Chamberlain was defended by Wayne Embry in that series, and outrebounded Embry, 20.0 rpg to 6.3 prg.

In their '67 playoff series matchup, it was Dierking trying to hang with Wilt, and Chamberlain outrebounded him by a 26.5 rpg to 13.0 rpg margin. Lucas did average 19.0 rpg in that series.

BUT, how about when it was actually Lucas vs. Wilt? In the '72 Finals, a 35 year old Wilt, playing 49.2 mpg, outrebounded a 31 year old Lucas, who played 46.6 mpg in that series by...get this... a 23.2 rpg to 9.8 rpg margin.

Incidently, Clyde Lee outrebounded a prime Kareem in the Warriors-Bucks 72-73 playoff series, 17 rpg to 16 rpg. Hell, when Nate got in foul trouble, he even shut down Kareem on the offensive end.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...78/2/index.htm

It was a difference Coach Al Attles spotted long ago. But Attles couldn't start Lee regularly until the playoffs for he was injured much of the second half of the season. Over the year, he played only 22 minutes a game, averaging six points and nine rebounds. In the playoffs he was on the floor more than any other Warrior,[COLOR="DarkRed"] pulled in more rebounds [COLOR="DarkRed"](17 a game)[/COLOR] than anyone on either team[/COLOR] and, in the fifth game, the 100-97 win that turned the series Golden State's way, it was Lee who led the Warriors.

Lee describes himself as a player "who has no moves, who can't jump and who doesn't have any kind of shot from more than a few feet away from the basket." What Lee can do is box out a freight train, tap in rebounds with the fingertip touch of a safecracker and do both of those things aggressively and tirelessly for 48 minutes. He is, in short, a consummate rebounder. He performed that job admirably in all four Golden State wins, but in the fifth game he added a couple of extra dimensions to bring the fans to their feet. He hit eight of 13 shots, two of them tough, short jumpers on which he was fouled, converting the free throws for three-point plays. More important was his defense on Abdul-Jabbar in the second half, when Milwaukee was rallying and Thurmond sat out 13 minutes after drawing his fifth foul with 7:58 to play in the third quarter. Lee guarded Kareem for all but 19 seconds of that time, holding him to one basket. It was that performance that made the folks back in Oakland, and the Warriors, stand up and put on a show of their own for Clyde Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Face
    Nice... Pretty impressive considering the fact that he was guarded by defenders as tall as his waistline.
    Since you are so knowledgeable on the subject...please provide the rest of us with that list of NBA centers whom he faced....

Chamberlain OWNED Thurmond in their three playoff series H2H's, but even moreso in their critical games...

For the uninformed that honestly felt that Nate Thurmond even remotely played Wilt close in the playoffs...how about their last four H2H's of each series:

'67:

Nate: 13.5 ppg, 25.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, .323 FG%
    Wilt: 20.0 ppg, 25.0 rpg, 4.0 apg, .561 FG%

Last game of series:
    Nate: 12 points, 22 rebounds, 5 assists, 4-13 FG/FGA
    Wilt: 24 points, 23 rebounds, 4 assists, 8-13 FG/FGA

'69:

Nate: 14.5 ppg, 15.5 rpg, 4.0 apg, .353 FG%
    Wilt: 12.8 ppg, 23.5 rpg, 2.8 apg, .538 FG%
    Known Blocks, Wilt with a 37-11 edge, or over 9 bpg!

Last game of series:
    Nate: 8 points, 14 rebounds, 1 assist, 3-13 FG/FGA
    Wilt: 11 points, 25 rebounds, 1 assist, 5-9 Fg/FGA, 10 blocks

'73:

Nate: 14.3 ppg, 15.0 rpg, 4.0 apg, .371 FG%
    Wilt: 8.5 ppg, 22.8 rpg, 5.0 apg, .692 FG%
    Wilt with a known 21 blocks

Last game of series:
    Nate: 9 points, 14 rebounds, 6 assists, 2-9 FG/FGA
    Wilt: 5 points, 22 rebounds, 7 assists, 2-2 FG/FGA, 6 blocks

Total domination.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Good catch...

