Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Shaq breaks on all the other centers...

"All the othe centers I demolished crushed and obliterated. Hakeem is the only one I couldn’t… Hakeem had all the skills and I just couldn’t break him. A lot of guys I could break mentally first before the game even started."

On yahoo sports radio. The comment above is at the six minute mark.

http://www.yahoosportsradio.com/nba/shaq0914-7275/
    Last edited by Pointguard; 09-15-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Shaq breaks on all the other centers...

whole interview
    How are you?

Whats up buddy, how are you?

Doing good. Good to have you on the program. I know a lot of fans are excited to see you on TV. That show has such great chemistry with Kenny, Ernie and Charles. Have they talked about your role? Just Shaq being Shaq?

Yeah, just me being me but when I go up there, you have another expert. I consider Ernie an expert, I consider Charles an expert. One more expert on the panel of four.

Are you going to make a point to wear all four rings on the first night just show you can show them to Charles?

No, no, I'll never do that.

On the lockout, what's your sense on this thing? Are we in for 1999 all over again or could it be worse?

The only people who really get messed around with in this whole situation is the fans. If both sides come to a great business agreement and get things going on time, it will be good but I'm hearing that's not the case right now but hopefully gets resolved very soon.

As a former player, only for a few months now but do you think the players watched what went on with the NFL and saw them kind of come together in that whole thing and take that as a lesson that we need to repair this thing quickly?

I think they did but you have to understand one of the critical issues: not all NBA teams are making money. That's the owner's beef. They want to cut back on certain things and players want certain things. It's all business. All the teams in the NFL are making money so it was advantageous and quick for them to go do what they needed to do. The NBA is different. A lot has to be talked about and hopefully they get it done.

Do the guys generally believe, I think the number was 22 out of 30 owners are losing money. Do the guys generally believe those numbers are accurate?

I think if you have a smart enough business to open the books and look at the books, see what really goes on, that may be true, it may not be true, but ???(open the books?)

In 1999, the owners waited out. A certain fraction of players need the money, living paycheck to paycheck. You have been good with your money. Have you seen a teammate reckless like that and pulled him aside and said what are you doing?

I dont want to talk about people's personal life's but there are stories on the internet, and stories about what guys have done. I'm not at liberty to say this guy has done this or this guy has done that.

COming off a great 2010-2011 season. LeBron took a lot of criticism during the Finals. Justified?

Some of it probably wasn't but everyone goes through it. Jordan, the greatest player in the world, took a lot criticism, I took criticism, Magic took criticism, Kareem took criticism. LeBron is a great player, great team player. He was playing great team ball but when you play great team ball and dont win, of course being the best player on the planet, all the blame is on you.

LeBron a good teammate?

Best teammate ever. Very unselfish. He wants to get you involved before he gets himself involved. Now in Miami where you have another guy who dominates the ball, they had to mix it up at times. They had the most success when Wade was scoring one night, then LeBron scoring one night. Both those guys cant take 30 shots and get 30 points.

Do you think the mix right now can work or do they need to add something to make it work and win a title?

I think the mix can work. They made it to the finals and fell short to a better team. Dallas was more well-rounded. Ball moved more, Dirk played out of his mind.

Also played with Kobe. Do you think Kobe gets out when he has some game left or will they have to drag him off the floor?

Probably have to drag off the floor. Already is the number one Laker. He always used to say that when he was 18. "I'm gonna be the number one Laker, the number one player ever", he accomplished all that. He probably wants to tie Mike with six rings or even get seven rings. He already passed everybody up as far as points, game played, everything in that organization, he wants to be the number one guy.

This show is based out of Houston. You faced Hakeem in the finals early in your career. Who was your toughest matchup when you were in the game?

First, I want to thank people for going to all my 24 hour fitness' in Houston and in Pearland. I live in Pearland actually. Second of all, Hakeem was the only guy, only center I couldn't defeat. All the other ones I demolished and crushed and obliterated. Hakeem Olajuwon was the only one I couldnt.

What made him so tough?

He had all skills. I couldn't break him. A lot of guys I could break mentally first before the game even started.

You went 68-1 in 2 years at Cole HS in SA. What did that one team do to beat you?

I missed 4 FTs with like 25 secs left.

The Oreo triple-double promotion you have going on. Talk about that.

Oreo has changed the game when it comes to how you twist, lick and dunk your cookie. Now got this triple double, combing two layers of oreo creme, one chocolate and one of the original. One of the best oreos out there and only 100 calories per cookie so thats nice

Watching the calories now that you're out of the game?

Yes I am.

You made a ton of money. You're into so many things. What intrigues me the most about you, you went back and not only got your degree but got an online degree at the University of Phoenix in MBA. Do you let the University of Phoenix count your income towards the average income for their graduates?

