Page 57 of 166 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067107157 ... LastLast
    NBA All-star

Default Re: NBA Trade/FA Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think people are just making Kobe out to be a bigger jerk than he is. This whole Kobe personality bashing thing is getting out of hand. None of us know him personally lol.

it all depends on which side of the teammates he wakes up to

Nope, he should have done what Dirk and Duncan did. I'm not sure why he didn't. Maybe he's thinking he is going to play until he's 40. I feel like the Lakers did a bad job negotiating.
    Okay now I'm beginning to see where we differ. You say its the lakers fault, I say its Kobe's fault.

Let me ask you now, aside from these Anthony rumors heating up, how come Lebron wants to come to LA, as a clipper, and not as a laker? Is it because lakers management? Or is it because Kobe?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Okay now I'm beginning to see where we differ. You say its the lakers fault, I say its Kobe's fault.

Let me ask you now, aside from these Anthony rumors heating up, how come Lebron wants to come to LA, as a clipper, and not as a laker? Is it because lakers management? Or is it because Kobe?
    I say it's both their faults, but I think it's more the Lakers fault.

I don't think Lebron can be a Clipper. I think that's all just a rumor too. Why would Miami trade him there? It would have to be a sign and trade. Lebron can't force it. Miami would be better off letting him walk then all the contracts they would need to take on in return. Unless they send Blake Griffin over in which case I'm not too scared of CP3, Lebron, & DeAndre Jordan in the West. He'd be far better off just staying in Miami if that was the case.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

I think people are just making Kobe out to be a bigger jerk than he is. This whole Kobe personality bashing thing is getting out of hand. None of us know him personally lol. He's always very articulate in his interviews. I have no problem that Kobe didn't like a guy like Smush Parker. He knew better and stayed away from that loser.
    I don't know him personally or emotionally (I have no emotional attachment to Kobe) so I feel as if it's a reasonably fair assessment that some people don't get along with him he isn't the typical NBA personality, I would NEVER make the mistake of calling Kobe stupid that is one thing he most definitely is not, he is very articulate and intelligent (I could imagine he has a reasonably high IQ as well), some people just don't get on with others and Kobe does tend to have a tendency when you watch him play you can see that he takes over but there are times when he is the main option (fair enough) that he hasn't in the past diverted as much as he could to others, whether Kobe is arrogant/with a big ego it wouldn't be surprising (how many professional athletes legitimately wouldn't have an ego) it's more so that I think others can be put off because of his personality you can see it in interviews and his interactions, social interactions like press conferences and the like I think it just bores him and I think with extroverted players who liked to have fun (Howard; Shaq) I think because Kobe is a perfectionist/cannot accept failure or losing I don't think he saw them as giving their all, I think he's gotten better with age though I think he's gotten far less reserved and more personable to other players though in recent years just from watching his media interaction and comments as time has gone on. You don't need much proof to see he's stubborn (Jackson's comments is enough for that) but stubbornness isn't bad everyone is stubborn about some things. I believe you can tell a lot about someone's personality to those they don't know well or see as important (Kobe probably doesn't see the need to be friends with reporters in comparison I have friends who are extremely arrogant to bartenders etc) I think in his interactions with the media though it is pretty obvious he's introverted and very serious (in some interviews though I find him quite funny on late night shows in the off season I've watched). I don't think I'm character assassinating him at least no where near as much as some have said on other online sites or media outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I think I agree with you. The issue is Kobe has a huge ego and that ego gets in the way at times, especially when you mix that in with Kobe's personality. I do have similar personality as Kobe (introverted, not very personable, etc), but not an ego. If I had a similar ego as Kobe's, I think I would be a jackass too.

Big ego + alphadog personality could be extremely unpleasant to be around. I'm sure other players around the league know that too about Kobe. I'm surprised Gasol has worked out for all these years - I guess he doesn't have a huge ego and alphadog personality so he lets Kobe get away with it.

Me personally, I would not last playing as Kobe's teammate for more than 2 seasons max -- he would hear from me. This is same reason why Phil/Shaq/Kobe didn't work out pre-2005. Phil/Shaq are the type of people that will call you out in front of everybody if they see something they don't like.
    I don't think Pau has much of an ego at all (excluding when he was benched) but he's also an elite sportsman no one will take kindly to not being started if they think they can do better type thing, Pau and Kobe I think are similar in some ways (Pau is very quiet and from all the work in charities quite a sensible and kind person from all the things he does that he doesn't have to not only donating money but physically visiting other countries/charities I'm sure he could just send a cheque ) but yeah I think Pau for the most part doesn't have much of an ego at all and a little mentally fragile/can get down when there has been trade rumours etc and he was traded he did get down in playstyle and looked even depressed at times, as long as you respect Pau I think he'd be easy to get along with seems welcoming, a bit shy but seems like he doesn't have much of an ego (in comparison to the ego most sports players have) seems quite humble.

I think Kobe would respect people for calling him out if they had a logical point to calling him out (logical to him anyway), I think him and Shaq collided was their personality differences and more so Shaq was sloppy with workouts and training apparently (opposite of Kobe, serious and introverted + playful and extroverted isn't the end they can compliment but when such a thing as work ethic which Kobe values so highly I believe I don't think that would work...odd how he thought he and AI would work though because apparently Kobe was often very annoyed at Shaq's dedication to training/preparation).

