Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Westbrook's longevity

It's obvious that WB is one of the most, if not the most explosive players in NBA history. With that said, how long do y'all think he can keep up this sort of dominant play as time goes on?

Personally, I believe he will have a Wade like career. Injuries will catch up to him and father time will take away from his athleticism. Will he be able to adapt when this happens, or will he move out of the spotlight?

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Westbrook's longevity

I agree in that I think he will probably have a Wade-like decline in athleticism, but the difference is that Wade is much more efficient and was able to evolve. Russell's highest FG% is only 45.7, and he's coming off a season where he didn't even manage 43 (granted it was without Durant, but shooting 43.7 the year before doesn't help his case). He'll have a harder time adjusting into old age I believe, whether or not he has the skill set to make the changes I'm not too sure about, I need to watch more of him to decide

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    I agree in that I think he will probably have a Wade-like decline in athleticism, but the difference is that Wade is much more efficient and was able to evolve. Russell's highest FG% is only 45.7, and he's coming off a season where he didn't even manage 43 (granted it was without Durant, but shooting 43.7 the year before doesn't help his case). He'll have a harder time adjusting into old age I believe, whether or not he has the skill set to make the changes I'm not too sure about, I need to watch more of him to decide
    Yeah, i'd say he has 4-5 years left of being dominant, with a sharp decline when he hits 32/33

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Sadly, I don't he does

A lot of assists come from him just blowing by someone and making a kickout to an open shooter.

his passing ability and vision isn't elite, it's his athleticism and willingness to hit the open guy that's getting him all the assists.

to be fair to westbrook though I don't see him ever being as big of a bitch as wade is today. Wade is a flatout ***** these days....

I can see westbrook going hard until his body literally shuts down. Who knows what the results will be but the effort will always be there with a guy like westbrook. Same can't be said for that f@ggot loser in miami

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    Sadly, I don't he does

A lot of assists come from him just blowing by someone and making a kickout to an open shooter.

his passing ability and vision isn't elite, it's his athleticism and willingness to hit the open guy that's getting him all the assists.

to be fair to westbrook though I don't see him ever being as big of a bitch as wade is today. Wade is a flatout ***** these days....

I can see westbrook going hard until his body literally shuts down. Who knows what the results will be but the effort will always be there with a guy like westbrook. Same can't be said for that f@ggot loser in miami
    Yeah, honestly I can't picture WB being the type to be a beta role player such as Wade...

But at the same time, I would have never said a few years ago that Kobe would be the type to play when he is no longer elite but look at him

Depends on how much his bones will support. After some years injury free, he had 2 years suffering with injuries.
    If he can manage to stay injury free I can see him keeping his level until 34. I don't think he will adjust much (maybe use more his height on the post and focus on being a defensive stopper) so I think he runs out when his athleticism go away.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Westbrook is going to be an interesting player to watch as he gets older. Guards who make a living attacking the basket generally don't age well, even Wade was looking real shot at age 32.

The only guy I can think of that played at a top 10-12 level at age 32 was AI and he quickly fell apart just a year later.

I guess I can see Russ playing at this level for at least two more years......after that he is playing with house money.

Russ and Curry are 1A and 1B right now for best PG in the league, whatever your preference is really.. difference is, Curry's game will allow him to play into his 40's if he wants to

Good High School Starter

Hard to say when a guy will decline athletically.
    He just turned 27.
    Usually you'd expect a guy to start declining athletically around 30.

Jordan's last year with his full or near full youthful athletic ability was at age 29 or so (1993).

Kobe's last Prime year in terms of athleticism was 2009 (age 30).
    Vince started going downhill around then also.

Wade started losing it in 2012 (age 30).

Of course being from the most modern age we have new training methods, medicines, PED's and other stuff so that all might make a difference.
    Plus different athletes age differently.
    W-Brook also takes good care of his body and works out hard but he also plays wrecklessly and has an intense motor which puts more strain on his body.

Assuming no major injuries I think Brook will remain a force for atleast a couple more years.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Russ and Curry are 1A and 1B right now for best PG in the league, whatever your preference is really.. difference is, Curry's game will allow him to play into his 40's if he wants to
    Not so sure about.

Curry isn't super athletic, but he still has to have enough quick-twitch and agileness to get the shots he attempts off. I don't know if he can continue to play at an all-star level if he loses a bit of that.

Quote Originally Posted by game3524
    Not so sure about.

Curry isn't super athletic, but he still has to have enough quick-twitch and agileness to get the shots he attempts off. I don't know if he can continue to play at an all-star level if he loses a bit of that.
    Not saying he will be playing at an all star level into his 40's, but a contender could use an old man Curry's GOAT stroke regardless of his age

Westbrook is going to be an interesting player to watch as he gets older. Guards who make a living attacking the basket generally don't age well, even Wade was looking real shot at age 32.

The only guy I can think of that played at a top 10-12 level at age 32 was AI and he quickly fell apart just a year later.

I guess I can see Russ playing at this level for at least two more years......after that he is playing with house money.
    I think A.I had some issues with alcohol too? I mean, he didn't just gradually decline from one year to the next, it was a sharp nosedive in terms of production, like a 9ppg drop from 2008 to 2009.

Not so sure about.

I think he's got at least 5 years at this level before you see any real decline, and his shooting is at such a level that he'll be relevant well into his late 30's if he plays that long, even in a reduced role.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    It's obvious that WB is one of the most, if not the most explosive players in NBA history. With that said, how long do y'all think he can keep up this sort of dominant play as time goes on?

Personally, I believe he will have a Wade like career. Injuries will catch up to him and father time will take away from his athleticism. Will he be able to adapt when this happens, or will he move out of the spotlight?
    I thought out of Rose and Westbrook back in like 2011, Westbrook would have the hardest time playing every game healthy. Boy was I wrong...

Barring fluke really bad injuries, he'll be fine. He'll be an All-NBA guard into his early 30's.
    Last edited by Rocketswin2013; 11-19-2015 at 06:03 PM.