Of course, Chamberlain was defended by Wayne Embry in that series, and outrebounded Embry, 20.0 rpg to 6.3 prg.

In their '67 playoff series matchup, it was Dierking trying to hang with Wilt, and Chamberlain outrebounded him by a 26.5 rpg to 13.0 rpg margin. Lucas did average 19.0 rpg in that series.

BUT, how about when it was actually Lucas vs. Wilt? In the '72 Finals, a 35 year old Wilt, playing 49.2 mpg, outrebounded a 31 year old Lucas, who played 46.6 mpg in that series by...get this... a 23.2 rpg to 9.8 rpg margin.

Incidently, Clyde Lee outrebounded a prime Kareem in the Warriors-Bucks 72-73 playoff series, 17 rpg to 16 rpg. Hell, when Nate got in foul trouble, he even shut down Kareem on the offensive end.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...78/2/index.htm
    Clyde Lee was a heck of a rebounder. That '72-'73 Warriors team was actually quite talented even though they were clear underdogs to the Bucks.

PG: Jim Barnett
    SG: Jeff Mullins - 3x all-star and great shooter
    SF: Rick Barry - superstar
    PF: Clyde Lee - 1x all-star
    C: Nate Thurmond - superstar

Bench: Cazzie Russell, Ron Williams

Clyde Lee was a heck of a rebounder. That '72-'73 Warriors team was actually quite talented even though they were clear underdogs to the Bucks.

PG: Jim Barnett
    SG: Jeff Mullins - 3x all-star and great shooter
    SF: Rick Barry - superstar
    PF: Clyde Lee - 1x all-star
    C: Nate Thurmond - superstar

Bench: Cazzie Russell, Ron Williams
    Yes, Lee was one of the best of his era, in terms of TRB% (as was the little known Tom Boerwinkle.).

BTW, I was just giving you a bad time, since you brought up that Lucas-Wilt series.

Kareem was a very under-rated rebounder thru his 75-76 season. He was outrebounding Thurmond as badly as Chamberlain was in their H2H's.

I have long said, that a PEAK, Kareem, from 70-74, was not only a great scorer, rebounder, efficient, player, but his defense was brilliant, as well. He anchored FOUR of the best defensive teams of all-time from '71 thru '74.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Nobody is going to take you seriously spewing out such hyperbole

I quit taking him seriously a few years ago when he was posting under another name. The guy's in love with Bill Russell and will do anything to disparage Chamberlain to make him look bad and lift Russell. He can't stand the possibility that Chamberlain might have been the better player. Pretty much all of his spew has been shot down by various posters at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    I quit taking him seriously a few years ago when he was posting under another name. The guy's in love with Bill Russell and will do anything to disparage Chamberlain to make him look bad and lift Russell. He can't stand the possibility that Chamberlain might have been the better player. Pretty much all of his spew has been shot down by various posters at one time or another.
    Clearly you're thinking of another poster.

I never posted under another name and no I'm not a Russell lover or Wilt hater. Get a mod to do an IP scan.

Wilt sucking offensively against Thurmond in the playoffs is true though.

Clearly you're thinking of another poster.

I never posted under another name and no I'm not a Russell lover or Wilt hater. Get a mod to do an IP scan.

Wilt sucking offensively against Thurmond in the playoffs is true though.

Whatever you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Helix
    Whatever you say.
    Seriously I never posted under another name.

Seriously I never posted under another name.

Ok, my mistake.....I apologize. It's just that your posting is eerily similar to someone else that used to post here. Also, I took your username to be a dead giveaway. I guess I was wrong.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

at removing 2 of his best rivals to prop up Wilt's greatness.

You'd think his accomplishments would speak for themselves, but I guess not. Now you have to remove 2 of his best rivals to prove how great he was