I have to correct you there buddy. It wasnt online. UoP is set-up online but I got with the university and I went to class.

Did you really?

Of course. I didnt want people to question me doing it online. I went to class brother. Every day.

Thats great. What was it like?

It was me and 12 other students. It was fun. Got a chance to bond together, learn together and grow together.

Best of luck with Oreos and look forward to seeing you on TV.

Thank you.
    lebron best teammate ever lmao

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Dang, I would have loved to see a Shaq prime vs. Wilt prime battle... that would have been awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
    whole interview
    lebron best teammate ever lmao

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

wats so funny about lebron being a good teammate?

Sabonis would have owned Shaq. We saw how bad shaq was with barely any injuries at the same age that Sabonis was when he came over. I wish I could see 1990 Sabonis vs 2009 Shaq and see who looks better. Shaq would be singing a different tune right now. Shaq also got spanked by a young Tim Duncan.
    Last edited by RoseCity07; 09-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbacardDOTnet

whats so funny ******

NBA rookie of the year

So he owns multiple gym's in the Houston area. Nice. Smart and ironic.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    Sabonis would have owned Shaq. We saw how bad shaq was with barely any injuries at the same age that Sabonis was when he came over. I wish I could see 1990 Sabonis vs 2009 Shaq and see who looks better. Shaq would be singing a different tune right now. Shaq also got spanked by a young Tim Duncan.
    no doubt this is an overstatement. though he was quite dominant. at least as much because the refs swallowed their whistles most of the time. Dude was basically opening a whole like a fullback and then hitting it.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I don't recall Duncan ever "spanking" Shaq. In fact, when Duncan was guarded strictly by Shaq, which usually occurred in 4th quarters, he struggled to shoot 40% at those times (and it was probably closer to 33%.) A prime Sabonis would have no more success than a prime Ben Wallace (who couldn't "hold" Shaq down at all without help.)

And I really believe Shaq was being kind towards Hakeem, whom he outplayed over the course of their entire careers (in terms of both stats and wins.)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=onealsh01

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    And I really believe Shaq was being kind towards Hakeem, whom he outplayed over the course of their entire careers (in terms of both stats and wins.)

Olajuwon beat Shaq when it mattered. And Shaq probably judged with gameplay not stats.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I don't recall Duncan ever "spanking" Shaq. In fact, when Duncan was guarded strictly by Shaq, which usually occurred in 4th quarters, he struggled to shoot 40% at those times (and it was probably closer to 33%.) A prime Sabonis would have no more success than a prime Ben Wallace (who couldn't "hold" Shaq down at all without help.)

did you see the three years in a row that old ass sabas played him in the playoffs? Sure, he didnt shut him down by any stretch, but he was one of the better shaq defenders despite his age and crippled state. Oh yeah, how did that finals matchup between ben wallace and shaq end up? I forget.

also, you dont play against stats and wins. Hes talking about direct competition and specifically the outcome of games/series

im a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Olajuwon beat Shaq when it mattered. And Shaq probably judged with gameplay not stats.
    shaq didnt get dominated, his team did.
    he was neck and neck with hakeem in that series. and the only reason he holds hakeem in such high regard was because he beat him in the finals. and that was only shaqs 3rd year.

shaq would have mopped the floor with him given a few more years. though that goes for everyone thats ever stepped on the hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by donald_trump
    shaq didnt get dominated, his team did.
    he was neck and neck with hakeem in that series. and the only reason he holds hakeem in such high regard was because he beat him in the finals. and that was only shaqs 3rd year.

shaq would have mopped the floor with him given a few more years. though that goes for everyone thats ever stepped on the hardwood.
    Underrating Olajuwon there. No centre in hostory wipes the floor with prime Hakeem.

And no, Shaq wasnt neck and neck with Olajuwon. Statistically? maybe. I never said he domianted him either.

I suggest watching that series and then tell me he was neck and neck with him. Stats rarely tell the story.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    did you see the three years in a row that old ass sabas played him in the playoffs? Sure, he didnt shut him down by any stretch, but he was one of the better shaq defenders despite his age and crippled state. Oh yeah, how did that finals matchup between ben wallace and shaq end up? I forget.

Hakeem vs Shaq in the post-season...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...stats_playoffs

Duncan vs Shaq in the post-season...

regular season...

post-season...

Now, take away Shaq vs Duncan in '08, when Shaq was obviously well past his prime, and Shaq holds a 14-11 record.

Sabonis vs Shaq in the regular season...

and in the post-season...

Wallace vs. Shaq in the regular season...

Wallace vs Shaq in the post-season...

And in the '04 Finals, Shaq averaged 26.6 ppg on .631 shooting.