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    I don't think Pau has much of an ego at all (excluding when he was benched) but he's also an elite sportsman no one will take kindly to not being started if they think they can do better type thing, Pau and Kobe I think are similar in some ways (Pau is very quiet and from all the work in charities quite a sensible and kind person from all the things he does that he doesn't have to not only donating money but physically visiting other countries/charities I'm sure he could just send a cheque ) but yeah I think Pau for the most part doesn't have much of an ego at all and a little mentally fragile/can get down when there has been trade rumours etc and he was traded he did get down in playstyle and looked even depressed at times, as long as you respect Pau I think he'd be easy to get along with seems welcoming, a bit shy but seems like he doesn't have much of an ego (in comparison to the ego most sports players have) seems quite humble.

I think Kobe would respect people for calling him out if they had a logical point to calling him out (logical to him anyway), I think him and Shaq collided was their personality differences and more so Shaq was sloppy with workouts and training apparently (opposite of Kobe, serious and introverted + playful and extroverted isn't the end they can compliment but when such a thing as work ethic which Kobe values so highly I believe I don't think that would work...odd how he thought he and AI would work though because apparently Kobe was often very annoyed at Shaq's dedication to training/preparation).
    Kobe would never accept any sort of "calling out".

Charles Barkley straight up called Kobe a tanker, Kobe fills up Charles' phone with profanity. Karl Malone called Kobe out once as described by Phil in "The Last Season" as a very tense confrontation, and Karl is an older man with many accolades given throughout his career.

There's a pattern. What Kobe needs to realize is that in every area, there is some sort of give and take. He does not want to give. He won't change his style of play. He won't take a paycut. Somehow with these last two criteria, he wants to win championships.

He's 36 years old, if he hasn't changed by now, he will never change. His personality has been formed way after his 3rd championship. At this point, Im just waiting for something big to happen. Until this thing happens, I do not see how the "Kobe way" is a winning way at this point.

NBA All-star

where do I deposit for bitcoin and purchase reputation bars here?

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Kobe would never accept any sort of "calling out".

Charles Barkley straight up called Kobe a tanker, Kobe fills up Charles' phone with profanity. Karl Malone called Kobe out once as described by Phil in "The Last Season" as a very tense confrontation, and Karl is an older man with many accolades given throughout his career.

There's a pattern. What Kobe needs to realize is that in every area, there is some sort of give and take. He does not want to give. He won't change his style of play. He won't take a paycut. Somehow with these last two criteria, he wants to win championships.

He's 36 years old, if he hasn't changed by now, he will never change. His personality has been formed way after his 3rd championship. At this point, Im just waiting for something big to happen. Until this thing happens, I do not see how the "Kobe way" is a winning way at this point.
    Although I don't agree with filling his phone with profanity (then again I never exactly researched when people have called Kobe out although when he signed the Lakers contract extension he did hit out at fans and people condemning it though), but based on the people you listed I probably wouldn't take that much notice in all honesty (Barkley was a great player but some of the things he say's on TV are at times laughable or stupid or both at the same time), I could see the Karl situation as very awkward I wouldn't see that going down well...then again despite him being arguably the greatest power forward although Duncan seems unanimous nowadays some of the things he's said in the past just makes me think especially his comments to Magic at least he applauded Collins last year but anyway that's irrelevant on the point, I would hope that Kobe if he was consulted in private with a logical viewpoint might indeed accept criticism...doing it aggressively though in front of people that's just going to make you an enemy (privately it could be the same but I hope it'd be different).

I don't personally like that Kobe took the paycut but honestly if I was offered $48 million coming off an achilles injury...don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all it'd be hard to reject even if you are rich, it's an insane amount of money (but Kobe has made over $200 million so it would have been nice had he taken less). I can see why Kobe would accept it not agree with it but I can see that there aren't that many that would turn it down (although those at the big 3 still took a fair bit less). I live in hope that if Melo joins he might take up a role as not necessarily a spot up shooter but more of the role he's played on team USA (where at the last olympics he was still heavily involved but it wasn't like Kobe on the Lakers, far more ball movement far more fluid passes from him) I don't see if you can do it on team USA surrounded by even more ego's why he couldn't do it if Melo came here (I live in hope).

I feel my post might be a bit negative on Kobe he has won 5 titles...but this isn't young Kobe anymore this is 35/36 year old Kobe who really shouldn't be a number 1 option heck at his age you'd hope he could be a 3rd option and be a very dangerous third option or second option but a first option is asking a heck of a lot but then there isn't much you can do if he refuses to not be the first scoring option.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    (although would explain why some on here I've seen with high reputation bars have them...bribery )

Home of the 16

One thing I'll actually pay for is my join date. I joined ISH around late 2007 (Dec), I was prolly 13 or 14 years old. Good lord did the MODS love me. haha <3

I'll rep you.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 06-28-2014 at 08:57 AM.

NBA All-star

I don't see if you can do it on team USA surrounded by even more ego's why he couldn't do it if Melo came here (I live in hope).
    I'm just still happy about Lakers stealing Randle at 7

Very good NBA starter

When did a free agency thread turn into a gossip topic about Kobe

Seriously though I've always seen Kobe as the teacher that's very hard on a particular student, but only because he sees the potential in them. A lot of people he may come off as an asshole, but if you're willing to work hard and step up the the plate he'll ride and die for you. One thing he despises are lazy people and that's why he had so much bad blood with Smush. It's not a surprise that players like Ariza and Butler developed relationships with him and their games took off from working out with him. He no doubt has a good relationship with Carmelo and that's pretty much the only reason Carmelo is wiling to sit down with the Lakers despite being one of the weaker free agency choices. As far as Lebron, he just wants the easy way to everything. He doesn't have the confidence in his own abilities to overcome any challenge. but if the Lakers had the cap space to sign him Carmelo and another all star player he'd quickly ditch the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    When did a free agency thread turn into a gossip topic about Kobe

Seriously though I've always seen Kobe as the teacher that's very hard on a particular student, but only because he sees the potential in them. A lot of people he may come off as an asshole, but if you're willing to work hard and step up the the plate he'll ride and die for you. One thing he despises are lazy people and that's why he had so much bad blood with Smush. It's not a surprise that players like Ariza and Butler developed relationships with him and their games took off from working out with him. He no doubt has a good relationship with Carmelo and that's pretty much the only reason Carmelo is wiling to sit down with the Lakers despite being one of the weaker free agency choices. As far as Lebron, he just wants the easy way to everything. He doesn't have the confidence in his own abilities to overcome any challenge. but if the Lakers had the cap space to sign him Carmelo and another all star player he'd quickly ditch the Heat.
    Short explanation I get bored and it was on my mind so I brought it up so it was my doing in part (albeit I expected to get flamed for it that didn't quite happen ), besides only so much can cover it was irrelevant but with a related relevance haha (related to the potential joining of Melo haha)

Unfortunately I've never really had the hard teacher in school or anything like that for the most part (only the populists who prefer to be liked...I've always been one to prefer to be respected or feared than liked, being liked by everyone I just find boring although it can help). Fast and furious quote by the way? Had the Lakers had a better team (say had Howard stayed) or the like I could have seen the Lakers being the standout favourites to sign Melo (they were tipped by many to be a high chance start of the season) but for some reason stand no chance now maybe because they were terrible and Kobe barely played I don't know but I still think thety are a chance not favourites but they go to default favourite if the others don't clear enough cap space to sign him albeit they'd need a rim protector so badly (amusing and a touch annoying Dwight would have fitted in well...had he accepted his specific role), variety is the spice of life I for one think it's nice to have a discussion that is a bit out of the norm (even if it is "gossip" )

Honestly I think ultimately along with his relationship with Wade fear motivated LeBron the most to leave the Cavs, it was the fear that he could never win a ring and more so that he would be remembered like other players who are remembered as great players but almost with question marks because they didn't win a ring (not how I see it but how so many seem to), to quote Napoleon "Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.". The amount of social media pressure showed before he won a ring I just don't think he wanted to risk that knowing there was a more logical and easier way to go with the Heat (self interest and fear? tick and tick haha)

I'm just still happy about Lakers stealing Randle at 7
    I'm kind of "happy" more just content I think it's just one step in a much larger puzzle and there's no room to even think about counting a victory just yet (I'm not saying you are counting it as mission accomplished) but I'm just meaning well it should be just a content tick at the moment cross off drafting a player with potential now try and achieve something bigger/better, even if LeBron/Melo is ambitious it's possible...not probable but possible at least the FO are trying...hire someone convincing show some thinking just Kobe might not be convincing enough have Melo sit in with Kobe; Kareem (even if his relationship with the front office could be sketchy), Melo, Worthy, heck bring the whole showtime freaking Lakers to meet with him, the Warriors use West as a consultant (if that's not influence what is), the Lakers need a figure when you are talking to Kupchak you are talking to a good GM...but a "closer" or figurehead that captivates attention and makes you believe with passion and charisma don't see that (not like Riley does or West could) just try everything possible to accomplish it, I know if I'm an FA Kobe could be convincing but Kobe with management? Well Kobe is convincing but management? It's not Dr Buss anymore it's Jim Buss and the Buss siblings...not that inspiring, the Rockets pulled Dwight with the use of the great center's they've had (Malone; Ming well injury cut him short of potential greatness, Hakeem, I think Sampson was there too again injuries but still). Don't bring a knife to a gunfight bring a freaking rocket launcher

NBA All-star

It's not Dr Buss anymore it's Jim Buss and the Buss siblings...not that inspiring, the Rockets pulled Dwight with the use of the great center's they've had (Malone; Ming well injury cut him short of potential greatness, Hakeem, I think Sampson was there too again injuries but still). Don't bring a knife to a gunfight bring a freaking rocket launcher
    idk, financially, the word Buss has generally rang a nice tone to players

as for inspiration.

a coach might help.

okay, I guess the word Buss rangs nice to coaches too.