Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Default Re: How much is Jeremy Lin gonna get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    They can't. They can offer $5 million.
    That kind of sucks for Lin. Even if he averages 30/15 and leads Knicks to championship with Melo and Amare on the bench, he'll only get 5 mil a year max?

Reality blended with optimism would lead me to believe he can produce Tony Parker like numbers like 17 and 8 or something, which would be unfortunate if he only got 5 mil a year. If that happens it would be ironic an undrafted in the 1st rounder into star Arenas screws over a pure undrafted star.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    That kind of sucks for Lin. Even if he averages 30/15 and leads Knicks to championship with Melo and Amare on the bench, he'll only get 5 mil a year max?

Reality blended with optimism would lead me to believe he can produce Tony Parker like numbers like 17 and 8 or something, which would be unfortunate if he only got 5 mil a year. If that happens it would be ironic an undrafted in the 1st rounder into star Arenas screws over a pure undrafted star.
    How does it suck when he was looking for jobs on monster.com while waiting for email responses to teams overseas he was interested in? You go from making peanuts with no job security to making $5mil per? Thats a good deal.

If he does what you claim? Couldnt he just sign a 1yr deal? I dont know how this works but he doesnt have to sign a long term deal. Being restricted doesnt that mean he is automatically due a certain amount for 1 yr if he elected to not sign an offer sheet or whatever NYK offered him in terms of a contract (long term)?

He can go that route. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm clueless when it comes to this part of bball.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    How does it suck when he was looking for jobs on monster.com while waiting for email responses to teams overseas he was interested in? You go from making peanuts with no job security to making $5mil per? Thats a good deal.

If he does what you claim? Couldnt he just sign a 1yr deal? I dont know how this works but he doesnt have to sign a long term deal. Being restricted doesnt that mean he is automatically due a certain amount for 1 yr if he elected to not sign an offer sheet or whatever NYK offered him in terms of a contract (long term)?

He can go that route. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm clueless when it comes to this part of bball.
    He'll sign 1 or 2 years with Knicks for MLE and then they can sign him to a big deal for bird rights. I know NYC gets overstated as a market for some guys (like a Lebron, etc.) but it's not overstated here. The huge asian population here is helping to push the phenomenon. He's going to do just fine. Whatever salary he won't get from a bigger contract, he'll get from ad dollars if he wants it. He is a god already. If the Knicks win (and i know we are far from that) he'll literally have a lifetime blank check in the city. And the NYC / Chinese market connection is ridiculous.

I'm having trouble feeling bad that the NBA is not set up where a star pops up and the team that got him automatically loses him. People want us to lose him to like Toronto where he'd get paid more and the phenomenon would die (no offense but Raptors are not tearing it up right now).

My wife is japanese and identified because he's asian. She wanted a shirt. I went to Modells where they know me (i live practically next door) and they went to the back where they saved some shirts. They went through hundreds of shirts from Saturday morning - by 3pm when i went (and also bought Twisted Metal at the local video game store which i haven't been able to play yet!). Hundreds. In a local store in Brooklyn.
    Last edited by niko; 02-13-2012 at 04:16 PM.

There are rules so players in first few years can't make too much money. Blake Griffin is only making $5.7 million in his 3rd year and he is one of the best players in the league.

So yes he can "only" get 5 million a year max. He'll still be doing better than most 1st round picks stuck on their rookie scale contract. Like Rubio.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    There are rules so players in first few years can't make too much money. Blake Griffin is only making $5.7 million in his 3rd year and he is one of the best players in the league.

So yes he can "only" get 5 million a year max. He'll still be doing better than most 1st round picks stuck on their rookie scale contract. Like Rubio.
    True but Blake is going to get paid once he's out of his rookie contract. If hypothetically Lin performs like crazy this season, it will be a rare case where a player proves his worth before his contract runs out, and then cannot cash in to his worth on the upcoming contract.

Both Rubio and Blake can sign contracts gauged at the level of their play after their initial one runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB

That's what I'd imagine he'd do. Just thought his case was interesting.

True but Blake is going to get paid once he's out of his rookie contract. If hypothetically Lin performs like crazy this season, it will be a rare case where a player proves his worth before his contract runs out, and then cannot cash in to his worth on the upcoming contract.

Both Rubio and Blake can sign contracts gauged at the level of their play after their initial one runs out.
    Lin will have full bird rights at the same time as they would get their big deals. I'm not feeling this argument.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

The better question is he gonna get max? The answer is no, he wont.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Considering how marketable he is to the Asian community, which is huge in NY, $5 million is actually quite cheap.
    This. Other teams are willing to pay more than his worth because he sell tickets, advertisements, etc. It's all about $$ in return.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    This. Other teams are willing to pay more than his worth because he sell tickets, advertisements, etc. It's all about $$ in return.
    This is moot because Jeremy is restricted FA.

Thanks

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Bazillion dollars!