Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #46
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board
Default Re: The NFC North is the best division in football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Gotta love homerism.

Not a shot at you. Most of us do it. But read that aloud and think about it.

I don't think what he said is homerism.

Labeling a team as a pretender indicates that they had no reason for their success and are actually a bad team. This could happen if a team plays in a soft division, catches teams on bad weeks, etc. That's not the case for the 2011 Lions, and it it still isn't the case this year. YES I KNOW they have played bad this year. They have multiple flaws, which I have already addressed, and they currently are NOT a good football team. However, that can change with a few minor changes, so labeling them as pretenders is ridiculous.
AboveTheRim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #47
raid09
Local High School Star

raid09 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim.
I don't think what he said is homerism.

Labeling a team as a pretender indicates that they had no reason for their success and are actually a bad team. This could happen if a team plays in a soft division, catches teams on bad weeks, etc. That's not the case for the 2011 Lions, and it it still isn't the case this year. YES I KNOW they have played bad this year. They have multiple flaws, which I have already addressed, and they currently are NOT a good football team. However, that can change with a few minor changes, so labeling them as pretenders is ridiculous.

Not as I see it. Labeling a team as a pretender indicates that they were deceptive in just how good they were. The Lions had an impressive 5-0 start last year, but since then have played mediocre football. A lot of teams have talent. The Lions are flat out not as good as they were advertised last year, and are not a serious playoff threat. They have some good pieces, but also have deficiencies in all aspects.

I have no problem with someone calling this team a pretender, and it's certainly not ridiculous to think it. You don't have to go from good to flat out awful to be a pretender.
raid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #48
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

TheNaturalWR has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Pretenders? Blow dick?

You can't honestly argue that they are untalented. The problem with this Detroit Lions team stems overall from a complete lack of leadership and discipline. Personal fouls are still happening way too often, stupid offsides, drops, redzone fumbles, abhorrent special teams play...But even with all of that, they still played the Chicago Bears very close and stayed within reach the entire game.

Are they a legitimate playoff threat this year? No, they aren't. Are they under performing? Yes, they certainly are. Are they a bad team? No. They are currently playing bad, but that will change once they figure out the issues I listed above (which are correctable issues).

It baffles me that people like you just go by the box score and say "The Lions are so bad! Stafford can't do anything! Calvin obviously fooled everyone last year (yes I've actually heard that argument). It seems like you don't watch them play at all, or if you do, are blinded by your love of the Vikings.

You probably won't respond because you won't be able to negate my arguments here, but I'd like to see what you have to say to this.

The Lions do indeed "blow dick". You're foolish if you don't think that. Besides Calvin, Stafford(even though he's garbage this year), and Suh who else on the team is talented? Tulloch is probably the only other player. You guys just aren't a talented team in general.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

AboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this boardAboveTheRim. is popular on this board

The lions have one of the most 'talented' defensive lines in the NFL. They may not be playing like that, but hey are.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #50
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

ballinhun8 is popular on this boardballinhun8 is popular on this boardballinhun8 is popular on this boardballinhun8 is popular on this boardballinhun8 is popular on this board

Funny he says the Lions were pretenders from last year (to an extent it is kind of true) yet he's so confident the Vikes are legit when in reality they are a much crappier tram hen their record suggests. They will soon come down to Earth when they actually have to put up a real offense against a real defense soon enough.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #51
TheWINdyCity
Doug. Gordon. Shabazz

TheWINdyCity has not been impressing people

No team in the NFC north has a losing record

For now
TheWINdyCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #52
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWINdyCity
No team in the NFC north has a losing record

For now

I could see every team having .500 or above by the end of the year (but both the Vikings and the Lions will have to fight to get there), with the Bears and Packers both above 10 wins.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #53
TheSilentKiller
NBA All-star

TheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTheSilentKiller is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bold statement: Lions will go 3-1 against the NFC North for the rest of the season

Last edited by TheSilentKiller : 11-06-2012 at 04:11 PM.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #54
TheWINdyCity
Doug. Gordon. Shabazz

TheWINdyCity has not been impressing people

Quote:
I could see every team having .500 or above by the end of the year (but both the Vikings and the Lions will have to fight to get there), with the Bears and Packers both above 10 wins.

I agree the NFC north always gets underrated while the NFC east gets overrated.
TheWINdyCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #55
AboveTheRim.
Great young streetballer

I'll avy bet any Vikings fans for the Lions/Vikings game this week. 1 week avatar of the winners choosing, no spread. Any takers?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #56
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
I'll avy bet any Vikings fans for the Lions/Vikings game this week. 1 week avatar of the winners choosing, no spread. Any takers?

Wish I took you up on this. I went to the game and it confirmed that the Lions are the biggest pretender the NFL has seen in quite a while. They'll go back to being the division's doormat now.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #57
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Funny he says the Lions were pretenders from last year (to an extent it is kind of true) yet he's so confident the Vikes are legit when in reality they are a much crappier tram hen their record suggests. They will soon come down to Earth when they actually have to put up a real offense against a real defense soon enough.

You're thinking the Bears as far as a team that is worse than what their record states.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: